The commentators on the day
Matt Rowell
All the GC Suns considering not one remonstrated
The tribunal
The tribunal chairman Jeff Gleeson
Willie Rioli
The Afls counsel whose job it was to get him supsended
Chris Scott

I am the king of the ‘accidents happen in footy/he can’t disappear/what else is he supposed to do’ advocates in footy, both AFL and NRL.

I can’t fathom how this could get off as Robinson doesn’t.

I can’t find a single logical explanation

Ask your coach

Making reckless avoidable contact with the head is illegal?

Like a 200cm ruck jumping and crunching an opponent in the back of the head with a knee. That is pretty reckless. Happens quite often as well.

So you are saying any head high contact in a marking contest should be illegal. Because right now its play on.

No
I’m saying a player flying a full speed with no hands on the ball or prospect of getting hands on the ball throwing his body at full tilt into the head of an unprotected opponent who has made it to the ball and hits him in the head with his hips or a similar part of the body with no attempt to bail or try and take any duty of care into account should be illegal. like the litany of players who have been rubbed out for far more innocuous things than Rioli’s collision. Like the guy who got suspended way back last night who stopped to avoid the contest and braced to avoid his opponent.

Laughable that eagles fans are trying to defend this

List of people who agree he was contesting the mark

The umpire
The commentators on the day
Matt Rowell
All the GC Suns considering not one remonstrated
The tribunal
The tribunal chairman Jeff Gleeson
Willie Rioli
The Afls counsel whose job it was to get him supsended
Chris Scott

Ask your coach

What else does anyone think he was contesting? the Price is F***ing Right?

Guys who sling opponents are contesting the tackle. Guys who hip and shoulder the player at ground level are contesting the ball. What the f*** does that matter? No one is saying he charged off the interchange bench to flatten someone and didn’t realise that the ball was in the same vicinity. Of course he was contesting the mark. How does that exonerate him?

Guys who sling opponents are contesting the tackle. Guys who hip and shoulder the player at ground level are contesting the ball. What the f*** does that matter? No one is saying he charged off the interchange bench to flatten someone and didn’t realise that the ball was in the same vicinity. Of course he was contesting the mark. How does that exonerate him?

Have you read the thread? Most the posts here saying he should get done are saying he wasn't contesting the mark. Whately said the same, Barrett too.

As for how does it exonerate him, like I said your coach

“What we instruct our players in a marking contest if you are coming towards the ball or the ball is coming towards you, you have right of way, and you can attack that ball as hard as you like ... the challenge is once you are in the air, and you are slightly second to the ball, what do you do from there? You do have a duty of care, but sometimes contact is inevitable.”

And yet a couple of years ago they were protecting Viney for doing a dog act. Not a marking contest and a player taken out in a 'revenge hit' after coppoing a fair bump in the previous quarter.

Not sited by the MRP and no real complaints from VFL 360. Don't bother watching VFL 360 any more it is such a BS bias show.

Despite copping a huge bump from Eagles skipper Shannon Hurn in the third ... Viney got one back on Hurn in the final quarter.
As stated in the replay....He's got to jump and compete for the ball though...Viney. Man oh Man, different strokes for different folks. Vic players do it, O.K...Interstaters do it, not O.K. The hypocrisy is flabbergasting.

Last edited:
You don't know much about football. Pretty obvious from that post.

One player getting to the ball a milli second ahead of an opponent in a marking contest can win or lose games. And people who know SFA about football think players can pull out of contests milli seconds before impact are either trolling or have NFI. And yes, you can brace for impact when you are jumping in mid air at the last milli second to protect yourself.

These dangerous situations occur in every game in a pack marking situation. Most of the time with a poor bugger defender getting smashed from behind.

So until the AFL bans jumping in a marking contest we will continue to see dangerous situations and at times injuries.

Lol that's fake news.

Why does the AFL not do a JFK assassination review and demonstrate what Rioli could do in that instance effectively? Call it the magical mark instead of the magical bullet

When Rioli left the ground there was no way he could mark the ball from that method so there was no marking contest. It was only a marking contest in spin for those that no nothing about the game.

The only way Rioli could mark the ball was to reach out with arms and hands and catch the ball before it entered Rowell's grasp like a Wayne Carey reaching out and a twist from the outset was never going to get it done especially by the time Rioli was about to leave the ground.

You can organise the retakes if you like

If Rioli dived forward first in a horizontal upward motion he would have a better chance of marking it and getting to the ball but he would collect Rowell

Last edited:
Time to go to spec savers.

Or you just like making stuff up.

You are allowed to jump to contest a mark. You do understand this?

Plot the fall of the ball against Rioli's jump. Take Rowell away.

It requires some analytical assumptions to be made but it's not rocket science. If you disagree fine.

