Autopsy 2022 Rd 10 Blues and heart surgeons rejoice. Carlton beat Swans

Who played well for the Blues in Round 10 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

281788431_2083325388505384_2703445100101513859_n.jpg

I thought it was the same action. Slaps the ball out of his hand and follows through to grab jumper.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Regardless of whether it was a free kick or not, my original point was that sometimes, it looks like his thinking is confused. And my theory is that he has the relics of convoluted coaching still running through his mind.

On these occasions, and it is not that often, I think he's having a brilliant year, but he doesn't take the first option, which is fine, but when he doesn't take the second option, he has usually been swamped. And then assuming he hasn't been tackled yet, he is then looking for a third, and relying on his strength to still get it away.

I have seen this on a regular basis and it is something I have seen others say "he's trying to do it all."

We used to need that, but not anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are delayed views, because I was working for the AEC yesterday.

Cottrell and O’Brien are great examples of what a system does for more limited players. For years, we’ve bemoaned coming up against players we think are bunnies, who then go on to destroy us. David Hale would be one example. But that’s what happens when you put players in a system. They can build confidence in their game because they have confidence in the team’s game.

I don’t care what anyone says about a lid. That second quarter was premiership football. Every single year I’ve watched footy since 1982, that football wins a flag. Our task is to hold it up for longer. Then we win a flag.

The fade-out was qualitatively better than other games. We basically did control the terms on which that last quarter was played. We haven’t done that in other matches.

That said, I do wish our crowds would try and lift the team when we start to slip. After all the heartache, I can understand the tendency to sit back and look pensive. But if there is a concerted effort to find voice and genuinely lift the team during a run-on, then it’s not coming through over the tv coverage.

We could have looked at Williams as a guy we’d recruited to play midfield and been shy again. So credit to the recruiters for sticking fat with Hewett. Like Williams, he’d played midfield at the Swans and done well, but they’d always found other players for their rotations. You can’t overestimate the value of a guy who just does his job every single week. Absolute gun.

Regardless of whether it was a free kick or not, my original point was that sometimes, it looks like his thinking is confused. And my theory is that he has the relics of convoluted coaching still running through his mind.

On these occasions, and it is not that often, I think he's having a brilliant year, but he doesn't take the first option, which is fine, but when he doesn't take the second option, he has usually been swamped. And then assuming he hasn't been tackled yet, he is then looking for a third, and relying on his strength to still get it away.

I have seen this on a regular basis and it is something I have seen others say "he's trying to do it all."

We used to need that, but not anymore.
The better teams give less time
So I think Crippa is learning this too
You just can’t get too cute against teams that are on your tail quicker
All is good
He’s having a great year

Cottrell and O’Brien are great examples of what a system does for more limited players. For years, we’ve bemoaned coming up against players we think are bunnies, who then go on to destroy us. David Hale would be one example. But that’s what happens when you put players in a system. They can build confidence in their game because they have confidence in the team’s game.

I don’t care what anyone says about a lid. That second quarter was premiership football. Every single year I’ve watched footy since 1982, that football wins a flag. Our task is to hold it up for longer. Then we win a flag.

The fade-out was qualitatively better than other games. We basically did control the terms on which that last quarter was played. We haven’t done that in other matches.

That said, I do wish our crowds would try and lift the team when we start to slip. After all the heartache, I can understand the tendency to sit back and look pensive. But if there is a concerted effort to find voice and genuinely lift the team during a run-on, then it’s not coming through over the tv coverage.

We could have looked at Williams as a guy we’d recruited to play midfield and been shy again. So credit to the recruiters for sticking fat with Hewett. Like Williams, he’d played midfield at the Swans and done well, but they’d always found other players for their rotations. You can’t overestimate the value of a guy who just does his job every single week. Absolute gun.

Some sort of fade out always likely given:

1. quality of opposition
2. 5 day turnaround
3. number of young players in our 22.
4. Missing a few players!

But wholeheartedly agree, Q2 was flag quality.

Last edited:
I re-watched the 2nd and final quarters yesterday. That 2nd quarter was very special. Watching without nerves, we played that last quarter really well on the whole. It made me proud watching it again. Some excellent individual efforts but also just excellent team play. This season is just off the charts and I do believe we could go deep into finals. Insane

100% this although no doubt the coverage may have given it that bent to help with the narrative that we are prone to blowing leads, but it did feel like the supporters went into their shell in the second half.

Don’t get me wrong I was a bit nervous when Sydney started coming back but I always felt like we would win as I kept thinking the players now have a lot of experience in similar situations to call on.

Nick Austin, son of curly, has shown that he can pluck value from anywhere- It is remarkable. He will take our list to a string of premierships.
Instead of chasing a papley- as sos did , he backed his judgement and got us Durdin and Motlop , to add to owies and fish. Suddenly our Achilles heel is our strength. Its looking like the tiger premiership forward line, with 2 elite talls (Reiwaldt/Lynch>> Harry/Charlie) and a fleet of small forwards ( caddy, rioli, castagna, butler etc) . Not sure that we have a player directly comparable to Dusty, but Cripps drifting forward can be pretty unstoppable as well.
Before we crown Austin the mastermind he needs to fix the key position player depth issue which has happened on his watch after he delisted 3 in on off season without replacing any of them with like for like.

I’ll give him a pass for this season as nobody could have foreseen the Jones situation but I really hope he addresses it at this seasons end.

Last edited:
Back