Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

You could teach it in schools as a way to deconstruct news and advertising.
No, I mean... Who's teaching it? People who don't understand it themselves?
It's clearly a huge problem right now to ascertain the truth of something. And it's even harder to know if you've actually reached the truth, or if you're letting yourself be a little fooled, because it supports your world view.

I don't think anyone in the world is capable being completely immune to it.

So how do we set up the machinery... to create the tools to give people, so that they're able to combat it?

We're meant to learn a lot at school... It seems more and more people learn like a negative self-thinking habit.
You'd learn it at school.

That's admirable. If you'd actually do it.

You seem to look for things that affirm or reaffirm your point of view.
If you can't defend it, you just ghost.

And then make the same statement later. With no change.
My post was about watching these debates. Idk where I am on the trans thing so I watched Ben Shapiro debate Neil Tyson for example.

Who's going to teach the kids
I guess you'd just teach critical thinking.
I've engaged with you in good faith for long enough.
I've questioned how and WHO could teach this utopia, and you've had NO response.
My post was about watching these debates. Idk where I am on the trans thing so I watched Ben Shapiro debate Neil Tyson for example.

Please, actually, engage...

That's the only way I learned about what CRT was.
I'm genuinely sorry I missed this, because I thought you'd made a simple mistake with the acronym.

You've actually taken a stance on the US-Centric, Critical Race Theory.

Not a Teach Critical Thinking... acronym error.

Nah, go ahead. I've nothing to talk to you about. You're just a station for repetition.

While MIT and Berkeley recoiled at hosting him, Princeton University leapt at the chance to provide Abbot a platform by inviting him to deliver his planned Carlson lecture on Friday (AEST), the day it was originally scheduled at MIT.

Over 8000 people signed up for the virtual event, a huge turnout that Abbot acknowledges was driven largely by anger at his MIT cancellation rather than demand to hear about the potential for life on other planets.
He knows it would be easier for him if he restricted his public comments to geophysics. But he plans to keep speaking out on difficult topics like the role of race in university admissions. “I feel a moral obligation,” he says, “to continue to raise these issues.”

I'm genuinely sorry I missed this, because I thought you'd made a simple mistake with the acronym.

You've actually taken a stance on the US-Centric, Critical Race Theory.

Not a Teach Critical Thinking... acronym error.

Nah, go ahead. I've nothing to talk to you about. You're just a station for repetition.

I don't know what you're upset about, or what any of this means. Feel free to state directly what the problem is.

"
Instead, Van de Hilst told him he was cancelling the lecture because it had become too controversial.

“I was so shocked that I couldn’t speak for a while,” Abbot says. “I had no idea something like that could happen in America ... Apparently, I’m so morally polluted that if anyone hears anything I have to say bad things will happen.”
"

I mean, he's knee deep in it. Of course he knew it could happen.

"
Instead, Van de Hilst told him he was cancelling the lecture because it had become too controversial.

“I was so shocked that I couldn’t speak for a while,” Abbot says. “I had no idea something like that could happen in America ... Apparently, I’m so morally polluted that if anyone hears anything I have to say bad things will happen.”
"

I mean, he's knee deep in it. Of course he knew it could happen.
He's actively profiting from it.

Deliberate or not, he is a new platform for people who needed fuel.

It's almost as crude as shitting in a BigW and questioning why you're being removed when you're the expert in BBQ goods.

They know their target audience. For better or worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you upset about?

I am upset about it.
You pretending that that's the main point of my position, doesn't diminish my point for any rational thinker. Which you are(?), or pretend to be?

I've made it clear in the past. I've made it clear repeatedly in terms of the current topic.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/has-cancel-culture-gone-too-far.1240821/post-72715596
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/has-cancel-culture-gone-too-far.1240821/post-72715420
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/has-cancel-culture-gone-too-far.1240821/post-72715341

You'd have to be stupid not to at least 'guess' what my point is.

Your appeal to ignorance is the same power that the people you keep posting about hold. I don't hold you in good faith anymore. You responding in bad faith is treating me like trash, so I'll do the same in kind. Hope that doesn't 'upset' you. But if we're being bad faith, I'll insist all your posts are emotional. Like you are.

