Review Dogs overcome first quarter blues to beat Hawks 125-83

Remove this Banner Ad

But one of our worst concussions last year was a friendly fire incident (Astro's knee on English at Manuka). How do you police that? Give a free to GWS?
There are obviously incidents like that where it’s friendly fire. I’m more concerned about the perception of the incident. It’s seen as great TV for a forward to obliterate a backman. A knee to the back of the head is spectacle. But if that happens in a centre stoppage, it’s an immediate free kick. Why the difference?

Decent game but mental lapses in the 1st and 4th quarters cost a big blow out win. Should have been an 80 pt margin.

Great to have JJ back.

Good games from the 3 talls up forward. Need to keep that structure.

Sweet is just a battering ram. Soaks up the physicality of the ruck work but doesn't do much else. Questionable free kick for his goal. Interesting that player ratings loved his game last night, would like to delve into that a bit.

Libba was just immense. One of the best games of his career. To be performing at that level with his injury history is huge.

Scott played another very solid game. He’s the sort of bottom 6 player I’m more than happy to have in the side.

Filled on for Richards when he went down. Bevo would love his ability to plug holes up forward, the wing and down back throughout the course of the game.
He laid a few good tackles which hasn’t normally been his strength

Good point. For a 9 game player playing in the ruck he was able to think through what he had to do to adjust to opposition ruck. He was getting beaten in first Qtr like many but he fought back well.

His body size helps in stoppages and his tap work is getting better.

He should not be dismissed simply because we have English. I don’t like seeing Scache Buku types rucking

In last Qtr scuffle broke out out on wing two of our players made detours to attend Libba and Sweet.
I agree.
Sweet was well beaten in the first quarter. Reeves was jumping and reaching all over him. He was a lot better in the second half when he engaged Reeves, took body and kept him down, then fought for the clearance. I thought Reeves dropped away and looked tired of wrestling.

Also props to Schache for his game. Always liked him as a player but the physical side of his game was embarrassing. He played really physically and was hard at the ball and man last night. Possible that dominating VFL for so long has given him some confidence to throw his weight around. Hopefully it continues.

I agree.
Sweet was well beaten in the first quarter. Reeves was jumping and reaching all over him. He was a lot better in the second half when he engaged Reeves, took body and kept him down, then fought for the clearance. I thought Reeves dropped away and looked tired of wrestling.
Most of them were well beaten in the first quarter???

Good point. For a 9 game player playing in the ruck he was able to think through what he had to do to adjust to opposition ruck. He was getting beaten in first Qtr like many but he fought back well.

His body size helps in stoppages and his tap work is getting better.

He should not be dismissed simply because we have English. I don’t like seeing Scache Buku types rucking

In last Qtr scuffle broke out out on wing two of our players made detours to attend Libba and Sweet.
Can rely on those two. I remember Sweetie was suspended for three weeks after his first game in the VFL 😀. But hey, we are low on enforcers without them.

Did anyone notice the umpire looked like he was throwing it in rather than throwing it up? Saw this at least twice. This is the field umpire/s. Meant to be throwing up and the ball went at a 45 degree angle instead of straight up. Now what's their argument going to be? Can't bounce properly = get rid of the bounce and throw it up. Can't throw up properly = ? coin toss? netball little throw up & first hands to it? ????

I thought JJ and Macrae were excellent, particularly early when we were struggling.

Libba, Bont and West great as the game went on.

I was a bit disappointed with Crozier's game, but first game back in the 1s.

Weightman probably shouldn't have played.

Said similar about Macrae in the GameDay thread. He’s our most important player when things are tough as he still finds the ball and uses it well, even when Bont and our other top players are out of sorts. Agree that JJ was very good, I’ve been very critical of him in recent years (with good reason I think) but he seems to have found a valuable role here. That he can kick it straight for goal from a long way out is a point of difference too.

For his relative inexperience West has been a standout recently. Now I’m all for selection integrity week on week, but I’d be surprised if he’s not a best 22 moving forward unless something dramatic happens. Forward line looks very settled with Naughton plus two talls and Weightman, West and JJ in there. Be interesting to see how they go against better teams/defences but scoring doesn’t look like the problem, defensive weakness still likely to be an issue.

It was pure arrogance by the match committee to play Cody last night. Yes he's brave but he gave very little and was definitely still favouring his left arm.
Sweet started poorly but finished the game quite well. Tick
JUH Looked good. When he competes strongly he looks so dangerous. Tick
Schache is a slow burn, he seemed to compete far more strongly last night. Tick
Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunks after quarter time amazing Tick
Scott some really good strong tackles. He is taking the next step
West....This guy is a serious player. Get him and Flea around the pill and we are suddenly a potent forward line. Must improve his goalkicking though
Naughton Good solid game
JJ Defensive efforts first rate, his rundown on Jiath in 2nd quarter got us going.

