Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah. He rose up the rank because of what he showed in the midfield
You think he projects as a mid based on the few games he played in there? And not worried about his shotgun kicking?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all for loading up on quality mids. But this guy looks like he’s competing with RCD for a spot in the 22. And I don’t think he’s that good to burn pick 17 on him.

For us to do so, you must think he’s significantly better than RCD?

Baker could do it too. His game against the Giants demonstrated that. 33 possessions, 8 clearances, 6 tackles and 9 inside 50's.

Got displaced off half back and with MJ, now Clarke and Sonsie, may be displaced off the forward flank. Reckonnhe could be our new Axel Foley.

personally I like baker with the ball in his hands. Great decision maker and kick. I think he’ll play games in there and be part of the rotation but HBF/Wing/HFF or the spare is where he does the damage for us I reckon.

So out of the 5 picks, 4 can roll through the midfield (reading their bios) and we got a CHF/CHB. Why the melts again?
Because these randoms on the internet obviously know better than the people at the club.

It's the type and strategy that seems odd.

We keep trying to find the unexpected gems from left field positions.

FFS, get some guinuine mids and forwards with size!
Like an undersized forward like jack, or a tiny guy like shedda or a string bean li
With 5 picks in the top 30, getting the tall you wanted should have been pretty achievable.

If there was no tall we wanted then that is fine - but you get a back up in the trade period - or even FA period. Even if its just for a short term plan. Be it Brander or even bloody Levi Casboult - if we are legit in the flag race again for 2022, we can't ignore Key forward depth. I'm not even sure how the VFL team will have a forward line atm - who is the key forward there? Ryan and ?

a lack of key forward & ruck depth was a big part of why our 2021 season got derailed and going in with our 2 best back ups gone is a huge risk. What is the plan if Lynch goes down with a knee etc? its basically season over
My god did you just really just drop Casboults name?? 🤮🤮🤮

Spot on. I'm my opinion it's harder for a pure mid to play any other position but a running mid size defender can easily go wing or even the occasional midfield run thru role. I back our recruiters in.

We also don’t know strategically what positional shifts are in store for the players on the current list as well. Upcoming free agency availability. How this year ties into last years drafting etc etc. It’s so much more than just drafting a kid and looking at it in isolation.

whats your point? So we just don't bother getting back up depth anymore? ridiculous comeback. You have 44 players on your list - having more than 2 key forwards seems pretty logical to me
What key forward should we have drafted instead of the players that we did? No key forward has been drafted since our 3 second round picks. The club clearly didn't rate anybody. Would you rather waste a spot on our list for a player that we didn't like?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mate we won three flags and probably should have won four. The last one off the back of one of the worst pandemics the world Has seen.

we were cooked. No other side has done what we did, three-peat or not

I know. i saw it happened and i am pre-tay pre-tay pre-tay sure i was the one, all year, saying we wont finish top 4 & will be luck to finish higher than 8th. I was incredibly realistic about where we were at - even at round 8 when i was being called a bad supporter etc

I'm not even pissed at our pics, as i said - i dont know jack s**t about these kids outside phantom drafts and online reporting card browses.

But, I was also the guy who said we needed to look for some mature age depth in the KPF department if the club is seriously looking to go for a flag in 2022 which is what they are saying. Not me, THEY.

If our plan was to take no talls in the draft, then i'm baffled why we didn't take a back up tall for a stop gap, which is literally the same theory which we used to recruit Tarrant. If the players we drafted that appear to be flankers do indeed end up being just flankers - then this is going to be a disappointing use of a once in a decade draft hand. If they can be developed into something more - then all will be red smarties. Time will tell - but the road to success or failure from this draft is pretty clearly defined for us to make that call within a few years

Last edited:
I know. i saw it happened and i am pre-tay pre-tay pre-tay sure i was the one, all year, saying we wont finish top 4 & will be luck to finish higher than 8th. I was incredibly realistic about where we were at - even at round 8 when i was being called a bad supporter for reading the obvious tea-leaves in front of me.
There’s a reason why we’re called supporters and not detractors dh

None of these blokes should be playing next year, it's the least developed group of the past 15yrs for obvious reasons. Our first team squad should come back physically and mentally refreshed after their first proper break in a few years, plus the gradual return to normality.

If we don't rate prospects above what we currently have as depth, they are just bound to be list-cloggers. Calm the hell down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back