Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Spotify dude put in a bid to buy the club and it got accepted by Kroenke, like $4b or something ridiculous like that. Apparently gonna be announced in the next few days.

I thought this was great until I realised this was in fact a dream I had and not at all true.

The Spotify dude put in a bid to buy the club and it got accepted by Kroenke, like $4b or something ridiculous like that. Apparently gonna be announced in the next few days.

I thought this was great until I realised this was in fact a dream I had and not at all true.

I only read the first part of your post and then quickly googled it in another window. When I found sweet * all I came back here and was going to ask you where did you hear this.

And then read the rest. Yep. You got me. *.

It may appear Arsenal have only clicked into form since September, but they have actually been highly competitive from as far back as last Christmas.

In a table from Boxing Day 2021 onwards, the Gunners are joint third on points, ahead of Liverpool and Manchester United - both of whom qualified for this season's Champions League - and just a point worse off than Chelsea.

Consistency was always going to be one of the biggest challenges for a young squad that has seen a turnaround of 19 players in the last two seasons.

In total, 17 players started one of the three defeats that began the season, but just 16 were used in the eight games since. Six have started all eight, including goalkeeper Ramsdale and three of the back four - Gabriel, Takehiro Tomiyasu and White.

Further forward, two of the club's academy products - Bukayo Saka and Emile Smith Rowe - have continued to develop. They are the poster boys for the league's youngest squad (average age 24.1 years), with its youngest manager (Arteta is 39).

Smith Rowe has reached new heights, with his four goals and two assists in his last six games seeing him join Saka in the most recent England squad. The 21-year-old capped his full debut with a goal and assist in the 10-0 World Cup qualifying win against San Marino.

from bbc.com

1637372040878.png

Last league win at Anfield for Arsenal was back in 2012. The Diaby game. Didn’t realise it has been that long. I knew it had been a long time, but not 9 years. Wow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some other favourable results overnight from the teams around us which softens the blow a little bit. The top 3 teams are a class above and at least we’ve got the away games at Anfield and Etihad out of the way.

Post Highbury, Wenger was able to maintain top 4 for Arsenal by beating everyone else even though we used to get schooled versus the top teams. A bit similarly poised now. Must wrestle that momentum back and keep earning points, every league match is crucial especially with the batterings already copped this season and a very ugly GD.

Also I don't if we should laugh or cry but spurs are 1 point behind and will move above us in coming weeks with a favourable run of fixtures. That's all with them sacking a manger and people saying we've supposedly made progress lol.

Since our last league win at Anfield we're 0-2-7 conceding 32 goals in 9 games, ******* disgraceful.

As bad as that it, if we did a similar aggregate for away games at the Bridge, Old Trafford, Etihad etc it would also make for ugly reading overall.

Whilst there feels like something very different and fresh about the current squad, this trend of getting blown away by the big boys needs to improve.

Just on the Liverpool match for a moment, I really do think Arteta overreacted with his face off with Klopp. Initial reaction was that it’s good to see. However it brought Anfield to life, we were doing quite well overall I feel up until that point. The next few minutes they were all over us. Arteta’s inexperience/immaturity was showing there.

Conversely, Klopp played that beautifully. Using all of his experience in knowing just how to make the most of it and ignite the stadium.

We’ve made progress.

I’m certainly not an Arteta fan boy and I still have massive reservations over him continuing in the job but even I can recognise that the team is doing much better in certain aspects of play.

The defence no longer looks like every man and their dog will score on every attack.

The problems lay elsewhere; Partey for all the hype has been pretty much non-existent in midfield for most games. Yeah he’s had one or two good games but for what we paid and thought we were getting , he’s been nowhere near dominating enough.

Up front is our biggest issue. PEA has been complete trash. I’m sorry but he’s completely fallen off a cliff over the last season and this one so I don’t get why he starts apart from wages.

Laca is soon to be out of contract and while has been playing decently and working hard definitely isn’t worrying defences enough.

Saka, is an amazing youngster, but only has 7 league goals in 60ish appearances and isn’t blowing teams up with goals or assists this season.

Pepe, $70m, while not terrible can’t make the starting 11 over a 20 yr old. Not a $70m player and wasted investment.

The whole forward line needs to be scrapped and started again. Big investment needed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't fault Aubameyang's workrate etc, he's really improved from last season where he just didn't seem himself or that he wanted to be there (many mitigating reasons as to why).

He hasn't been what we need in this set, nor has he been trash IMO. I think if/when we invest heavily in that area next summer, it will be a similar experience to when we purchased Ramsdale and Tomiyasu. Meaning, Leno and Bellerin were largely servicable. However the new player comes in and you immedietely see what was missing and why we upgraded. I'm hoping for the same when we purchase that elusive CF who we can get the best out of in this system.

It has to be done. Lacazette will walk next summer, so likely will Nketiah. Balogun isn't ready yet. That purchase will be crucial. Maybe even Pepe is worth trying in that position, I don't know.

Partey however has been largely dissapointing. Lots of niggles and injuries yes. In these big games though, he just hasn't stepped up enough. That midfield was almost non existent at Anfield. ESR, Lokongo etc didn't have good games overall. But you look to the likes of senior players like Partey to do more in those situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back