Review 2022 Mid Season Draft - Wednesday June 1 @ 6.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

So three of them are rucks.

We selected a 20 year old ruck, Kalin Lane out of the WAFL reserves in last year’s MSD. He was back up to Jackson at the 2019 Championships.

He’s come on a lot since last year, and has been going great in the VFL as our lead ruck.

Those other rucks are a year younger, so should be given plenty of slack before anyone passes judgment on them.

I know GC fans are really happy with Moyle’s development.

Wonder how Heath is going at St Kilda?
rucks are probably more likely to develop from rookie or MSD picks, it was mentioned last year, thats why Ramsden might be in high demand? but my post was not about no one making it from the NAB League to the AFL from the MSD, more that if you're looking for the best talent it's more likely to come from the State Leagues VFL/WAFL/SANFL from the MSD, because the 19-23 year olds have to work that much harder to make it in those leagues, rucks could be a work around because of their delayed development and could be a good investment project wise from the NAB League, but if a team needs a ruck now or soon it might be better to get one from the state leagues so it depends on the team and their needs.

So three of them are rucks.

We selected a 20 year old ruck, Kalin Lane out of the WAFL reserves in last year’s MSD. He was back up to Jackson at the 2019 Championships.

He’s come on a lot since last year, and has been going great in the VFL as our lead ruck.

Those other rucks are a year younger, so should be given plenty of slack before anyone passes judgment on them.

I know GC fans are really happy with Moyle’s development.

Wonder how Heath is going at St Kilda?
From all reports, he is tracking well. Still a long way off AFL level but Ratts and Jake Bachelor (Sandy coach) are very happy with how he is developing and have stated he is ahead of where they expected. Based off his reviews every week, Bachelor is a huge fan of him.

His best game so far was actually against Moyle - 16 disposals (12 contested), 28 hit outs, 3 goals, 4 marks, 4 tackles.

Ramsden getting pumped up as an early MSD pick, but do any of the top 3 clubs in this draft really need a 19yr old ruck?

I assume they’d all draft best available regardless.

Ramsden getting pumped up as an early MSD pick, but do any of the top 3 clubs in this draft really need a 19yr old ruck?

I assume they’d all draft best available regardless.
Why are you asking about the top 3 clubs? I could see Fremantle considering a ruck if Lobb is leaving. WC at the other end of the ladder could as well.

Why are you asking about the top 3 clubs? I could see Fremantle considering a ruck if Lobb is leaving. WC at the other end of the ladder could as well.
Because he’s considered to be in the top 3 in the MSD.

Who are the three that have been approved?

It’s understood West Adelaide midfielder Josh Carmichael, Sandringham Dragons forward Hugo Hall-Kahan and Port Melbourne defender Will Reinhold were the only players handed AFL exemptions to nominate.

Will Reinhold
Is he a key defender? AFL website saying he is but than iv read his playing on the wing but has played forward 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There shouldn't ever be a mid-year draft.

AFL clubs have plenty of opportunity to prepare for injuries.

WAFL, SANFL clubs have an obligation to members, supporters, sponsors and history to win a premiership. That is their aim and it should always be their aim as I'm sure everybody here acknowledges.

To have players taken mid season affects that and it's time for AFL clubs to be less selfish and to plan better in advance.

Yes, it's an opportunity for players mid season but why didn't the AFL clubs source them pre-season like Essendon did with Nic Martin.

Not good enough and too many people seeing corporate instead of ethical.

There shouldn't ever be a mid-year draft.

AFL clubs have plenty of opportunity to prepare for injuries.

WAFL, SANFL clubs have an obligation to members, supporters, sponsors and history to win a premiership. That is their aim and it should always be their aim as I'm sure everybody here acknowledges.

To have players taken mid season affects that and it's time for AFL clubs to be less selfish and to plan better in advance.

Yes, it's an opportunity for players mid season but why didn't the AFL clubs source them pre-season like Essendon did with Nic Martin.

Not good enough and too many people seeing corporate instead of ethical.
Exactly what you are doing worrying about the members and sponsors of SANFL/WAFL clubs instead of young players realising their dream of making it to the AFL lol...

