List Mgmt. 2023 National Draft prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly it’s weird that we supposedly rated Schoenmaker as a 30’s selection but didn’t grab him when he was still available at our third pick. I’d have thought he’d be worth the punt given the SSP is no sure thing in regards to picking up a good player…
I thought the same. But maybe it says something about how they rated the draft.

I thought the same. But maybe it says something about how they rated the draft.
Agree, the club was pretty clear that they only intended on taking 2 picks at the Draft. From the article on our site, Wrighty said straight after the 2nd Pick, we're done. Think that shows our focus was elsewhere for the remaining list spot. Interesting that the club was prepared to trade back to WCE Pick 40 - I guess they must have had someone else in their sights if TJ went before our pick, but they knew that we'd get that player with a later pick (I assume that it was another NGA, hence restriction to moving back to Pick 40)

Insightful into draft night. We can blame bris and eagles for us not getting the talls. We wanted Reid/Morris, and if one was available at saints pick 33, we would have enquired about a pick swap.

It’ll be interesting to see Harry v Riley going forward. It seems that we rated both players equally.

Reid & Morris will be players we need to keep an eye on! What could have been.

Unless i'm reading between the lines.
I think you are. I mean the general heirarchy is obviously List Manager > Head Recruiter, but on draft day I’d be very surprised if Wright had much if any say over Hine in regards to the draft board.

Last edited:
It’s interesting that it says that Wright is the man at the draft, and that Hine is 2nd in command.
That’s fascinating. So now when they say we don’t draft talls, it’s not all Hine’s fault. I wonder if we’ve realised it’s a way to save resources to buy players who are tall that someone else has developed. However, you run the risk of missing out in doing so.

Earlier assessments? The article literally said they rated him in the 30’s on the night…

Sorry but if they had him in the 30’s on their board and were considering him, then character obviously wasn’t that big of an issue to them…
I reckon there’s more to the story that hasn’t been discussed. If we rated him at thirtyish, then other clubs probably did as well. Maybe it was just his luck on the night.

I reckon there’s more to the story that hasn’t been discussed. If we rated him at thirtyish, then other clubs probably did as well. Maybe it was just his luck on the night.
I think its just that he plays the same way as TJ and we rated TJ higher, so we didnt want to pick 2 players who are similar.

Our other need is a tall backman who plays tall, so we decided to trial out that spot via SSP.

Honestly it’s weird that we supposedly rated Schoenmaker as a 30’s selection but didn’t grab him when he was still available at our third pick. I’d have thought he’d be worth the punt given the SSP is no sure thing in regards to picking up a good player…

Does not make any since at all

Does not make any since at all
I think an earlier poster nailed it. Our power rankings list probably wasn't a linear scale. Just knowing how we ordered the players doesn't mean much if we don't know how much we actually rated them. E.g. There might have been a significant drop off between player 25 and player 35

I think the best list management strategy is draft best available and trade for need. If the talls aren't best available at your pick then they don't get picked.

Talls are generally a 4-5 year prospect before you get a reliable output. Any we select now are not likely to be part of this window.

Every year we have this discussion, but last time I looked we seemed to be going okay. Maybe our strategy is working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, the club was pretty clear that they only intended on taking 2 picks at the Draft. From the article on our site, Wrighty said straight after the 2nd Pick, we're done. Think that shows our focus was elsewhere for the remaining list spot. Interesting that the club was prepared to trade back to WCE Pick 40 - I guess they must have had someone else in their sights if TJ went before our pick, but they knew that we'd get that player with a later pick (I assume that it was another NGA, hence restriction to moving back to Pick 40)
So WCE did the deal with Richmond at 38 instead of us at 37. If it had of been us it would come down to Bombers pick 39 and whether they rated TJ higher than the NGA guy they took.

I think its just that he plays the same way as TJ and we rated TJ higher, so we didnt want to pick 2 players who are similar.

Our other need is a tall backman who plays tall, so we decided to trial out that spot via SSP.
It was like last year when we chose Ryan ahead of Cowan who are similar players and we thus traded the pick to the Blues to get back another pick in the first 2 rounds of this years draft.

It was like last year when we chose Ryan ahead of Cowan who are similar players and we thus traded the pick to the Blues to get back another pick in the first 2 rounds of this years draft.
We traded down because we didn’t need the selection for Joe Richards, who was going to be available later.

I think the best list management strategy is draft best available and trade for need. If the talls aren't best available at your pick then they don't get picked.

Talls are generally a 4-5 year prospect before you get a reliable output. Any we select now are not likely to be part of this window.

Every year we have this discussion, but last time I looked we seemed to be going okay. Maybe our strategy is working.
Carlton have Lemmey and Moir on their list, St Kilda has Keeler and Schoenmaker. Port has Scully. Each of those picks have strengths and weakness on and off the field. It’ll be interesting to see how many by 2027/28 develop giving the frothing interest in them. Of the players drafted last year, Lemmey, Keeler and Scully have had average careers to date but they may make it. Better to let clubs do the hard work, make the risk and us reap the rewards if they wish to leave.

Particularly with rucks, they’re relatively easy to find around the place. We grabbed a cheap NEAFL star with an irrelevant pick and a guy who hadn’t heard of footy until he was 24 to play in our latest premiership.

Had the Roos picked Curtain over Durrsma there was a feeling that Watson would have slid to about 10. If that was the case we were ready to deal with Geelong for their pick.
Wouldn't Hawks still take Watson with their pick though?

Had the Roos picked Curtain over Durrsma there was a feeling that Watson would have slid to about 10. If that was the case we were ready to deal with Geelong for their pick.
How could we have gotten that done? We didn't have the picks to trade up that high.

With what exactly? I find it difficult to believe the Cats would have accepted our first and second picks for pick 10.

Carlton have Lemmey and Moir on their list, St Kilda has Keeler and Schoenmaker. Port has Scully. Each of those picks have strengths and weakness on and off the field. It’ll be interesting to see how many by 2027/28 develop giving the frothing interest in them. Of the players drafted last year, Lemmey, Keeler and Scully have had average careers to date but they may make it. Better to let clubs do the hard work, make the risk and us reap the rewards if they wish to leave.

Particularly with rucks, they’re relatively easy to find around the place. We grabbed a cheap NEAFL star with an irrelevant pick and a guy who hadn’t heard of footy until he was 24 to play in our latest premiership.
Old manic is going to go out on a limb and say that people will be gobsmacked at how good Moir will be. He will at some stage during next season, have everyone salivating

Remove this Banner Ad

Back