List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any truth to this, anyone??

As I wasn't at the ground, its difficult to respond to this as usually it's the off the ball running/positioning that I like to watch and I would usually have a definite response to this.
Across the last couple of years, I have regularly noted newbies or non- regulars regularly are overlooked when in better position. Remember one glaring one at half forward, think may have been either George or Martin badly burned a loose Boyd for a low percentage ping. Bloody disappointing when we bring in good users and don’t take advantage. Our defensive unit seems far less selective at spreading to obvious targets than our mids do.

I really hope we are professional enough to take the best options. I have been a bit over Crippa over using Fish over the last few years when better options were available (for example) Don’t get me started on our utilising of forward options. We are improving marginally, but too slowly at using smaller, “lesser” targets over predictable H or Charlie or bomb it. We are way too easy to defend. The Cats have a maturity to trust their mates, confidence produces superior disposal. Players second guessing options, let alone skills make errors.

I thought the Freo win was our best for the year. Injury ravaged, but our mindset was team first, second and third. We have debated O’Brien’s combatability and willingness to go. He and others in that game were instinctive. I was hopeful it was a coming of age, but we reverted once more. Overcoming hesitation is as much about confidence and “belonging” as it is courage with so many people.

I have always had a dislike of the “players need 50 games under their belt” mantra. It is considerably more about belonging and creating synergy than games played. Walshy integrated in “5 minutes”. Owies took years to arrive through the VFL, when he became a staple at that level he was used by team mates. Both Durdin and Motlop were relatively underwhelming at VFL level before promotion. Their pressure could be measured, but Durds in particular was burned repeatedly by his state league “buddies” while we were Crocker-centric.

Getting back to Stocker, playing last line in the VFL guaranteed connection, would it be the same if played higher up the ground? It may also explain why Kemp looks more defender than forward. So many elements to the dynamic at both levels.

Any truth to this, anyone??

As I wasn't at the ground, its difficult to respond to this as usually it's the off the ball running/positioning that I like to watch and I would usually have a definite response to this.
I was at the game and did not notice this once. Stocker played fairly deep for a fair portion of the game on Rohan.

If marchbank could stay fit he could be a tall winger potentially, apparently has hreat indurance, meaning McGovern actually being on the park or prehaps kemp as the third tall

Just my opinion, but I see all of the rest as either depth type or delist... I can see the attraction in naming players like Cerra or Walsh on wings, but it seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul... Brisbane: McCluggage and Berry; Geelong: Smith and Duncan; Adelaide: Dawson and Seedsman; and one could look at any number of other sides... And we have...
Interestingly this year apparently Duncan has played a lot at HB, Smith has been playing HF. Nearly every really good game McLuggage plays he is more a midfielder. Dawson has been playing HBF this year too.

it’s a tough role. Our wingman seem to be playing very basic roles where they will never really shine but will also cop flak as it it being filled by C grade footballers who we will get angry at for doing nothing of note offensively even though that is probably a very miner part of their role. As long as they are working hard defensively I’m not sure they are really going to influence games a hell of a lot anyway.
LOB is the frustrating one because he has abit of class but being so poor under pressure probably outdoes any of his positive strengths.

Interestingly this year apparently Duncan has played a lot at HB, Smith has been playing HF. Nearly every really good game McLuggage plays he is more a midfielder. Dawson has been playing HBF this year too.

it’s a tough role. Our wingman seem to be playing very basic roles where they will never really shine but will also cop flak as it it being filled by C grade footballers who we will get angry at for doing nothing of note offensively even though that is probably a very miner part of their role. As long as they are working hard defensively I’m not sure they are really going to influence games a hell of a lot anyway.
LOB is the frustrating one because he has abit of class but being so poor under pressure probably outdoes any of his positive strengths.

I think most clubs are encouraging their wingers to hold width and play pretty defensively. It is really not being used as an offensive role anymore by most clubs. I suspect that is why guys McLuggage, Smith and Duncan aren't playing there much as it would be a waste of their talents. Same reason Voss won't put Walsh or Cerra there for us.

