Autopsy Round 10, 2022: Hawks hunt down the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartigan stays in. Sicily just had his best game of the year because he could play his attacking role due to Hartigan. DGB just had his beat game of the year, seeing a pattern here. Frosty also was able to switch up and down the ground generally terrorising the opposition (and Hawk dabs with nervous moments) but my point is Hartigan structurally is huge for u
Screenshot_2022-05-22-21-16-57-07_d3b1b7a3fba2476073fda29c3942b0aa.jpg

Lewis, Koschitzke and Moore are all having career best seasons despite Hawthorn sitting in the bottom half in the league for inside 50s.

The forward-line is not quite complete yet, but it’s not far off either. We’re just missing two more pieces of the puzzle. Another small forward and a medium forward would bring it all together.

HF: ———?, Koschitzke, Butler

F: Brockman, Lewis, ———?
Wingard has minimum 4/5 years left.

Mitch Lewis is surprising me. He’s turned into a project (hope player) into a real player who looks like a future leader and real star.
He's the highlight of the year so far for me, I remember saying 2 years ago he was the most important part of the rebuild. Has really come on.

This Game was a culture building step into the future.

One chains of possessions in the 3rd (I think) where our players won a series of contested 1 vs. 1s really showed some high level talent and grit. I felt good about the game right there, based on what I'd seen to that point, and that we'd won that number of contested possessions in a row against the number 2 contender.

But to win like we did in the end, when we took chances while limiting/rushing/harrassing a super potent opponent in the Lions was just made of steel. It wasn't always pretty, but we hung in and refused to lay down.

Once our young talent starts to mature, it's game on again for us in finals. We're one more good draft year and some development away from challenging imo.

Kudos to our mids who squared the clearance contest against a highly rated midfield, despite a massively losing ruck. The mix we have now is pretty close. Ward will replace Shiels in time but I can't find a place for Worpel in the medium term, Mitchell and O'Meara have another two or three seasons in them so we have to keep on the lookout. However, most likely McDonald will transition into the midfield over the next few years as may Day.

Like others, I thought DGB had his best game. Looked more like a mature, balanced defender than a promising kid. I can't see Hartigan regaining his spot unless there is a long-term injury to Frost.

Lynch looks out of his depth in the ruck. He has some handy attributes but I think we need to have a good think about his future role if he stays on the list. At the moment he is just a fill-in. He is a good size, has decent hands and is a reasonable set shot. He even has a ground game. Maybe, in future years, he takes the Hale role as CHF with Kosi being the long term Gunston replacement.

My main points:

CJ’s run and just general impact with his footy brain, ability to contest in the air and his run and carry and elite kicking adds 5 goals a game

Hartigan stays in. Sicily just had his best game of the year because he could play his attacking role due to Hartigan. DGB just had his beat game of the year, seeing a pattern here. Frosty also was able to switch up and down the ground generally terrorising the opposition (and Hawk dabs with nervous moments) but my point is Hartigan structurally is huge for us

Tom Mitchell and Worpell together just doesn’t work. They amplify their weaknesses in actually clearing it effectively and forward from a contest. It’s sad but one or both has to go at the end of the year.

Surprisingly JOM seems to be far more effective with Worpell out too, his ability to impact contests and get the ball forward seemed like the best Jaegar again.

Mitch Lewis is surprising me. He’s turned into a project (hope player) into a real player who looks like a future leader and real star.

Hardwick is very good at shutting down small forwards, but he needs to find a way to be a bit more creative. Impey just not functioning right. At his best he should be charging down the ground and linking up behind defensive contests like Guerra. But unlike Guerra he isn’t showing elite kicking or metres gained like CJ or putting physical pressure on players. Can get there but needs to reinvent himself.

We need two small forwards with a lust for forward pressure like Cyril and Rioli. We don’t have any and it’s a massive hole, which is why teams rebound so easily and score against us from their defense.

Nash and Duke Nukem are beasts, but we need some more mids. I’d trade Mitchell and Worpell and use those picks on some new blood.

I’m loving our direction and Mitchell’s coaching but these are my thoughts at round 10.

Sicily was brilliant all game, and Hartigan only came on in the third. Plus Sicily and DGB played that well without Frost back there (playing KPD). Don't think Hartigan had anything to do with Sicily playing well.

When the chips were down early in the 1st, JOM's energy and hunger won us back in the contest.

Didn't have huge numbers but I had him in my top 5. He's really finding form.

Kudos to our mids who squared the clearance contest against a highly rated midfield, despite a massively losing ruck. The mix we have now is pretty close. Ward will replace Shiels in time but I can't find a place for Worpel in the medium term, Mitchell and O'Meara have another two or three seasons in them so we have to keep on the lookout. However, most likely McDonald will transition into the midfield over the next few years as may Day.

Like others, I thought DGB had his best game. Looked more like a mature, balanced defender than a promising kid. I can't see Hartigan regaining his spot unless there is a long-term injury to Frost.

Lynch looks out of his depth in the ruck. He has some handy attributes but I think we need to have a good think about his future role if he stays on the list. At the moment he is just a fill-in. He is a good size, has decent hands and is a reasonable set shot. He even has a ground game. Maybe, in future years, he takes the Hale role as CHF with Kosi being the long term Gunston replacement.

Hard to pick between 10 gamers reeves and lynch. Lynch can find a goal or two though

Very very solid win

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis, Koschitzke and Moore are all having career best seasons despite Hawthorn sitting in the bottom half in the league for inside 50s.

The forward-line is not quite complete yet, but it’s not far off either. We’re just missing two more pieces of the puzzle. Another small forward and a medium forward would bring it all together.

HF: ———?, Koschitzke, Butler

F: Brockman, Lewis, ———?
For now it's Gunston and Breust

Or Moore/Wingard rotate through the small and Serong is the medium.

Great win. We just never stopped. Arguably got some favourable umpiring but made the most of it.

Jai, Sicily, Lewis, Mitchell were great but lots of contributions across the park. Brisbanes lack of talls helped us as Sicily and DGB had a lot easier time of it.

Midfield mix looked better with worpel out. Mitchell was largely winning the ball in good spots and dishing it out by hand which is what we want. Shiels is handy - can play any role and pretty effective at what he does and happy to sacrifice his game to let others shine. Reckon he should stay in. Howe I’m not too sure about.

Injuries a concern. Day can be replaced by scrim but another concussion (I think) for lynch is not good at all.

I’m not saying Hartigan in a champion and in fact I’d love us to draft a big brute defender, but surprised people can’t see his big body is the reason Sic could go out all attack and DGB also had his best game of the year. It’s what we’ve been missing in our structure.

I'm not sure how you could point to this game and say Hartigan is key for us.

He may well be, but I wouldn't be using this game as your starting point of evidence.
Seems a massive coincidence when Rustyhawk and myself have been crying out for a big bodied defender to let Sic and DGB play attacking roles / third man up in particular for DGB.

Seems a massive coincidence when Rustyhawk and myself have been crying out for a big bodied defender to let Sic and DGB play attacking roles / third man up in particular for DGB.
Our defence conceded 17 goals......I wouldn't be saying Hartigan "fixed" anything.

When the chips were down early in the 1st, JOM's energy and hunger won us back in the contest.

Didn't have huge numbers but I had him in my top 5. He's really finding form.
I’m convinced it’s because he can use his body positioning more effectively with Nukem and Mitchell drawing the ball forward rather than running around in circles ala Joel Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back