Autopsy Round 10, 2022: Hawks hunt down the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

There is also an outside chance of Reeves
I'd say if his shoulder has progressed to the level required we will bite the bullet. Even just being there to compete so Witt's doesn't just farm the ball to Miller and co all night. Need to remember we're up against a giant ruckman next weekend. Without a decent enough opponent he will do as he pleases. Either that or we go with Kosi, Nash etc and structure the side and gameplan around reading the taps to try and mitigate what could happen.

(On Howe)

It's up to him now to excel in the ones....and keep others out on merit alone.

If he does, he does.

It has to be a meritocracy, for the most part.
He didn't.

The fact we knocked off a solid Lions outfit (contenders or otherwise) without Scrimmers, Big Boy, Ned, Gunston, and even Ward and McDonald (who would be at least best 25 based on form) is a really nice feeling. Granted they were missing Daniher, McStay, Adams. Feel great about the challenge for spots with the list to come in, going to be some unlucky ones.

We are supposed to be way off it, rebuilding etc, but seriously love how we’re throwing caution to the wind and serving it up, come what may. You can see the confidence building in the young blokes playing instinctive footy like this. “Staid” Damo - you watching mate? 😉

Man that patch in the 4th when emitchel got pinged for the gentle shove in the ass after the ball went over the line and dead that lead to a lions goal to be quickly followed by a tiggy touchwood free to us before the centre bounce followed by another to cosi for a goal was embarrassing for he sport
Was almost like umpire v umpire that passage!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

The good
Every single player had a higher supercoach score than their fantasy score. People were doing things with the ball.
Sicily: what a force he has become.
Newcombe: Wow. Just wow
O'Meara: today we got what we paid for.
Nash: so many times he'd give it off and receive further down the chain. Work ethic is elite.
DGB: He belongs. So useful. Kicks like Mew,
Impey: So glad he's back.
Butler: two goals so glad he got to belong. No youf is going to be the new "too old too slow" tagline.
Mitchell Lewis: Get the ball in his hands ANYWHERE on the arc, an elite ick for goal. He won me the goal kicking comp in here with a kick identical to that one he kicked today from the other side (but at the G)
Liams Shiels: he does what's asked of him every time he's asked.

The ho hum:
Will Day got chased down again. I make that three times this year, where he's clear and continues to run. Are our players not talking to him? His injury :(
Lynch getting injured. Hawthorn ruck lines are like succession lines to the thrown. How many injuries until Tom Mitchell is our ruck?
Breust had a tough day, (he touched an Impey kick on the goal line.) Picked it right up in the last though.
What the hell was that umpiring. It was almost as though the other two knew Mollison umpired rnd 2 2019 and decided to even things up. Was like they wanted to be in on the action because it was such a good game.

Last edited:
Just got home from the game a few random thoughts.
  • Umpiring, Comical. The umps should all be hanging there heads in shame, just horrible for both teams.
  • Duke could be something special.
  • TOM best on
  • DGB great fight back from last week.
  • Siss was brilliant
  • Hartigan being the sub is a head scratcher.
  • Hand warmers were useful, thanks Chemist Wharehouse
  • the old lady lions supporter near us 💀🖕🏿

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cudos to Sam Mitchell and his coaching style. I won't lie and say I was worried when Clarko was shown the door.

But attacking footy win or lose is so refreshing and its obvious that the players likes Mitch's style. Shows faith in blokes like Butler to have another crack after an ordinary first game but then shows what the future brings in his next one like today. Not afraid to put Frosty up forward and shuffle things around. I like it.

Clarko was magnificent in his time but also had some awesome assistants it must be said but the game style can change very quick.

Sam Mitchell has shown he has the respect of the playing group and a deep thinker with an attacking game style.

You can now see he will re-build the club before long and very exciting.

Merlot three to come and finish me off for the night.. wish me well...till I wake up and watch the replay..again..

Butler having three goals would have been a great highlight, shame he hit that poster at the end

Really liked JOM's game today, he looked like a super strong bucking bull during contests.
JOM started to find space in the contest. That kind of matrix type play where he moves to the right space and oppo mids don't get near him. He's a special player when he starts to believe.

Just a tremendous win. Thought a real team effort, most played well. Not necessarily all the best, but my highlights were:

• Mitch Lewis - played on a super player and probably got beaten but persisted and still jagged 4. He wanted to be the man with that last bomb. Loved it.
  • Newk - gun, will be scary good.
  • Nash - competed really hard, he has nearly won me over.
  • DGB - great game, rock solid in big contests.
  • jaeger - bull.

We should be 6-7 at the bye with players coming back.

When we get stronger in the middle we won’t put our defence under so much heat. I reckon a bit more midfield quality and depth, and another 1-2 years into lynch/reeves and we are closer than we think. Our defence will be premiership quality very soon & our fwds are on the right path.

Quietly monster game by Tom Mitchell.
Match high for disposals, clearances, contested possessions, tackles, pressure acts and kicked a goal.

JOM provided some very clean hands At stoppages and in contests today. Very good game.

Duke is a gun player right now. Sky is the limit for this kid. Wow!

Sicily and dgb were fantastic down back. Controlled the air and turn defence into attack very quickly.

Was great seeing Cj back in the side.

Lewis was immense. Such a good player now.

Plenty of other contributions but the last one I’ll mention is chad. The guy makes us a better side. Just wants to win.

Exciting football.

The midfield mix looked better today with o'meara forward and worpel rested.

Jai playing like the top 3 midfielder draft pick we were all wanting.

CJ's pace early and rocket onto Chad's chest was as good as you will see in this comp.

Butler is going to be a ripper. Should have had 3, with one hitting the post, and the goal that wansn't counted from last week suggests he's shooting his shot twice a game on average.

Mitch Lewis proving to be a top 3 draft pick level talent.

Always seem to win when Shiels plays.

Frosty looks dangerous up forward. Would love to drop Callow back and swing Frosty wherever he feels like going.

Lynch won us the game today - without him standing up like he did we lose by 5 goals.

So many standout performances Mitch going to have a selection headache next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back