List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent the weekend away in the high country with some old golfing buddies. One of the boys brought his mate along who just happens to be a player and coach agent. He was given the heads up on me that I'll ask a million questions and I was told very early on that he won't be telling me anything about his clients.
He was good bloke, a very dry sense of humour but wasn't really willing to engage much in conversation with the rest of us.

What he did mention was that the player agent industry is very tight and most of them know each other very well. A lot of it's not personal it's just business style of working where they try and poach each others clients and staff but can catch up over a beer and have a laugh often.

I couldn't help myself and asked if he was able to confirm/clarify anything that is/isn't well known. I fired off player names and he responded with either no comment or I can't answer that. He did however, humour me with the below which are mostly reserves players.
  • Patty Dow's agent is talking with rival clubs. There is interest in him.
  • Philp is having surgery on his foot this week. It needed time to heal a bit before surgery. Clubs are waiting to see how it heals because there is a list interested in him.
  • Parks has the same injury as Philp but he expects him to be delisted.
  • Expects OMac to be retained, Carlton would want return for investment. If delisted he wouldn't get picked up by anyone else.
  • Thinks we've been cruelled by injuries and carrying too many LTI type players.
  • Whilst we have the likes of Newnes, Hayes and Plowman in our starting 22, we won't ever be serious premiership contenders.
I pressed for more but was shut down by my mate. Not much more than what we already knew/assumed.

Spent the weekend away in the high country with some old golfing buddies. One of the boys brought his mate along who just happens to be a player and coach agent. He was given the heads up on me that I'll ask a million questions and I was told very early on that he won't be telling me anything about his clients.
He was good bloke, a very dry sense of humour but wasn't really willing to engage much in conversation with the rest of us.

What he did mention was that the player agent industry is very tight and most of them know each other very well. A lot of it's not personal it's just business style of working where they try and poach each others clients and staff but can catch up over a beer and have a laugh often.

I couldn't help myself and asked if he was able to confirm/clarify anything that is/isn't well known. I fired off player names and he responded with either no comment or I can't answer that. He did however, humour me with the below which are mostly reserves players.
  • Philp is having surgery on his foot this week. It needed time to heal a bit before surgery. Clubs are waiting to see how it heals because there is a list interested in him.
  • Expects OMac to be retained, Carlton would want return for investment. If delisted he wouldn't get picked up by anyone else.
  • Thinks we've been cruelled by injuries and carrying too many LTI type players.
  • Whilst we have the likes of Newnes, Hayes and Plowman in our starting 22, we won't ever be serious premiership contenders.
I pressed for more but was shut down by my mate. Not much more than what we already knew/assumed.
I don't see OMac being retained, need to free up some list spots with fresh less injury prone talent.
Cannot keep Omac McGovern and Marchbank on the list next year, the other two are likely to get one more year on the basis of being so talented.

Thanks Les Grossman playaaaa. My thoughts on each of your points below.

I am not at all surprised by this. Dow has deficiencies in his game but he can play and I remain confident he will be a player at senior level.

Am glad he is contracted. We may very well move him on, but it will be on our terms.

Contracted through to the end of next season. We'd be mad to entertain the thought of moving him on beforehand, unless we're concerned his body won't hold up.

Has so much talent, but has had an awful run at it to date.

Think he will be delisted as well, but maybe a little harsh. Doesn't have many if any standout qualities to his game but I think the guy can play.

OMac should be retained if we're confident he can get his body right. Can play a role at either end of the park and we should not forget he was Voss' preferred option alongside Weitering earlier this year.

If there's a reasonable level of doubt though as to whether he can get his body right, he should be moved on, which ties into your point below.
Yes. 1000 x yes.

We have a few on the list who sadly just can't get their bodies right. And whilst they may be nice guys and good players when fit, we just cannot afford to carry them on the list year after year for no return.

OMac. Cuningham. Marchbank. McGovern. Philp. Martin. It's just too many particularly with squad sizes having been reduced.

We'll all have our preferences regarding which of the above should stay and which should go but I think the bottom line is we just can't keep them all. North Melbourne made that mistake about a decade ago and it contributed to their current predicament. Of course - we're far better off than North were so it may not impact to the same extent.

I think this is far too simplistic and I'm surprised a player manager has said that. Every year there are bog ordinary footballers who contribute to premiership success. None of these three are great, but there have been many, many worse...

I really think our list is at the point of adding a few older players from other clubs coming to end of there career but can lift us up to the Geelong Melbourne Brisbane teams
Players like Gaff,breust, J McGovern, yeo
And like old mate while Players like newnes Plowman are still getting regular games we are not getting close to a flag

Sounds like it's happening.
Highly unlikely Omac will be retained on our list next year, the list still needs some improvement and cannot carry 4-6 players who are constantly injured.
Would rather go to the draft this year and get some young talent as we have probably given away draft picks the last two years.