I think most clubs are encouraging their wingers to hold width and play pretty defensively. It is really not being used as an offensive role anymore by most clubs. I suspect that is why guys McLuggage, Smith and Duncan aren't playing there much as it would be a waste of their talents. Same reason Voss won't put Walsh or Cerra there for us.

Except for Geelong!

Yep exactly. You can’t have a huge game playing the role our wings are. Sure they can be better but guys like Langdon are bloody rare

I was at the game and did not notice this once. Stocker played fairly deep for a fair portion of the game on Rohan.

Reckon this is the kind of claim that really should be backed up with vision.

Lots of details I'd like to know before making any kind of judgement as well.

How many times did it happen?
Did the player see him and ignore him or did they simply have tunnel vision?
Which player(s) were guilty of it?
Was Stocker actually the best option?

If marchbank could stay fit he could be a tall winger potentially, apparently has hreat indurance, meaning McGovern actually being on the park or prehaps kemp as the third tall
Yep, was spruiked a while ago. I want a fit Marchy and Kemp in the side. Peak McGovern is excellent, but expecting the inevitable soft tissue injury to hit again. With salary cap issues coming, we can’t afford his recurring issues. Marchbank has struggled with injury too, but I am more optimistic of him getting over injuries to joints and spine than chronic Hamite’s due to poor preparation.

I can’t get a read what our intentions are regarding Cuningham. He was looking like finally cementing a top 22 spot before doing the knee. Experiencing complications of soft tissue dramas post surgery. Rumoured to be frustrated with the club during rehab. We have added a few other options in the last couple of years, so it will be interesting if the club is still keen to back his potential. Likely would cop a pay cut as well, like a couple of others.

Personally think Doc will find his way back on the wing once Williams is back in the side.

Backline mix would be 3 talls (1 marking interceptor), 2 running half backs, 1 lockdown small

Saad, Williams and Doc don't really all fit without one of them being wasted, and Doc had the best tank and mark out of the three. The lockdown role is better left to a Newman or Stocker type.

Personally think Doc will find his way back on the wing once Williams is back in the side.

Backline mix would be 3 talls (1 marking interceptor), 2 running half backs, 1 lockdown small

Saad, Williams and Doc don't really all fit without one of them being wasted, and Doc had the best tank and mark out of the three. The lockdown role is better left to a Newman or Stocker type.

Makes sense to me.

Doc starts on a wing and drops back as the loose 7th defender when we've got the ball in our half.

Walsh starts at HF and presses straight up to the midfield to give us another number there.

Leaves the forward line just that little more open unless the oppo want to send Doc's original man to their own backline as a loose player as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle have lost the plot, they have tunnel vision for Jackson and at a great cost...

Likely gone to fit Jackson in...
Lobb - Bulldogs.
Logue - ?
Acres - 1 year deal.

I'd be a buyer
Logue - FA
Acres - Potential Dow pick

Then
Sholl - Jones pick

Clear cap space with Dow, Setterfield, Jones, E.Curnow, Williamson

We would get 2x wingers (AFL level) and 1x 3rd Tall Swingman, without using any of our draft picks...
Then go to the draft...

Fremantle have lost the plot, they have tunnel vision for Jackson and at a great cost...

Lobb - Bulldogs.
Logue - ?
Acres - 1 year deal.

I'd be a buyer
Logue - FA

Then
Sholl - Jones pick

We would get 2x wingers (AFL level) and 1x 3rd Tall Swingman, without using any of our draft picks...
Then go to the draft...
Sounds great in theory, don't see it happening though.

For a start can see the AFL giving us SFA for Jones. Edit: just read the rumour. Good news if so.

How about Logue then? Would go very well I think.

Last edited:

Lobb - Bulldogs.
Logue - ?
Acres - 1 year deal.

I'd be a buyer
Logue - FA

Then
Sholl - Jones pick

Then go to the draft...

Like it.

