Autopsy Round 10, 2022: Hawks hunt down the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a listen to fagan’s presser, he has the mantle now for grumpiest coach - put the wind up the journos.
I liked it. The questions were lazy and lacked any depth. He was just looking to get him talking, probably looking for a quote for a headline. I like when the coaches bite back.

I hope he gets dropped this week, so everyone can see Sic getting cannoned into all game and negating his attacking weaponry. Similar to DGB who won’t be able to play third tall up.
Hartigan only played the last quarter... Both Sicily and DGB were playing well before he even took the field.

I’m not saying Hartigan in a champion and in fact I’d love us to draft a big brute defender, but surprised people can’t see his big body is the reason Sic could go out all attack and DGB also had his best game of the year. It’s what we’ve been missing in our structure.
He literally played a quarter of footy. Sicily and DGB were killing it all game. It wasn't because Hartigan came on.

I’m convinced it’s because he can use his body positioning more effectively with Nukem and Mitchell drawing the ball forward rather than running around in circles ala Joel Smith.

He is one of our only mids apart from Duke that invites body contact before disposing of the ball. Puts our runners in much better positions.

Think his move up forward has been a blessing. We have much better ball users forward of centre that he can release to and the opposition he plays against tend not to be the bigger stronger mids that his fend off doesn't work as well against.

I’m not saying Hartigan in a champion and in fact I’d love us to draft a big brute defender, but surprised people can’t see his big body is the reason Sic could go out all attack and DGB also had his best game of the year. It’s what we’ve been missing in our structure.
Yesterday was quality win but it's also important to recognise that they were missing Joe 'Goofy' Daniher, Daniel McStay and Marcus Adams so pretty much their starting spine. While Hartigan allows Sic and DGB to play off their opponents more if either of Goofy or McStay plays yesterday the result would've likely been different and Hartigan wouldn't have been able to do much about it at all.

I'm not sure what part of Impey's brain got tickled when he got crunched but we we need to bonk him on the head there each time he plays.

Was back to his best.
The signs were there last week. It's important to remember that the guy has just come back from an ACL. If he gets anywhere near his form pre-injury then our run coming out of halfback will be phenomenal. Bramble still hans't hit form yet either and has struggled in patches.

I hope he gets dropped this week, so everyone can see Sic getting cannoned into all game and negating his attacking weaponry. Similar to DGB who won’t be able to play third tall up.
He only played the last. And didn’t do a lot, as both Sicily and DGB her playing well already.

If he’s got a tank, hoping he can play ruck

I'm not sure what part of Impey's brain got tickled when he got crunched but we we need to bonk him on the head there each time he plays.

Was back to his best.
Watching I thought he was just winded, there was no contact to the head from what I saw. BT kept going on about it though in the commentary. If there was any concussion he would have been pulled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching I thought he was just winded, there was no contact to the head from what I saw. BT kept going on about it though in the commentary. If there was any concussion he would have been pulled.
BT is one the biggest idiots when commentating a game, when lynch went down with the head knock he said he was playing for a free, theirs a high chance he may be going blind now

Have a listen to fagan’s presser, he has the mantle now for grumpiest coach - put the wind up the journos.
He really isn’t as nice a person as people think. Can’t stand the bloke.
Seems a massive coincidence when Rustyhawk and myself have been crying out for a big bodied defender to let Sic and DGB play attacking roles / third man up in particular for DGB.
I think this has been answered enough, but he played one quarter. The last. Sicily and Shaggy were doing just fine without Hartigan in the first three quarters.

What a fun day.

Jiath will be better for the run.

Jai, what more can be said. The kid just looks like he loves his footy so much out there.

Jaeger, his stats really don’t show the influence he had on that game. superb.

So happy for Wingard. He sounded so proud of the efforts when interviewed after the game.

Dylan Moore worked his arse off all day and got the rewards the longer the game went.

The boys really got under Lachie Neales skin, and Pup finished him off in the second half.

Some really exciting signs, but can the bloody umpires stop having an unnecessary impact on the game. The amount of free kicks was insane, and it seemed like they missed a stack of the more obvious ones at times. One of the most poorly umpired games i’ve attended.

The fam enjoyed the miss by Hipwood towards the end. He would be close to my girl’s most hated player so they loved it.

Also, had a rather obnoxious Brisbane supporter in front of us. The sook left when Lewis slotted that goal from 50, so a few of us gave him a good send off.

Neale was absolutely destorying us in the first half (his handballs were lightning), shiels is the ultimate professional, completely removed his effectiveness and was a big reason we won the game
First half newcombe was on neale. No real tagging, just tit-for-tat. Got in the way a bit and frustrated the hell out of him. Outside of a 5min burst near the end of the half, neale was largely ineffective. Newcombes game was how sewell used to play

I liked it. The questions were lazy and lacked any depth. He was just looking to get him talking, probably looking for a quote for a headline. I like when the coaches bite back.
Just on this - I listened to Sam's presser. The questions were super basic and lazy.

