List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Williams would be a gun wingman if he could get fitter and inject a bit of cee ment into those veins..

As in not get bloody injured at the drop of a hat..

A lot of injury not his fault I know but he could’ve definitely been fitter since wearing the Navy Blue- That is something he CAN control…

Thoughts ?

I reckon Williams would be a gun wingman if he could get fitter and inject a bit of cee ment into those veins..

As in not get bloody injured at the drop of a hat..

A lot of injury not his fault I know but he could’ve definitely been fitter since wearing the Navy Blue- That is something he CAN control…

Thoughts ?
Yep, I've been saying this for a while. We need to find out if Williams has the scope to be a winger this preseason.

Our current players who could be considered as playing on the Wings are: LOB, Cottrell, Newnes and Setterfield, with potential in Carroll, Philp and Hayes. Is that correct? If so, whilst I love what Cottrell has done, overall consistency of Newnes, and potential of Carroll and Philp, there still seems a big gap here from what we have to what we need.

Our current players who could be considered as playing on the Wings are: LOB, Cottrell, Newnes and Setterfield, with potential in Carroll, Philp and Hayes. Is that correct? If so, whilst I love what Cottrell has done, overall consistency of Newnes, and potential of Carroll and Philp, there still seems a big gap here from what we have to what we need.
Carroll and Philp aren't wingers

Carroll and Philp aren't wingers
Just my opinion, but I see all of the rest as either depth type or delist... I can see the attraction in naming players like Cerra or Walsh on wings, but it seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul... Brisbane: McCluggage and Berry; Geelong: Smith and Duncan; Adelaide: Dawson and Seedsman; and one could look at any number of other sides... And we have...

Marchbank and Cuningham will be interesting. Both are concerning in terms of their injury history, but the light at the end of the tunnel seems closer in relation to Marchy than Cuningham. Both will be 27 next year and within neither yet to hit 50 games due to their respective bodies. If they are going to be retained then it would have to be on the basis that both are best 22 - keeping perennially injured players on the list as depth is pointless. If we can only choose one then recency bias would have me opt for Marchbank.

Problem with our always injured players McGovern, Cuningham, Marchbank, Martin & Williams...
Is they're some of the most talented players on our list, would be devastating letting them go then they come good...

Think we will hope that Russell can pull a rabbit out of the bag and give them another year at least...

Marchy and McG safe for me. Nothing out there with that talent and we have enough C graders on the list already...

Agree with the main point from the player agent discussion earlier about not winning a flag with certain players in the side. All teams are only as good as their bottom 6 players. The top of the list looks after itself when you're a contender but the bottom 6 is where you make the difference.

Adding in Marchy, McG, Williams and Martin to the current team means we are only 1 quality wingman away from a serious threat...

We need to stop being sentimental about players and realise the window is now open and we have to get ruthless with our starting 22...

McG. Young Doc
Saad Weiters Marchy
Stocks Walsh ****
Charlie Harry JSOS
Durdin DeK Mots

Pitts Cripps Cerra

Hewett Cunningham Fisher Kemp

I doubt playing Stocker on a wing is the best use of his abilities as he was a very good inside midfielder as a junior and I really hope that we get him training as a midfielder in the pre season with a view to playing him in the midfield rotation more next year.

That said as we saw again on the weekend the wings are a massive concern and there are major question marks for differing reasons over the capacity of all of Cotts, Newnes, LOB, Hayes and Setts to be effective long term options. (FWIW I think Cotts is the most likely of the group to make it).

Aside from persevering with those gents we do have options however, such as
1. recasting Walsh and/or Cerra in that role like the Dees did with Brayshaw for an immediate fix
2. a longer term less certain option would be to groom Carroll or Kemp to play wing
3. trade for a winger from another club (most likely someone cheap like Lachie Sholl or Dylan Stephens as we wouldn’t be able to afford an elite winger like Amon)

Personally I’m more and more leaning towards option 1 as Walsh and Cerra seem to be the most obvious fit to play wing based on running capacity, footskills and football nous.

I know a few have also suggested Doc, Saad or Williams but I believe we are better served leaving them down back as they have so much experience now playing in that part of the ground.

Also, as a few others have said, a forward line of Sos, TDK, Harry and Charlie is too tall.

I doubt playing Stocker on a wing is the best use of his abilities as he was a very good inside midfielder as a junior and I really hope that we get him training as a midfielder in the pre season with a view to playing him in the midfield rotation more next year.

That said as we saw again on the weekend the wings are a massive concern and there are major question marks for differing reasons over the capacity of all of Cotts, Newnes, LOB, Hayes and Setts to be effective long term options. (FWIW I think Cotts is the most likely of the group to make it).

1. recasting Walsh and/or Cerra in that role like the Dees did with Brayshaw for an immediate fix
2. a longer term less certain option would be to groom Carroll or Kemp to play wing
3. trade for a winger from another club (most likely someone cheap like Lachie Sholl or Dylan Stephens as we wouldn’t be able to afford an elite winger like Amon)

Personally I’m more and more leaning towards option 1 as Walsh and Cerra seem to be the most obvious fit to play wing based on running capacity, footskills and football nous.

I know a few have also suggested Doc, Saad or Williams but I believe we are better served leaving them down back as they have so much experience now playing in that part of the ground.

Also, as a few others have said, a forward line of Sos, TDK, Harry and Charlie is too tall.

