Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
I think he was battling injury in this game also. I reckon your rating is spot on.
I am a big fan of what he can do first and foremost. With the athlete obsession in AFL circles these days, sometimes you can just overlook who is bloody good at football and you can see in those games, he has a burst that won't make him a liability at AFL level and he just knows how to get the footy or hurt you if you have it. I would take this bloke over a Howes, who is an athlete first and foremost but hasn't had the production or impact on games.

I honestly think this bloke will surprise in a few years time and be one of the ones where you think, how did he drop that low. Anyway, time will tell.

I would be stoked with him @24 personally.
Every box is ticked with Howes but I agree: there is something missing. Could it be that he does not like contact?

Intent, effort and a dose of footy mongrel is what Angus is about. He will not be picked up as the best talent, it will be on aggressive intent. In my limited knowledge, Jai is the better option in that role. That said, if Sam wants a league of hunters in the midfield, Sheldrick may fit the game plan.
For mine, the Hawks have other needs.
Three phases of the game.

We have the ball.
They have the ball.
The ball is in dispute.

You would be hard pressed to find a player more talented in this draft within phase three. Maybe Hobbs but they didn't get the chance to play on one another.

If we can walk away from draft night with Ward and Sonsie as our first two picks i will wrapped.

Not sure Sonsie is what we need. There will be better options available with pick 21 and 24.

Not sure Sonsie is what we need. There will be better options available with pick 21 and 24.
Sonsie is fast, skilled and has a high Footy IQ.… with a question on his 2 way running. Could he have chosen to create that question mark? Did we really land on the moon? Is graphene really the substrate on which Hydrogen will be placed as an energy source for the future? Only time will tell. 🤣

Think he is as good of a prospect as anyone else that would be available at 21. Think he will be gone but if not i would be happy to pounce.

He is what we need, but there are two questions at play.

Will he be available at our second selections? (I'd say unlikely).

He has been compared to Nick Dal Santo. Will he be a Nick Dal Santo level player or a poor mans Jack Billings? I think both outcomes are in play depending on how he develops and how professional he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So…. Gibcus with our first and two Mids after that?

Elite mid > Elite defender for our current list. Easier to find a gun KPD later in a draft than an elite midfielder.

Could easily trade a future third on the night to snag a Charlie Dean type if he's still available.

Won't be finding a midfielder with the obvious talent of a Ward, Hobbs or Erasmus once we get to pick 21. Will be far more of a lottery at that point.

Elite mid > Elite defender for our current list. Easier to find a gun KPD later in a draft than an elite midfielder.

Could easily trade a future third on the night to snag a Charlie Dean type if he's still available.

Won't be finding a midfielder with the obvious talent of a Ward, Hobbs or Erasmus once we get to pick 21. Will be far more of a lottery at that point.
You will probably find plenty of people who will argue that elite talls are found later in the draft.

Paul Curtis in the VIC Metro vs Vic Country Challenge match

I rewatched the game and took note of his involvements.

He started out very scratching but got better as the game went on. Most of his best work was done as a lead up fwd.

22:20: Fumble, 24:10: mark and goal, 33:00 fumble , 33:15 fumble, 34:30: mark and grubber kick, 47:45: OK pressure, 50:10: lead up mark and nice kick, 1:21:45: tackle, 1:34:15: mark on a lead and goal from an angle. 1:36:45 hb receive and goal… bit lucky, 1:41:35: great half volley. 1:47:00 lead up mark and point. 1:48:35: lead up mark, good short pass.

I may have missed a few involvements.

Davo-27 in this game Curtis‘ crumbing was ordinary. Do you think it was the slippery surface (quite a few were affected, though not the better players), the occasion, the wrong stops, bad luck, or is crumbing a part of his game he needs to improve?

If youre looking for a quality small forw that isnt Rachele then he is the best option, every player in the AFL has a weakness, i look for talent and mental strength and i believe all of the guys i mention in my top 50s in my draft thread have those traits, Kosi Pickett fumbled a lit in the u18 champs it doesnt mean anything.

Toss a coin.
Hello! I'm picking for Hawthorn in a phantom as I'm a draft nuff and the Hawthorn selector hasn't shown up. If Ward and Hobbs are both available, is Ward the go?

Hobbs every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Having said that if MM calls out Ward I’ll be more than happy

Hello! I'm picking for Hawthorn in a phantom as I'm a draft nuff and the Hawthorn selector hasn't shown up. If Ward and Hobbs are both available, is Ward the go?
Every phantom draft and prediction thread has us taking Ward….which means we’re most likely taking someone else.

Good luck with it

5 - Johnson, ward, rachele, Hobbs

21 - chesser , sonsie , butler, birt

24-clarke, motlop, curtis

59- ballantyne , tunstill, dittmar, hough, jones, Dean, aleer

I think the board would probably favour Ward over Hobbs but plenty of love for the later too. A lot of love for Sinn, also. Erasmus has faded but was the early favourite. Johnson an outsider and Rachelle has a few fans. Gibcus and Andrew remote chances according to this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back