The jump was not to contest the mark, if it was it was ill timed - at best. IMO he would have jumped over the ball.

I couldn't disagree more with it not being paid a free kick, my live post below

1648008901084.png

The suspension these days seems to be more based on the injury caused than the action itself. I don't have a firm view on that as I see merit both ways.

But, if the AFL are serious about wanting to protect the head, this needed some punishment. End of

Plot the fall of the ball against Rioli's jump. Take Rowell away.

It requires some analytical assumptions to be made but it's not rocket science. If you disagree fine.

The jump was not to contest the mark, if it was it was ill timed - at best. IMO he would have jumped over the ball.

I couldn't disagree more with it not being paid a free kick, my live post below

View attachment 1352230

The suspension these days seems to be more based on the injury caused than the action itself. I don't have a firm view on that as I see merit both ways.

But, if the AFL are serious about wanting to protect the head, this needed some punishment. End of
He didn't get him in the head though.

Not sure what you think Rioli should’ve done instead?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you read the thread? Most the posts here saying he should get done are saying he wasn't contesting the mark. Whately said the same, Barrett too.

As for how does it exonerate him, like I said your coach

“What we instruct our players in a marking contest if you are coming towards the ball or the ball is coming towards you, you have right of way, and you can attack that ball as hard as you like ... the challenge is once you are in the air, and you are slightly second to the ball, what do you do from there? You do have a duty of care, but sometimes contact is inevitable.”

He wasn’t in the act of taking the mark but he wasn’t there in the vicinity to play Chinese checkers. He was obviously chasing the mark but it doesn’t absolve him of the responsibility of minimising risk of injury to another player if he can’t get to it

Lol that's fake news.

Why does the AFL not do a JFK assassination review and demonstrate what Rioli could do in that instance effectively? Call it the magical mark instead of the magical bullet

When Rioli left the ground there was no way he could mark the ball from that method so there was no marking contest. It was only a marking contest in spin for those that no nothing about the game.

The only way Rioli could mark the ball was to reach out with arms and hands and catch the ball before it entered Rowell's grasp like a Wayne Carey reaching out and a twist from the outset was never going to get it done especially by the time Rioli was about to leave the ground.

You can organise the retakes if you like

If Rioli dived forward first in a horizontal upward motion he would have a better chance of marking it and getting to the ball but he would collect Rowell

Again proved you dont know football.

That's not fake news.

A milli second separated who got there first.

You conveniently keep ignoring that fact.

Just like you avoid answering what else should Rioli have done. Shirk the marking contest? Allow his opponent to mark unopposed directly in front of goal?

It's a tough impact game. Things like this happen because two players have a red hot crack.

Unless the AFL change the rules on marking contest you have no argument.

He didn’t even attempt to spoil it. Even that would have at least lent credence to the notion that there was nothing he could do
This is an impressive backflip, do you happen to work at AFL media by any chance?

So I ask again, what should’ve Rioli done considering he was in a marking contest?

Ablett Snr could not take the mark from that position that way.

The only way Rioili could outmark Rowell from the vision with one foot still on the ground was to go face first and reach for the ball arms outstretched and hope the ball could get to his hands before Rowell not seeing Rioili and hoping Rowell was still trying to chest it.

Effectively Rioili would need to do a Carey face first or even Jack Reiwoldt mark backing into the pack face first well before any twist.

when Rioli twisted from the jump that was the indication he was not going for the ball but shirking the contest.

A otugher player would not have twisted but reached out and faced the chin music
We are looking at this exactly the same way
Thank you 👍

No
I’m saying a player flying a full speed with no hands on the ball or prospect of getting hands on the ball throwing his body at full tilt into the head of an unprotected opponent who has made it to the ball and hits him in the head with his hips or a similar part of the body with no attempt to bail or try and take any duty of care into account should be illegal. like the litany of players who have been rubbed out for far more innocuous things than Rioli’s collision. Like the guy who got suspended way back last night who stopped to avoid the contest and braced to avoid his opponent.

Laughable that eagles fans are trying to defend this
I swore I wouldn’t get sucked back in here but I’m so glad to hear some balanced views other than those of the “ But he’s going for the ball “ numbnuts

This is what you are trying to debate with so my advice is save your breath

Attachments

• 8A87FAA1-CC46-4482-8AC6-98EBC8E2B74F.gif
    8A87FAA1-CC46-4482-8AC6-98EBC8E2B74F.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
He didn't get him in the head though.

I didn't say he did. Many concussion cases occur from the head hitting the ground, Rioli's action caused Rowell's head to hit the ground.

I can't see how that's in dispute.

I didn't say he did. Many concussion cases occur from the head hitting the ground, Rioli's action caused Rowell's head to hit the ground.

I can't see how that's in dispute.
Negligent by GC to not take him off for a concussion test. Should be an investigation into it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back