Analysis Where does Buddy Franklin rank amongst the greats?

Buddy's rank of all time players

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he in the same group as Ablett snr, Lockett and Carey, or just behind?
Add Coleman and maybe Hudson to that list, and I have Buddy just behind those 5.

Matthews also definitely ahead of him, then you have to work out how many midfielders are ahead of him. I've got a handful without even thinking - Bunton Jr, Reynolds, Skilton, Ablett Jr, Stewart.

Martin took forever to reach his peak. He was a solid player for many years but it took him longer than most to find his top form.

Lets not ever be America where they define greatness by premierships, how actually good a player you are whether you are in the premiership side or the bottom side is all that matters. Ablett senior is still well ahead of every player I have ever seen. Just my opinion but I don’t even have any player close to him.

Okay mate. Just because he elevated beyond anyone in history for 4 games goes not make the home and away poor. He is already the GOAT.
His Home and away season isn't poor but it's not even remotely close to being in the discussion of "Best of all time" I personally would rather a player play 20+ games a season not 4, You gotta get there first.

Okay mate. Just because he elevated beyond anyone in history for 4 games goes not make the home and away poor. He is already the GOAT.

Q: Where does Buddy rank?
A: Dusty is the GOAT.

Never change, Richmond supporters.

Dusty is probably the 4th or 5th best player of the last 20 years. He is miles outside the top 10 for players in my lifetime.

But do keep up the fapping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it staggering that 17% of people don’t think Franklin makes the top 20.

Some fans seem reluctant or incapable of recognising greatness when it’s in front of them. The rose tinted glasses come out when looking in the past rather than the present.

Needless to say, we’ve all been fortunate to watch Franklin play the game. For me he’s in the top 5 players to ever strap on a boot. The dude is a freak among freaks.

I find it staggering that 17% of people don’t think Franklin makes the top 20.

Some fans seem reluctant or incapable of recognising greatness when it’s in front of them. The rose tinted glasses come out when looking in the past rather than the present.

Needless to say, we’ve all been fortunate to watch Franklin play the game. For me he’s in the top 5 players to ever strap on a boot. The dude is a freak among freaks.
I agree, he is definately at least top 10 of all time for me.
He's a unique player that's never been seen before who will kick 1000 goals from a half-forward role, and he plays up the ground as well.
There is probably bias from oppo supporters as he is still playing and there's a few bitter Hawk supporters who resent him.

Also not the be all and end all of being a key forward but of the players discussed and how many All Australians they have

Lance Franklin - 8
Jason Dunstall - 7
Wayne Carey - 7
Tony Lockett - 5
Matthew Lloyd - 5
Nick Riewoldt - 5
Gary Ablett Snr - 4
Josh Kennedy - 3
Jack Riewoldt - 3
Peter Hudson - 2

Last edited:
Also not the be all and end all of being a key forward but of the players discussed and how many All Australians they have

Lance Franklin - 8
Jason Dunstall - 7
Wayne Carey - 7
Tony Lockett - 5
Matthew Lloyd - 5
Nick Riewoldt - 5
Gary Ablett Snr - 4
Josh Kennedy - 3
Jack Riewoldt - 3
Peter Hudson - 2

AA is a terrible measure. Not just because it used to be something completely different, but also because the selectors in the last 10 or so years are truly clueless flogs.

I agree, he is definately at least top 10 of all time for me.
He's a unique player that's never been seen before who will kick 1000 goals from a half-forward role, and he plays up the ground as well.
There is probably bias from oppo supporters as he is still playing and there's a few bitter Hawk supporters who resent him.

Averaged a career-low 2.4 goals per game against Geelong; I'm not surprised if most Geelong supporters don't rate him as highly as other opposition supporters as he was rarely all that damaging against us - threatening, yes, but the likes of Scarlett and Lonergan were generally able to keep him under wraps.

Not in my top 10 of all time, probably not even top 20 of those I've seen.

Averaged a career-low 2.4 goals per game against Geelong; I'm not surprised if most Geelong supporters don't rate him as highly as other opposition supporters as he was rarely all that damaging against us - threatening, yes, but the likes of Scarlett and Lonergan were generally able to keep him under wraps.

Not in my top 10 of all time, probably not even top 20 of those I've seen.
I'd like to see the 20 players you rate ahead of him.

Lance Franklin - 8
Jason Dunstall - 7
Wayne Carey - 7
Tony Lockett - 5
Matthew Lloyd - 5
Nick Riewoldt - 5
Gary Ablett Snr - 4
Josh Kennedy - 3
Jack Riewoldt - 3
Peter Hudson - 2

That's a completely arbitrary metric; the AA team wasn't even selected annually for some of those players careers, e.g. Hudson, Ablett and Lockett.

I never said it was perfect, or even great, but it is just as good a measurement as a best and fairest or a Brownlow.

B & F is chosen by coaches. AA is chosen by Darcy, Gil and KB.

Those things are different.

Plus, decades ago AA were the players who actually played in the carnival which didnt happen every year. The best players of the year may never have been AA even though by today's measure they would.
E.G. Hudson would have 5 AA from his 6 years in the VFL plus possibly the one he got from the TFL.

B & F is chosen by coaches. AA is chosen by Darcy, Gil and KB.

Those things are different.

Plus, decades ago AA were the players who actually played in the carnival which didnt happen every year. The best players of the year may never have been AA even though by today's measure they would.
E.G. Hudson would have 5 AA from his 6 years in the VFL plus possibly the one he got from the TFL.

Well Jake Lloyd keeps winning Sydney's B&F and no one would claim Jake Lloyd is Sydney's best player.

Back