There was zero insight or football knowledge. It was almost as if the journo didn't watch the game and only saw the score at the end.

Yesterday was quality win but it's also important to recognise that they were missing Joe 'Goofy' Daniher, Daniel McStay and Marcus Adams so pretty much their starting spine.

They also played a lazy, entitled brand of football. Their midfielders didn't appear to have any defensive desire, and so too their small forwards, particularly Charlie Cameron, who apart from a Joe the Goose and a free kick was nowhere near it for most of the day.

To my eyes their overall defensive structure was a mess, they relied on centre clearances and our unforced errors (including free kicks) for most of their admittedly large score.

I cannot see how they will get to a Grand Final playing that way, even with their spine back in the team.

Watching the replay, that passage where CJ gets bowled over, Brisbane get a free, then a 50m (70m) ... what the hell was the free for?! I've watched it over and over and can't work it out? What was it called? CJ didn't have the ball, Prior tackles him without it, front on contact and Brisbane get it?!

Also, the 50 against CJ for standing in the zone and then running out. Was he supposed to magically disappear up his own arsehole or something? He ran away from the mark.

Watching the replay, that passage where CJ gets bowled over, Brisbane get a free, then a 50m (70m) ... what the hell was the free for?! I've watched it over and over and can't work it out? What was it called? CJ didn't have the ball, Prior tackles him without it, front on contact and Brisbane get it?!

Also, the 50 against CJ for standing in the zone and then running out. Was he supposed to magically disappear up his own arsehole or something? He ran away from the mark.
I am assuming the umpire had already called CJ to stand hence why the 50m was paid. If it wasn't that, then I have no idea.

I thought it was because Mitchell took a step or 2 after the umpire called stand

My main points:

CJ’s run and just general impact with his footy brain, ability to contest in the air and his run and carry and elite kicking adds 5 goals a game

Hartigan stays in. Sicily just had his best game of the year because he could play his attacking role due to Hartigan. DGB just had his beat game of the year, seeing a pattern here. Frosty also was able to switch up and down the ground generally terrorising the opposition (and Hawk dabs with nervous moments) but my point is Hartigan structurally is huge for us

Tom Mitchell and Worpell together just doesn’t work. They amplify their weaknesses in actually clearing it effectively and forward from a contest. It’s sad but one or both has to go at the end of the year.

Surprisingly JOM seems to be far more effective with Worpell out too, his ability to impact contests and get the ball forward seemed like the best Jaegar again.

Mitch Lewis is surprising me. He’s turned into a project (hope player) into a real player who looks like a future leader and real star.

Hardwick is very good at shutting down small forwards, but he needs to find a way to be a bit more creative. Impey just not functioning right. At his best he should be charging down the ground and linking up behind defensive contests like Guerra. But unlike Guerra he isn’t showing elite kicking or metres gained like CJ or putting physical pressure on players. Can get there but needs to reinvent himself.

We need two small forwards with a lust for forward pressure like Cyril and Rioli. We don’t have any and it’s a massive hole, which is why teams rebound so easily and score against us from their defense.

Nash and Duke Nukem are beasts, but we need some more mids. I’d trade Mitchell and Worpell and use those picks on some new blood.

I’m loving our direction and Mitchell’s coaching but these are my thoughts at round 10.
Hartigan played a quarter and didn’t get near it. He’s not staying.

My main points:

CJ’s run and just general impact with his footy brain, ability to contest in the air and his run and carry and elite kicking adds 5 goals a game

Hartigan stays in. Sicily just had his best game of the year because he could play his attacking role due to Hartigan. DGB just had his beat game of the year, seeing a pattern here. Frosty also was able to switch up and down the ground generally terrorising the opposition (and Hawk dabs with nervous moments) but my point is Hartigan structurally is huge for us

Tom Mitchell and Worpell together just doesn’t work. They amplify their weaknesses in actually clearing it effectively and forward from a contest. It’s sad but one or both has to go at the end of the year.

Surprisingly JOM seems to be far more effective with Worpell out too, his ability to impact contests and get the ball forward seemed like the best Jaegar again.

Mitch Lewis is surprising me. He’s turned into a project (hope player) into a real player who looks like a future leader and real star.

Hardwick is very good at shutting down small forwards, but he needs to find a way to be a bit more creative. Impey just not functioning right. At his best he should be charging down the ground and linking up behind defensive contests like Guerra. But unlike Guerra he isn’t showing elite kicking or metres gained like CJ or putting physical pressure on players. Can get there but needs to reinvent himself.

We need two small forwards with a lust for forward pressure like Cyril and Rioli. We don’t have any and it’s a massive hole, which is why teams rebound so easily and score against us from their defense.

Nash and Duke Nukem are beasts, but we need some more mids. I’d trade Mitchell and Worpell and use those picks on some new blood.

I’m loving our direction and Mitchell’s coaching but these are my thoughts at round 10.
Sicilys game had nothing to do with Hartigan

He play 1 quarter and Brisbane had their least inside 50s for the game in the 4th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back