MRP / Trib. Tom Stewart - Result 4 week match suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Pay that one.

I agree for Richmond fans its s**t to have one of your best taken out in an important game.

But that's exactly what ol' helmet hair cotchin did in 2017. GWS were in it up to their necks until that point. And the AFL let him play the next week 🤣
You’re an imbecile 😂😂😂

Pay that one.

I agree for Richmond fans its s**t to have one of your best taken out in an important game.

But that's exactly what ol' helmet hair cotchin did in 2017. GWS were in it up to their necks until that point. And the AFL let him play the next week 🤣
Except Shiel kept playing after that incident. A later marking contest caused his concussion.

Yes it would. It deserves a number of weeks. But its not the worst in a long time. He didnt punch him or lead with an elbow.

True the last geelong bloke to lead with an elbow got zero weeks

Except Shiel kept playing after that incident. A later marking contest caused his concussion.
John Candy Reaction GIF

Cameron got 5 weeks, deservedly, on Harris Andrews and that was a lot closer to contesting the ball than this one.

The big problem with this one for Stewart both in terms of the judiciary and public opinion, is there is no way of telling what he did apart from a player just deliberately trying to take out an opposition key player. If it was a brain fade, then as brain fades go it was right up there.

The AFL sent David McKay to the Tribunal with a recommendation for 3 weeks for contesting the ball fairly.

They sent Dangerfield to the tribunal with a recommendation for 3 weeks for his horrendous late bump on Kelly.

This will be a huge test of where the AFL sits on players causing concussion with a deliberate act. If things unfold as they should:

- Brad Scott should say I can have no part in this due to a clear conflict of interest.

- The MRO should refer it to the Tribunal with a request for the maximum possible penalty, so as not to cap the tribunal’s punishment. So the MRO or whoever stands in for Brad Scott whould ask for a remainder of season suspension. Then the tribunal should consider it on its merits. 4 weeks would be the absolute minimum you would think, and as many as 6-8 weeks in play.

The big problem with this one for Stewart both in terms of the judiciary and public opinion, is there is no way of telling what he did apart from a player just deliberately trying to take out an opposition key player. If it was a brain fade, then as brain fades go it was right up there.

The AFL sent David McKay to the Tribunal with a recommendation for 3 weeks for contesting the ball fairly.

They sent Dangerfield to the tribunal with a recommendation for 3 weeks for his horrendous late bump on Kelly.

This will be a huge test of where the AFL sits on players causing concussion with a deliberate act. If things unfold as they should:

- Brad Scott should say I can have no part in this due to a clear conflict of interest.

- The MRO should refer it to the Tribunal with a request for the maximum possible penalty, so as not to cap the tribunal’s punishment. So the MRO or whoever stands in for Brad Scott whould ask for a remainder of season suspension. Then the tribunal should consider it on its merits. 4 weeks would be the absolute minimum you would think, and as many as 6-8 weeks in play.
6-8 weeks would be completely inconsistent with all other incidences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6-8 weeks would be completely inconsistent with all other incidences.

Can you recall one like this in recent years?

Not sure I can. Most others even actions where you think that is pretty unsound you could see what the player might have been trying to do. This one you cannot see what Stewart could have been trying to do that would be legitimate.

Can you recall one like this in recent years?

Not sure I can. Most others even actions where you think that is pretty unsound you could see what the player might have been trying to do. This one you cannot see what Stewart could have been trying to do that would be legitimate.
Gaff got 8 for his hit on Brayshaw
Solomon 8 when he broke Ling’s jaw
Jonas 6 for his horrendous elbow on an eagles player a few years back

This doesn’t come close to those. You don’t get to add 2 weeks just because it happened to a Richmond player.

Why should Brad Scott have no part?

He has a clear conflict of interest. It is pretty simple.
Former Richmond player Emmitt Dunne sat on the tribunal for 20 years and then joined the Richmond board in 2017.

I am sure you were fine with him making decisions on suspensions for 20 years.

There is no such thing as a person in footy who isn’t conflicted in some way, shape or form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back