Not convinced Acres moves, think it's just some negotiation-via-media from club and player manager. But maybe a 3-year deal on less money tempts him more than a 1-2 year deal at Freo and then another negotiation.

Logue would be a great get. Ideal third tall swingman, can pinch hit as a KPP.

Sholl should be a day one deal, easy as.

Draft KPP talent and classy users on any line.

I’m not sure how Austin does it but please fix our wing issue and lm not convinced by Young if he is going punch when he is nervous as the finals are pressure based.

Find us a hard nut KPDer. We lack a little toughness back there.

Watched Plowman play a little bit the spare man defender Vs Geelong. Saw him pointing all over the place. But cmon. Our free man picking up a lousy 10 possessions and close to zero impact. Please Marchy or McGovern get back. Or play Durdin and young as holding defenders and release Weitering as the Marshall of defence.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein.

We never had a 'wing problem' until about six months ago, but we've had a lack of explosive outside players for years. We lack certain players because we never drafted them and relied too heavily on 'plug-in' types because they couldn't develop quick enough. Now we are expecting Austin to work miracles and find three key players (we probably need more) with close to b-all trade currency. Lets face it, we need to do the best with basically what we have until this year's and next year's draftees develop, and let's not pick robotically by selecting the Bigfooty consensus player in order of greatest need. That won't work, either.

Andrew Gaff

He's a gun player, a gun wingman playing in a poor side. He's 30 years old.

Looking at Geelong and Isaac Smith. Came to the Cats at 31. He's 33 and still one of the best wingmen around. He could well end up being a premiership wingman this year.

IMO Gaff to Carlton is something we really need to ask the question about.

Gives us an elite wingman for at least 3 years, depending on how long he lasts really. He'd be a better player in our team than theirs, no doubt in our midfield he fits like a glove and his experience is invaluable.

It also gives us three years to go out and find or develop another winger. While Gaff is playing good footy in the AFL taking the defensive winger each week we can have a Carroll, O'Brien or Cottrell or Sholl should we recruit him on the other wing or developing in the twos for a year or two.

I'm surprised his name has not come up more, IMO he's an ideal fit for Carlton. I think his experience and knowledge on how to play the wing would be invaluable as would his ability to play.

I am guessing WCE's asking price might be too high or they may be unwilling to do a deal but someone like that would be good if they could be obtained.

From that article on the AFL website. This kid from Collingwood. Wingman 3 seasons in stuck behind Sidebottom etal. Anyone have a line of sight on him. Would fit the mould nicely if any good.

The South Australian made a splash in his debut season, managing 11 eye-catching appearances after arriving via pick No. 30, but season two has been much more difficult for Poulter. Craig McRae has only picked him in the 23 once – round nine against the Western Bulldogs – despite sustained form at VFL level. The return to form by Steele Sidebottom and the return of Josh Daicos to a wing has restricted the amount of opportunities the out-of-contract wingman has received. Clearly still has a bright future in the game, but will be hoping for much more opportunity in 2023. - Josh Gabelich

Andrew Gaff

Looking at Geelong and Isaac Smith. Came to the Cats at 31. He's 33 and still one of the best wingmen around. He could well end up being a premiership wingman this year.

Gives us an elite wingman for at least 3 years, depending on how long he lasts really. He'd be a better player in our team than theirs, no doubt in our midfield he fits like a glove and his experience is invaluable.

It also gives us three years to go out and find or develop another winger. While Gaff is playing good footy in the AFL taking the defensive winger each week we can have a Carroll, O'Brien or Cottrell or Sholl should we recruit him on the other wing or developing in the twos for a year or two.

I'm surprised his name has not come up more, IMO he's an ideal fit for Carlton. I think his experience and knowledge on how to play the wing would be invaluable as would his ability to play.

I am guessing WCE's asking price might be too high or they may be unwilling to do a deal but someone like that would be good if they could be obtained.
Don't mind this either for a sensible price.

Andrew Gaff

He is apparently on close to $1mil per year. I don’t know how we could ever work out a way to make it work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back