Highly unlikely Omac will be retained on our list next year, the list still needs some improvement and cannot carry 4-6 players who are constantly injured.
Would rather go to the draft this year and get some young talent as we have probably given away draft picks the last two years.

OMac is on the rookie list though. I don't see how keeping him there next year in any way prevents us from bringing young talent through the door.

Just can't carry OMac, Marchy and MM anymore, unless we are going to fill our list with more depth which robs our list of depth in other areas.

Charlie and Harry are 25 and approaching 25. Who are our young, developing talls under them? TDK yeah but what is he?

We need a true swing man type who is durable.

I like MM and what he brings to the defence but I'm probably more wary of the soft tissue injuries than the structural injuries of the other 2. Having said that, our time is now, and I'd gladly give up our 1st rounder for 2-3 seasons of Jeremy McGovern.

Fortune favours the brave.

Last edited:
Just can't carry OMac, Marchy and MM anymore, unless we are going to fill our list with more depth which robs our list of depth in other areas.

Charlie and Harry are 25 and approaching 25. Who are our young, developing talls under them? TDK yeah but what is he?

We need a true swing man type who is durable.

I like MM and what he brings to the defence but I'm probably more wary of the soft tissue injuries than the structural injuries of the other 2. Having said that, our time is now, and I'd gladly give up our 1st rounder for 2-3 seasons of Jeremy McGovern.

Fortunate favours the brave.

Sign me up for a second rounder...first I struggle with

I think this is far too simplistic and I'm surprised a player manager has said that. Every year there are bog ordinary footballers who contribute to premiership success. None of these three are great, but there have been many, many worse...

Spot on.

Every club needs their 23 to 30 (or so) ranked players.

Some of them will play 15+ games.

It doesn't mean you want them in your best 22 come finals but their role is significant.

Happy to have these types on the list who are capable of performing a role and doing the hard yards throughout the season.

Entire seasons can hinge on having these types. We'd be ****ed without them this year yet I doubt anyone truly has more than one of them in our best 22 if everyone is healthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been on the receiving end of injury-prone players at a trade/cost discount. Pros at the time were that these had decent talent/potential. Hope Austin stays away from any players who are injury-prone as there's no point in having any talent if you can't get on the park.

Marchy and McG safe for me. Nothing out there with that talent and we have enough C graders on the list already...

Agree with the main point from the player agent discussion earlier about not winning a flag with certain players in the side. All teams are only as good as their bottom 6 players. The top of the list looks after itself when you're a contender but the bottom 6 is where you make the difference.

Adding in Marchy, McG, Williams and Martin to the current team means we are only 1 quality wingman away from a serious threat...

We need to stop being sentimental about players and realise the window is now open and we have to get ruthless with our starting 22...

McG. Young Doc
Saad Weiters Marchy
Stocks Walsh ****
Charlie Harry JSOS
Durdin DeK Mots

Pitts Cripps Cerra

Hewett Cunningham Fisher Kemp

McG. Young Doc
Saad Weiters Marchy
Stocks Walsh ****
Charlie Harry JSOS
Durdin DeK Mots

Pitts Cripps Cerra

Hewett Cunningham Fisher Kemp
Interesting having 10 talls in your best 22. Also, Stocker currently doesn't have the tank to be a midfielder in the VFL, why would he be a winger?

Agree with the main point from the player agent discussion earlier about not winning a flag with certain players in the side. All teams are only as good as their bottom 6 players. The top of the list looks after itself when you're a contender but the bottom 6 is where you make the difference.

Adding in Marchy, McG, Williams and Martin to the current team means we are only 1 quality wingman away from a serious threat...

We need to stop being sentimental about players and realise the window is now open and we have to get ruthless with our starting 22...

The agent is arguing both sides of the coin if he gave those specific examples.

1. We've been smashed by injury

2. You can't win a premiership with those players in the best 22.

Only Newnes would arguably be in our best 22. We've already identified wing as our primary best 22 need.

But Plow and Hayes are depth options at best.

If McGovern or Marchbank were healthy both would be in over Plow.

If Zac Williams was healthy he'd be in over Hayes.

We need a best 22 caliber winger and for our best 22 to be on the park.

Then the foot soldiers can be appreciated as those at the top clubs consistently are.

Interesting having 10 talls in your best 22. Also, Stocker currently doesn't have the tank to be a midfielder in the VFL, why would he be a winger?

Some talls can play smaller but I like having more talls in the side.

Stocker is a must play, I don't care where you have him. Build the tank if you have to but his aggression wins flags. We simply don't have another player with his skill set and mongrel.

I'm a huge fan and so are a few others!

0101EC2C-F2CF-431E-A9BC-94F409909228.jpeg

We'd be mad to entertain the thought of moving him on beforehand, unless we're concerned his body won't hold up.
with the greatest respect, we are carlton? our mission statement has always been

LTI

More importantly, how did you play??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back