Autopsy Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the replay Sunday, having not watched live. Read this forum though and was looking out for a few key moments.

Overall, I don't think we were that bad in the fist half. I felt like the scoreline slightly flattered the Cats even. The umpires made 4-5 shocking calls against us, but were pretty good for the rest of the game. The Mitch Knevitt free kick on the boundary (in the last I believe) was gobsmackingly bad though...

I thought Jones was pretty good, despite the comments on here. Rusty, yes. But really having a crack. He just hits the ball differently.

I wanted to save my biggest praise for Crouch, Ross and Long. Crouch in the first especially was brilliant. Ross does so much off the ball now that he wasn't doing the last couple of seasons. His effort and endeavor is inspirational! Had low stats to half time but had been involved a lot. And finally Ben Long. He was a wrecking ball! Loved his ferocity and attack (all clean and legal too). Umpires were desperate to ping him I'm sure, but he never made a mistake. That's why they had to get him for a terrible HTB in the 3rd or 4th from memory.

Pretty enjoyable game to watch. Sharman stays in. Did a job negating Stewart's intercepting game and got dangerous a few times. He's so clever and such a natural footy player. Just must play.

Fairly sure Stewart could have punched or indeed marked that ball, without the flying knee to the back of the skull to a kid that’s had brain surgery....
Definitely intent to hurt there.
Nothing to answer for obviously.
As long as your not standing still and someone runs into you ay paddy?

Fairly sure Stewart could have punched or indeed marked that ball, without the flying knee to the back of the skull to a kid that’s had brain surgery....
Definitely intent to hurt there.
Nothing to answer for obviously.
As long as your not standing still and someone runs into you ay paddy?
St Kilda players don't have heads, or backs ... they're just built differently to everyone else.

Long deserves a lot of credit. It wouldn't be easy swapping between roles up forward and down back but he's been able to play his role perfectly at both ends.
12 months ago we were looking at the 2016 draft being a total write off and now Batts is indispensable and looking a a 3 year contract and Longy is finally getting some appreciation for what is a very tough gig.
I've always thought we were a better side with them both in. It gives us the harder edge that we were lacking and helps the others stand taller.

12 months ago we were looking at the 2016 draft being a total write off and now Batts is indispensable and looking a a 3 year contract and Longy is finally getting some appreciation for what is a very tough gig.
I've always thought we were a better side with them both in. It gives us the harder edge that we were lacking and helps the others stand taller.
Thanks Hawthorn

I just get the vibe that with Heritier its all about him, even though he paints the picture of crusading a bigger cause.

Others, like Winmar have done better.
I don't mind it being up for discussion.

Apart from Long i can't really think of any disparate tribunal punishments as suggested. But my memory is probably shot.

HL seems like he's a bit of a self obsessed type but I think we all have some inherent racism that we don't even realise is there. He's never going to have people on his side but sometimes the wreckers are the ones that burn stuff down to rebuild it better.

Rhyan Mansell is the only player that I could see that is currently suspended....who is indigenous so I'd say that's 110% irrefutable evidence that the system is racist. ;)

Not since Stevie Baker have we had a physical enforcer like him. I'm really happy he's found his niche in the side because its something good sides have. Also mentioned it before but he has an ability to really lift the guys with those types of efforts.

I thought he was going to lay out Kosi Pickett last week. You wouldn't * with Long if you had any sense, he plays angry.

I thought he was going to lay out Kosi Pickett last week. You wouldn't fu** with Long if you had any sense, he plays angry.
I love watching Long go round ... it feels like he's adopted a policy more aligned with "Make them THINK you're going to kill them" rather than "Kill'em all and let the tribunal sort it out" this year, and it's working pretty brilliantly for him.

I'd hate to have Long running at me ...

Fair call, I just think we are particularly vulnerable to good tall forwards. That would only be a handful of players though mind you.

Before you get too worked up, just remember that half of Hawkins goals were gifted by us. If DMac doesn’t mis-kick and Battle holds his mark then there’s less to complain about.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love watching Long go round ... it feels like he's adopted a policy more aligned with "Make them THINK you're going to kill them" rather than "Kill'em all and let the tribunal sort it out" this year, and it's working pretty brilliantly for him.

I'd hate to have Long running at me ...
Yep. All good and well he’s hard at the ball but if his 100% aggro gets him suspended every third week we’re much better off him at 80% and playing every week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches Votes

10 - Paddy Ryder (STK)
5 - Zach Tuohy (GEEL)
5 - Brad Crouch (STK)
4 - Jade Gresham (STK)
3 - Jack Sinclair (STK)
2 - Zak Jones (STK)
1 - Isaac Smith (GEEL)

Long will now get another contract as well. i almost gave up on him

Just a bit over 6 months ago Billings, Ross & Longy were basically untradeable. Amazing!

Imagine if we had accepted a bag of chips for them and they were playing like they are for their new clubs*

That would've been the most St Kildary thing of all time.

* All 3 players have some sort of connection with Essendon however it seems old Dildo didn't want any of them, even at heavily discounted prices :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Did isaac smith even play after the 1st quarter? Only remember his goal, that's about it. No doubt Scott gave him the vote
I reckon you're right there. I just did a quick sense check and came up with -

Scott: Ryder, Tuohy, Sinclair, Crouch, Smith
Ratten: Ryder, Gresham, Crouch, Jones, Tuohy

Agree that Ross was stiff.

Well not quite as Rowan Marshall goes ok.

Plus we also gained the 2017 selection of Hunter Clark by trading our 2016 first pick.

So at present our draft picks from 2016 really have gained us Marshall (Rookie Pick), Clark, Battle and Long (All gained from trading picks 10 +68).

PS Koby Stevens was going ok till concussion ended his career.

Long is a different player this season.

He is playing smarter and using the ball better. But still with that aggressive edge that many of our players do not have.

His kicking has been a real stand out.

He is a lot more effective this season.

Long is a different player this season.

He is playing smarter and using the ball better. But still with that aggressive edge that many of our players do not have.

His kicking has been a real stand out.

He is a lot more effective this season.

He looked pretty bad last year. He seemed to lack energy and maybe even a bit of interest at times. He didn't seem to be enjoying footy at all, he seems to have got back to playing with enthusiasm.

As I said before, Butler harasses and chases and lays easy to break tackles but Long hits hard and causes fear in his vicinity. If Butler came at you you'd steady and release at your own pace. Get Long coming at you and you're throwing him the ball to stop him hurting you. He plays like a human tornado.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back