List Mgmt. 2021 NAB National AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

very much hoping we hold our hand for next year and do nothing this year except use the picks we have.
approx. 1/4 of our list is basically 1-2 year players.
That's enough.

Holding next years hand means we are attractive for clubs who need points next year.
Once clubs know what they hold next year, deals are easier and less speculative (especially if going after a F1).
i'd much rather push for the 3rd rounders to become a mid/late first in next years trade period.
We are in a good spot next year with what we've accumulated.
Don't burn that by doing something stupid this year.

Add to this the 'what-if' scenario of JDG/Moore /maynard leaving (have to consider this and understand what it might mean) and we could end up with 3x1st rounders next year.

don't get greedy and burn what could be next year .....!
Take our medicine and move on....

Some players would be happy to acquire today -
Blake Howes
Charlie Dean
Brady Hough
Jesse Motlop
Zac Taylor
Rhett Bazzo
Paul Curtis
Sam Banks

I’d add in guys like Judson Clarke, Connor MacDonald (who would finish off our midfield prospects perfectly IMO), Arlo Draper, Arthur Jones & Patrick Voss.

I’m also still holding out hope that we will take Dib with our last pick if he doesn’t go beforehand.

Last edited:
If we take 3 picks tonight and Keane goes to Cat B , how many spots on Cat A does that leave free?

Were we exclusively talking about KPD’s?

I think there are some crossed wires, because Avery definitely isn’t a key position player…
I was, in response to the 4 mediocre KPD prospects listed which it was said we are hoping to add to with our later picks. And, yes, at 189 cm, Avery is definitely not a KPD.

I was, in response to the 4 mediocre KPD prospects listed which it was said we are hoping to add to with our later picks. And, yes, at 189 cm, Avery is definitely not a KPD.

Right. Thanks for clarifying.

We’ll in that case Bazzo is the only key position player left worth taking in my view. If he continues to develop he has attributes that definitely will make him better than mediocre. Part of the reason Mick Ablett had him ranked at 12.

The only other one I like is Patrick Voss. But GWS will match a bid IMO, and it would be a horrible way to burn 🔥 our relationship when they have just done us a favour.

Not interested in Dean.

I’d add in guys like Judson Clarke, Connor MacDonald (who would finish off our midfield prospects perfectly IMO), Arlo Draper, Arthur Jones & Patrick Voss.

I’m also still holding out hope that we will take Dib with our last pick if he doesn’t go beforehand.
I'd take a risk on Williams if he is available, I think he is the purest KF in this draft and could even become a KPD

I'd take a risk on Williams if he is available, I think he is the purest KF in this draft and could even become a KPD

I just get Jackson Paine vibes from non-athletic key forwards like Williams (even though he’s a bit taller).

He’s the kind of player you want to go back to a state league and prove he is worth taking in a few years as a mature age prospect.

I just get Jackson Paine vibes from non-athletic key forwards like Williams (even though he’s a bit taller).

He’s the kind of player you want to go back to a state league and prove he is worth taking in a few years as a mature age prospect.
He's a bit better than that and his Athleticism is one of his strengths. It's a bit cruel to put him in Paines league, he was a spud from the start

Unless you thought it w a s no chance, which a lot had us trending down just not that far then it was an option that we could.

They took the risk and overated our list and gameplan.

What's done is done but that was the trade its locked into history.

Just a ridiculous argument to suggest that they knowingly traded pick 2 for what we got. I’ve reviewed all of the trade news and articles from that time, none mention pick 2. It’s a tired and we’ll worn barrow but happy for you to continue push a view to the contrary if it makes you feel better but it doesn’t change the facts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And minor leagues are littered with players that were talented, but a tad lazy.
what happens when you have too many lazy and non elite talented players, is that can make grand finals but you lose them. sound familiar? I've seen my share of less talented Pies teams lose grand finals because the opposition has more elite talent on the day, 2018 sound familiar. 55 years of seeing us lose many GF';s gets you a bit frustrated and wants your club to do better

I wonder if we could trade a couple or 3 2022 3rd rounders to the dons for their future 2nd.

We then forward trade the Essendon 2nd rounder to this years draft.

EG 2022 draft:
Pies out: pick 37, pick 41, pick 50

Pies in : Essendon 2nd (pick 28).

We on trade Essendons 2nd round pick for a top 30 pick this year.

Ummmmm, that’s over 1100 points we’d give them for the 677 that pick 28 is worth. That might tempt them. Maybe. Could we sweeten it further?

I don’t think there is any doubt Ashcroft will be a top 5 pick (barring serious injury).

Whilst they look to have smartly (thanks Ned) saved trading out their future first until next year, maybe their future second could now come into play. Particularly given we are flush with future thirds.

Hopefully we can organise a 3-way trade with someone who doesn’t rate the rest of the draft or has filled the spots they want to on their list.

Maybe something like:

Brisbane
Out: Future second
In: 2 Future thirds

Collingwood
Out: 2 Future thirds
In: 2021 Late second round

Other club
Out: 2021 Late second round
In: Brisbane future second

Why the focus on Brisbane’s F2 pick. Surely it’s their F1 they need to move.

From my limited viewing and what I’ve read I think his forward smarts are great, but I’m not sure you can say his athleticism is that flash.
Correct, Williams' athleticism is definitely needing an improvement. Some people who often watch highlights or limit their viewings see players taking strong marks on the lead ahead of their opponents and automatically lean towards that he's burnt them off. Quite often he's just read the ball quicker and those smarts have given him the extra few metres.

I don't mind if we're in the 40s and we pick up Williams, he fits a need and I think if you've got enough pace around him you're alright. Not sure I'd be super thrilled playing him and say Darcy Cameron and a resting ruck in the forward line. Bazzo has more athleticism and can play up either end. I actually think Williams will end up as a KPD due to that athleticism.

My thoughts are we go for Caminiti over Williams though simply because he has that higher upside, bit more athletic. He's just got to get the mongrel into him, but what he's shown (albeit in limited showings) has been impressive.

I'd like to see us pick up a tall and a small forward, and if we opt for the fourth pick (think we had the option from memory for Hine), go for best available, preferably a good ball user.

When was the last Hine special? I cannot recall one in years. Sier could have been one, but we saw what happened to him. I don't think Hine would know a 'special' if it bit him in the face.
Ruscoe, I believe. Possibly McMahon depending on his development.

Unlike how we traded our soon to be Pick 2, it might be worth waiting until next draft to cash in on our million third rounders we have banked.
But I have a feeling we might get offers when some players go off the board to trade back in around the 25-35 region.

i was listening to the schmook and sara (i think) on the afl site and they were discussing the importance of freo's pick 21 today. It seems the world has gone mad with trading of picks stuff. The Sara said that Freo might want to trade with North who could offer their next year's first round. Is she crazy? And its not just the commentators who are driving this attitude that next year's draft is something that can accessed as a freebie.

The Port move to give up their 2nd round draft pick from next year to move up 2 spots in the draft, and it may appear to some as being decisive but to me, it smacks of a team that is throwing future resources at a premiership tilt.

I'm not against using the next years draft but I dont see the long term benefits of what Port has done. People might say that they got the player they wanted but a look back at past drafts will prove that clubs often draft turkeys, even in the first round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back