Exactly what you are doing worrying about the members and sponsors of SANFL/WAFL clubs instead of young players realising their dream of making it to the AFL lol...
Wow...there is such as a thing as balance. A lot of these draft picks are produced by these clubs, who produce talent and try and win premierships and while they are successful they can continue to produce draft picks.

If clubs did their research then the young players would be picked in the draft or pre-season.

If they really have injury issues they should use a player from their state league host/partnership club. No need to disrupt the premiership plans of other clubs.

How many drafts do you want for clubs to dot the i's and cross the t's

As much as I like the big league, it's not all about the big league.

Last edited:
Yes it seems, but again I think it is quite conceivable WC may be interested in a ruck. Natanui is injured and they are using a KPF in the ruck.
Who are you referring to? Williams will be developed as a ruck, not a kf. They also have stradnica. Having said that it’s believable that they would go after a ruck if they liked one, having said that I think west coast have more need for an immediate ruck rather than another developing one… also think if they had their eye on a developing ruck broadbent would be the one they would want at the end of the year.

I think it’s believable that ramsden could slip past the first few picks.

Who are you referring to? Williams will be developed as a ruck, not a kf. They also have stradnica. Having said that it’s believable that they would go after a ruck if they liked one, having said that I think west coast have more need for an immediate ruck rather than another developing one… also think if they had their eye on a developing ruck broadbent would be the one they would want at the end of the year.

I think it’s believable that ramsden could slip past the first few picks.
I don't think Williams has come on as they would like, and Strnadica is depth level.

They may like Broadbent but surely the better investment right now for them is midfielders? But they have multiple needs.

I don't think Williams has come on as they would like, and Strnadica is depth level.

They may like Broadbent but surely the better investment right now for them is midfielders? But they have multiple needs.
Williams is still like 4-6 years away from the age rucks start to peak. He’s got plenty of time and at worst I don’t see how he doesn’t get around or close to the robs, pittonet type rucks going around by the time he’s in his prime.

The problem is that the eagles never should have had such a gap of age between their old nearly at the end rucks and their developing kids.

Do West Coast even have a spot available? Remember they had to move two players to the inactive list who didn't have 100% season ending injuries.....

I guess Hurn/Kennedy could pull a mid-season retirement?

Williams is still like 4-6 years away from the age rucks start to peak. He’s got plenty of time and at worst I don’t see how he doesn’t get around or close to the robs, pittonet type rucks going around by the time he’s in his prime.

The problem is that the eagles never should have had such a gap of age between their old nearly at the end rucks and their developing kids.
He has time yet to really develop as many bigger guys do. My main concern however is who is actually mentoring. Nic is not the man to be mentoring him IMHO, unpopular perhaps but my belief. Nic is very unique, with particular genetic strengths but also some real limitations that his unique genetics have helped to cover. In some ways Bailey has some similar traits but he needs some real guidance in areas Nic still to this day has never really had to fully develop. We have gone from at one point having both Longmuir and Cox mentoring Nic in official paid roles, to effectively having....well.

I see Bailey struggling in similar areas to Nick, positioning around the ground, early body contact and positioning in marking contests that Nick has never developed due to relying on innate physical genetic characteristics (which have still seen him struggle in marking areas regardless) and more that requires a real Ruck coach. Bailey can't do a Nic and have these areas somewhat overlooked due to being outweighed by his unique genetic brilliance in other areas. He needs a real paid Ruck coach and considering where we are at overall in this area, it's a glaring department weakness. If Nic continues to insist on tapping to himself so often and making himself an extra midfielder, with coach support, whilst mentoring other rucks and mids in that regard all whilst failing in other very important areas he has always been weak in, it spells trouble for Ruck development.

Do West Coast even have a spot available? Remember they had to move two players to the inactive list who didn't have 100% season ending injuries.....

I guess Hurn/Kennedy could pull a mid-season retirement?
They are currently like 2 spots over on their list but they are likely cutting a lot of dead wood at the end of the year so they can just put someone in for surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back