What is it?
You've posted before, about the toxicity of social media. I'll quote it now, because you'll probably lie in some way.
On a personal level I block news services on my social media because of the dishonesty and the rage baiting.
I also turned off the Discover tab on my browser. There are lots of such algorithms out there that encourage one to mindlessly click and become emotionally engaged.

Now you ignore actual engagement, and refute it by calling opposition "emotional" (as you've been taught to), and avoiding engagment.

You could teach it in schools as a way to deconstruct news and advertising.
No, I mean... Who's teaching it? People who don't understand it themselves?
It's clearly a huge problem right now to ascertain the truth of something. And it's even harder to know if you've actually reached the truth, or if you're letting yourself be a little fooled, because it supports your world view.

I don't think anyone in the world is capable being completely immune to it.

So how do we set up the machinery... to create the tools to give people, so that they're able to combat it?

We're meant to learn a lot at school... It seems more and more people learn like a negative self-thinking habit.

You, like a handful of others on this forum, have upset me, genuinely. Because I thought so much higher of you.

Turns out a bunch of vids on YouTube are enough to change who you are.
Now I need to waste time explaining things to you, that you'll never even pause to consider.

I'm coming across as arrogant, aggressive, and just plain rude. But Hodgepodge and others are right to call me out for being emotional.
They're wrong to dismiss my points on emotion.

I genuinely want to be shown how or why I'm wrong about things. I don't know anything in reality. Only what I've researched.

You've posted before, about the toxicity of social media. I'll quote it now, because you'll probably lie in some way.

Now you ignore actual engagement, and refute it by calling opposition "emotional" (as you've been taught to), and avoiding engagment.

You, like a handful of others on this forum, have upset me, genuinely. Because I thought so much higher of you.

Turns out a bunch of vids on YouTube are enough to change who you are.
Now I need to waste time explaining things to you, that you'll never even pause to consider.
I'm not ignoring engagement, and in any case I said in the case of social media that engagement was often a negative, so it's not even a contradiction if I were. And this isn't social media either.

Lol, nobody taught me to call you or anyone emotional. I'm bemused at why you've suddenly taken a turn is all.

The comments about videos changing who I am is also bizarre to me. I have found some videos illuminating or thought provoking, and I suppose that changes you a little, but that's not a bad thing.

Exactly. The proponents of 'cancel culture', as I see it, are more focussed on not letting us see it at all. This idea isn't new, things have been censored completely in the past if they are "bad enough", but I think there is a lot more that some people want to put in the "do not show" basket now these days.
I think the biggest shift is that this censoriousness was traditionally the wheelhouse of the religious right, or the conservatives at least.

Now the progressive left have bought into it. And that's been amplified by social media, which obviously skews younger and woker.

It means that we're not seeing cancel culture deployed to protect religious sensibilities as much as it's deployed to protect newer progressive orthodoxies around race, gender, sexual preference and consent.

I think it's remarkable that it's the youngest adults saying "OMG that's offensive, that's unsayable". They've become less liberal in that regard.

Last edited:
Treating the poster in bad faith. After repeated examples of bad faith.

I'm going to be as openly rude to you, as you're being hiddenly rude to me. campaigner.

You pretend, after ignoring my multiple posts calling out your lack of engagement.

And the negatives are all you post on this forum...

But you're "Just Asking Questions".
JAQing off... while ignore the replies.

Your use of "lol" to pretend that social media means nothing...
Amazingly, you know that you have to provide some flaccid defense, while insisting you didn't need to provide one.
One or the other, simp.

You ******* IDIOT. You're defending attacks on educators on subjects no one could really understand, while insisting that teachers should teach things without people understanding them.

This is the issue I took with you, months ago.

You've got this moronic view that kids are being taught things without them realising. While insisting that as an adult you are totally unaware of people teaching you things.

This is the most genuinely angry I've been on BF in a long time.

How the fu** do you expect children to recognise something, if you as a medicated and treated adult... DON'T UNDERSTAND?

And somehow you expect 'teachers' to cover all of it? You ******* idiot.

If any single part of you, is acting in good faith, send me a PM. And I'll spend hours of my life educating you. No one will know but us.

If you think I'm wrong on any point, respond to it, and I'll engage.

Either you're a sick sick person. Or you're a sick person that needs help.

Stop making me look like such an abrasive campaigner. While you're the one saying minorities should go and fu** themselves...
Someone's having a meltdown.

UXRX6WOMWRETLCRKQR6YF7KVAM.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back