Negatives
First quarter and the coaching. That quarter could have cost us hugely. Bevo and the MC need to stop with the project players and pick the best team.
McComb tries hard but is a liability. I would rather Jones who is different to this vanilla type of player. Unless he is tagging a particular player I see no reason to play him ahead of anyone. I also think Roarke would tag better.
The defence...Guys WTF? Dale's awareness at time is non-existent for a good player. Daniel flying for marks. TOB, Gards really treacle slow. Keath a stinker, Crozier going from gun to spud in two seasons, an area that really needs to be looked at.
Bailey Williams I read earlier that Schache is a mystery bag, well this guy does my head in. He has the build and skills to be a gun. But he's really just treading water.
Adam Treloar Poor game, looked to be ill or not quite right for the game, but his handballing is awful. He floats handballs and puts pressure on teammates with this facet of his game, his defensive pressure was non-existant last night. I'm guessing sick/injured.
Cody Weightman. Mate you shouldn't have played. You were a liability last night. Get the arm right and come back when ready.

As painful as Roaming Brian is, it was hilarious watching Macrae desperately trying to avoid BT at 01:16 and 3:00 respectively.

Bahahahahahaha.

That is a great post OG. I also like the bit with about 45 secs to go where he interviews a random bloke who’s just come to watch the game (and probably had about 10 beers) 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we only spent half a season with Zaine Cordy as our CHF, Mr. Beaning his way to 2 goals, and not a whole season.

Yeah, it’s a little frustrating seeing how the team has played the last couple of weeks. A few of those six losses could have played out differently.

That said, it’s only GWS and Hawthorn. Big tests to come in the next six weeks.

Oh,
While I'm at it. Early on in the Game Day thread I was going off my chops. I'm sure we all were.
The scoreline doesn't paper over the cracks. That first quarter and to an extent the last quarter were as bad as it can get.
We weren't playing Melbourne or Brisbane, this is a bottom 4 struggling team.
The coaching setup really concerns me, the selection concerns me and the reluctance to draft/trade for solid AFL defenders over the last few years concerns me.
Keath/OBrien yes are defenders but weren't top tier when traded for. TOB isn't anywhere near top tier.
We need to prioritise defenders in player movement ASAP.

There are obviously incidents like that where it’s friendly fire. I’m more concerned about the perception of the incident. It’s seen as great TV for a forward to obliterate a backman. A knee to the back of the head is spectacle. But if that happens in a centre stoppage, it’s an immediate free kick. Why the difference?

You can’t take away contested marking and the ability to protest yourself in the air or get elevation by using your knee.

As important as it is to protect the head and reduce the potential for concussion for the sake of its long term effects. At some point it needs to be remembered that this is a contact sport and when you choose to play a contact sport you accept an element of risk. Risk can not be completely eliminated. No one is forcing people to play football or do it as their career and by choosing to they accept the risk of injury including concussion. It’s the same as choosing to drive a car there is a risk and it can’t be completely eliminated. We can’t live in our own individual bubbles risk free. We make choices and those choices all come with risk

He laid a few good tackles which hasn’t normally been his strength
Badly beaten when Butler took a mark untouched and goaled in the last quarter. Scott went for the mark with a mistimed leap and was nowhere near it. Should have had body contact and spoiled instead.

In the wash up it didn’t matter, fortunately. It was only one incident and not his normal role but you’d expect a regular defender would have done better.

Badly beaten when Butler took a mark untouched and goaled in the last quarter. Scott went for the mark with a mistimed leap and was nowhere near it. Should have had body contact and spoiled instead.

In the wash up it didn’t matter, fortunately. It was only one incident and not his normal role but you’d expect a regular defender would have done better.
Yeah I noticed that one. Odd going for a mark on someone’s shoulders, which I’ve never seen him do before, rather than punch it

Yeah I noticed that one. Odd going for a mark on someone’s shoulders, which I’ve never seen him do before, rather than punch it
And from the replays you could see he had plenty of time to decide what to do and position himself, so no excuses.

It’ll be a good teaching moment when they run through the tape during the week.

Just checked the extended ladder and we’ll be the clear second best attack in terms of points for unless the Tigers post a huge score.

This is with a pretty ordinary structure for most weeks of the year. Naughton has done a huge job carrying us to this point. We just settle the back half down and our best footy can beat these better sides we’ll be playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back