Victorian independence - is it inevitable?

Remove this Banner Ad

What about all the regional areas some of which would probably prefer to stay with Australia?
It would probably end up being the Independent State of Melbourne, Geelong and maybe Ballarat

Yeah, it is a fair question, albeit could go the other way - as in what about parts of regional NSW that would like to join to Victoria?

As it is, we've got to draw the line somewhere, and the polity of Victoria is about the middle ground.

Ned have a lie down, your post makes no sense

so if dictator dan isnt smuggling in PLA troops, how do you think he is handing sovereignty of Vic over to China as you claim?

I think the current Victorian government will be in jail by the time that comes around. 6 potential manslaughter charges. Mikakos, Sutton, Romanis, Foley, Peake all listed. Mikakos has already indicated Nuremberg defence;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also could Victoria pay the 46billion it owes the rest of country for their ineptitude? Mmmm…..no industry as we have it all to Danny boy’s good mate in XI and the answer is No. XI did us a good deal he gave us a debt trap as well for the tunnel and the high capacity trains. There is a price to pay for being a willing Trojan horse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredible, unvelievable false equivalence.

The federal Liberal government alledgedly have a Chinese operative in their party room.

You have a cartoon.

:drunk:
Pretty amazing the levels of derp with the Liberal fans. Keep a Chinese plant in the party room because you need the vote, that's all good, sell off our ports to the Chinese, that's all good. Sign an MOU, cOMmUnIstS!

I thought only western Australians were like this, does every state have an Independence Party?

I thought secessionist movements are restricted to WA and Tasmania.

Seems very out of place for Victoria to be doing it too. Maybe it should be a movement to expel NSW from the Federation? Or seven some sort of serious discussion about re-working the Federation?

Before Covid I was broadly in favour of abolishing the states and replacing them with about twice the number of provinces. Now I am firmly of the opinion that states with real powers are needed to as one of the checks and balances against corruption or bad governance in the Federal parliament. Covid has shown that good state governments have been able to counter failures at the Federal level.

I thought secessionist movements are restricted to WA and Tasmania.

Seems very out of place for Victoria to be doing it too. Maybe it should be a movement to expel NSW from the Federation? Or seven some sort of serious discussion about re-working the Federation?

Before Covid I was broadly in favour of abolishing the states and replacing them with about twice the number of provinces. Now I am firmly of the opinion that states with real powers are needed to as one of the checks and balances against corruption or bad governance in the Federal parliament. Covid has shown that good state governments have been able to counter failures at the Federal level.

And QLD. The commonwealth is a product of NSW/VIC and failed the first referendum because qld was only just in favour but WA was against. In the end Victorian/NSW shearer’s went over and that swayed the vote just. They’ve never forgiven or forgotten.

Victorians need to reflect on how they went from being the seat of power (Menzies, Holt, McEwen, Gorton, Fraser, Hawke) to being usurped by Sydney ever since (Keating, Howard, Abbott, Turnbull, Morrison).

What happened?

Victorians need to reflect on how they went from being the seat of power (Menzies, Holt, McEwen, Gorton, Fraser, Hawke) to being usurped by Sydney ever since (Keating, Howard, Abbott, Turnbull, Morrison).

What happened?
Australia is following the US down the numpty evangelical right hole and we're not following.

Australia is following the US down the numpty evangelical right hole and we're not following.

this. I was genuinely in shock for the first time when driving around sydneys west and the hills how many billboards were up promoting all the various evan nutbagger freaks. In melbourne you have signs just at the churches, but these were all over the shop

before that i just assumed they were same as us on that scale

this. I was genuinely in shock for the first time when driving around sydneys west and the hills how many billboards were up promoting all the various evan nutbagger freaks. In melbourne you have signs just at the churches, but these were all over the shop

Different country.

What happened?

Great post. Last PM born in Victoria was Fraser in ... 1930.

Adding to this, I will observe that NSW had the highest percentage of NO votes for gay marriage.

Some would perceive gay marriage as being a sui generis situation driven partially by personal factors, but given that VIC and ACT (the most socially progressive places in the country) had the highest percentage of YES votes, I wouldn't be so certain.

If you regard being supportive of gay marriage as a barometer of social progressivism, then there's a real case to be made that NSW has become more socon than QLD.

QLD has definitely become more socially progressive over time because 1) we don't have as much immigration from socially conservative nations as Sydney has had, 2) Brisbane has grown substantially relative to the regions and 3) because ALP state governments have held sway for almost all of the past 30 years. NSW doesn't seem to have undergone that transition to nearly the same degree.

RE Victoria becoming its own state, I start thinking of Joh Bjelke-Petersen and his desire to make QLD an independent state, and that alone makes me believe that it's not a viable idea.

True, VIC's economy is more knowledge-based than QLD's, and is not quite as anti-intellectual as QLD traditionally has been*, but Australia in general has become more anti-intellectual over time due to importing US/UK trash culture, so I'm not certain that says much. You obviously can't have a real knowledge-based economy in an anti-intellectual culture, because such cultures obviously don't particularly value knowledge in the first place.

*Again though, many years of ALP state government have closed this gap somewhat. Peter Beattie, bless his heart, really wanted QLD to become a knowledge-based economy and reformed the education system heavily to this end. He succeeded in the latter but not the former.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back