Not too tall if 1 of them is on the bench at any given time

This picking players in position on a sheet a paper has always annoyed me, as people like to start their argument form that point of view…

Having said that, I don’t care if Stocks starts on the wing and then goes in the middle or starts on the pine. I don’t care if DeK starts on the bench or back pocket, for me it’s a squad game and that’s where the starting point should be…

Last edited:
Just can't carry OMac, Marchy and MM anymore, unless we are going to fill our list with more depth which robs our list of depth in other areas.

Charlie and Harry are 25 and approaching 25. Who are our young, developing talls under them? TDK yeah but what is he?

We need a true swing man type who is durable.

I give you.....JSOS.

Pump a full preseason of backline work into him.

Recruit a depth KPF/ruck to play ressies.
Pitto as primary ruck.
McKay at FF.
TDK the second KPF/ruck relief.
Charlie the third tall with license to roam a bit.

JSOS as the third defender, with the ability to swing forward if needed.

I'm kinda wondering if we could fashion a single winger from multiple part-timers already in the 22. Best performing from Cottrell, LOB and Sholl* on one wing, then rotate Fisher, Charlie, Walsh, Cerra, Martin etc. through the other. 20% game time there each, so not a huge issue that guys like Fisher and Martin lack the tank to play there full time. Would potentially challenge the oppo defensive wing if they're going from matching up on Fisher at one centre bounce to Charlie at the next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If McGovern and March were both fit which one is better suited to intercept marking role ?

I think McGovern might be better aerially but both pretty much equal in most other respects?
I think McGovern is faster and a better kick Marchbank more natural defender better spoil equal marking not much between them

I really think our list is at the point of adding a few older players from other clubs coming to end of there career but can lift us up to the Geelong Melbourne Brisbane teams
Players like Gaff,breust, J McGovern, yeo
And like old mate while Players like newnes Plowman are still getting regular games we are not getting close to a flag
Gaff is incredibly overrated imo

Interesting having 10 talls in your best 22. Also, Stocker currently doesn't have the tank to be a midfielder in the VFL, why would he be a winger?
teammates were avoiding kicking it to Stocker even when he made good position, did anyone else notice this on Saturday night?
I think they don't trust his usage

Last edited:
Dr
Our current players who could be considered as playing on the Wings are: LOB, Cottrell, Newnes and Setterfield, with potential in Carroll, Philp and Hayes. Is that correct? If so, whilst I love what Cottrell has done, overall consistency of Newnes, and potential of Carroll and Philp, there s

I think the dropping of LOB by Voss was the last straw for him, I doubt Voss values a player who throws their arms up in the air and coughs it up when there's a sniff of a contest

Dr

I think the dropping of LOB by Voss was the last straw for him, I doubt Voss values a player who throws their arms up in the air and coughs it up when there's a sniff of a contest

I agree it doesn’t bode well for his future as its the second time LOB has been dropped this year so surely the “go back and work on xyz…” conversation has already well and truly been had by now.

Just can't carry OMac, Marchy and MM anymore, unless we are going to fill our list with more depth which robs our list of depth in other areas.

Charlie and Harry are 25 and approaching 25. Who are our young, developing talls under them? TDK yeah but what is he?

We need a true swing man type who is durable.

I like MM and what he brings to the defence but I'm probably more wary of the soft tissue injuries than the structural injuries of the other 2. Having said that, our time is now, and I'd gladly give up our 1st rounder for 2-3 seasons of Jeremy McGovern.

Fortune favours the brave.
Agree, except the J McGovern part.

Seriously though, where are we going to get the next Weiters, McKay, Curnow, or TDK? It can only be the draft. Imagine a young swingman that can play forward or back at a high level. Even if it takes a year or two, would be soooo worth having. SDK on our team and not theirs on Saturday night would have gone a long way to swinging that result. Or, how good would Balta be at our club right now? These guys both available late first/early second round too, but we had to have more mids (two rather unfortunate whipping boys and two now firmly in the "hope he comes good" zone). 😭

Anyway, can't fix that now, but... Our time is now, for biting of bullets that is. Choose which two of OMac, MMc, Durdin and Marchy stay, in consideration of medical prognosis, and let's go to the draft. One more year for those guys just in case they come good is just wishful thinking. That's where we were last year for 3 of them, and it backfired to the extent that the 4th guy arrived. Nothing against any of them at all, but must move forward with a plan, not a wish.

Of course, should another L Jones or L young drop into our laps for not much, I would gladly accept🤑, but it should be as well as, not instead of, a draftee.

Sure our wings are also not ideal ATM, but I'm happy to back Cotters down one side and Cerra/Walsh the other. MAYBE LOB comes good too🤞. Otherwise Campo twins in 2 years perhaps (but one way or the other, it's GOT to be a problem far easier to solve than how to cover multiple KPPs that consistently sit on the sidelines (throwing the likes of Cripps into the ruck, no less). 😬

Starting to agree that 7 or 8 list changes are in order at end of the year this year. Another year of in: Hewett and Young, out: not much, but this time with the better draft picks wisely spent on best available at the draft, would help enormously. Not just next year, but years into the future. Were we to throw a pile of cash at a Gaff type, I'd be angry. 😡

I agree it doesn’t bode well for his future as its the second time LOB has been dropped this year so surely the “go back and work on xyz…” conversation has already well and truly been had by now.
I should have added I really hope that’s not the case!

teammates were avoiding kicking it to Stocker even when he made good position, did anyone else notice this on Saturday night?
I think they don't trust his usage

Any truth to this, anyone??

As I wasn't at the ground, its difficult to respond to this as usually it's the off the ball running/positioning that I like to watch and I would usually have a definite response to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back