West Coast - time for a rebuild?

How is Eddie Betts remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s going to be a tough and long rebuild for West Coast. They have no quality kids coming through. It’s a really really poor list. I cannot even think of one decent youngster they have coming through. Many pending retirements of older heads, broken down bodies like Shuey, Nic Nat, Kennedy will retire. Patrick simply isn’t that effective in a poor team. McGovern is getting on. This is a bad bad list. And the pain hasnt even started. Eagles are in for a decade of pain and suffering.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Really think there should be a distinction made between "really, really poor list" and one that has hit a wall after trying to eek out a second run. The list hasn't been built poorly, it was just built some time ago.

Also, in terms of kids coming through, every club has one "decent" younger player. If you cannot find them, that's on you.

Really think there should be a distinction made between "really, really poor list" and one that has hit a wall after trying to eek out a second run. The list hasn't been built poorly, it was just built some time ago.

Also, in terms of kids coming through, every club has one "decent" younger player. If you cannot find them, that's on you.

The price you pay of going to the well too many times is that it doesn’t afford many opportunities to bring in youth required to be competitive once the stars retire. It’s a problem St Kilda had after 2011-12. During that time there was either a window to make one last run, or an opportunity to offload blokes at their highest value after having good seasons. It’s interesting watching teams like Geelong get the balance right, after having a successful period throughout the past 15 years.

It’s going to be a tough and long rebuild for West Coast. They have no quality kids coming through. It’s a really really poor list. I cannot even think of one decent youngster they have coming through. Many pending retirements of older heads, broken down bodies like Shuey, Nic Nat, Kennedy will retire. Patrick simply isn’t that effective in a poor team. McGovern is getting on. This is a bad bad list. And the pain hasnt even started. Eagles are in for a decade of pain and suffering.

This kids is how you say "I have NFI about another team's list" without saying it directly.

Anyone saying you're in for a decade of suffering is just projecting the mismanagement of other clubs on to yours. Taking 10 years to rebuild is an absolute indictment.

West Coast have never spent more than 3 consecutive years outside of the 8, and even with a bit of strife at the top end of the age bracket I can't see it happening now. Go back to the well, really nail Pick 1 or Pick 2, get Allen, Sheed and Yeo fit and you could be back competing while some of the older guys still have football left.

Anyone saying you're in for a decade of suffering is just projecting the mismanagement of other clubs on to yours. Taking 10 years to rebuild is an absolute indictment.

West Coast have never spent more than 3 consecutive years outside of the 8, and even with a bit of strife at the top end of the age bracket I can't see it happening now. Go back to the well, really nail Pick 1 or Pick 2, get Allen, Sheed and Yeo fit and you could be back competing while some of the older guys still have football left.
Yep, It's the clubs that take 10+ years that help clubs like WC return quicker.

West Coast Eagles were born from struggle, it is in their DNA. You only need to read their beginnings to understand this. They have gone on to play in the most finals of the modern era, according to their history they have played in the most finals than any other team.
Not a bad resume to have for a footy club that travels the most flight hours than any other footy team in the comp.
As a supporter of footy (and not just your team) this is to be admired. We will bounce back, and quickly, it is already happening. We will be playing finals within the next 3 years......and contending. Bookmark it.

West Coast Eagles were born from struggle, it is in their DNA. You only need to read their beginnings to understand this. They have gone on to play in the most finals of the modern era, according to their history they have played in the most finals than any other team.
Not a bad resume to have for a footy club that travels the most flight hours than any other footy team in the comp.
As a supporter of footy (and not just your team) this is to be admired. We will bounce back, and quickly, it is already happening. We will be playing finals within the next 3 years......and contending. Bookmark it.
You needed to bring up flying?

The rest of what you said, kinda makes flying look like it has no consequence.

But it's a WC thing, so you go full WC.

This is the dumbest thing I've read so far today, and that's saying something!

You needed to bring up flying?

The rest of what you said, kinda makes flying look like it has no consequence.

But it's a WC thing, so you go full WC.
God i love a disgruntled Collingwood supporter (Maynard was blocked;))
This is the dumbest thing I've read so far today, and that's saying something!
That's OK, you can rest in the knowledge that you can polish your ......Oh, hang on, you don't have one yet.

God i love a disgruntled Collingwood supporter (Maynard was blocked;))

That's OK, you can rest in the knowledge that you can polish your ......Oh, hang on, you don't have one yet.
Re-read what you scribed, and then get back to me. If you can't determine your blunder, don't bother.

I think there is slowly some positive signs.

The main turnaround I believe will be to get a full pre season into as many guys as possible without new injuries.

The surface in WA is an issue I dont think many have looked into also. Lower leg issues have been happening since we moved to the new facilities.

I hope we can at least have all our draftees from last year and whoever we get this year get through unscathed.

At least then we'll know where we are at without the top ups etc

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is absolutely no upside on that list, they are at ground zero
There is some upside.

But 1st off any of those players aged 30 or older are not gonna be around the eagles next finals Game.

Their 24-27 year Olds are solid but they need at least 2 or 3 good drafts to freshen that squad

Historically West Coast are the most travelled......Closely followed by Freo. Feel free to prove me incorrect for overall travel.
What, because the club has existed for seven additional years? Lol

Melbourne had 5 Top 10 picks in their Grand Final team. Petracca, Brayshaw, Oliver, Salem and Jackson.

Granted 2 of those guys are in their best 3 players, they just managed to hit all parts of the draft the past 10 years and also made some savvy trades which complimented their team perfectly. Lever, May, Langdon.

Drafted the best ruckman of the past decade with a 3rd rounder.

Elite talent ID in the past couple of drafts, bringing in Jackson, Pickett, Rivers, Bowey.

Complete masterclass in building a list.
I don't think it was a complete masterclass in building the list.

Having Mark Neeld as their coach in 2012-3 didn't do the players many favours LoL 😂🤣

WC are bound for their first ground zero rebuild. Maybe not this year. Maybe not next year. But it's coming.

Thank heavens we won a flag without three guns in Naitanui, Gaff and Sheppard. We went 3-0 against Collingwood that year. We spanked Richmond by 50 points. And we destroyed Melbourne when it mattered.

That flag was the greatest moment of our history.
Your ground zero rebuild starts this year mate lol

Meh we're a WA team. Expect to travel.

Won 4 flags travelling.

Can't use that one anymore.

Historically we bottom out hard but when were up there we take our chance a snag a flag.

Hopefully we can get back up there soon but at the moment its looking like a bit of a wait which is what equalusation is all about.

Good luck to teams up n about but remember you gotta take your opportunity coz the fall comes quick.

Only 3 teams have won flags in the last 6 years

Patrick McGinnity retired years ago, mate.

Really?

Want to explain why you think there's 'zero' upside?
I don't think there's zero upside.

Good look at the eagles list.

All those players aged 30 or over. Nice Nat, Hurn, Shuey, Gaff, Kennedy, Darling, McGovern etc.

Any of those blokes gonna be still in the eagles list when west coast makes finals?

Maybe the now 30 year old darling if he wants to play footy until 33-35 years old.

Yeah eagles have some solid 24-26 year Olds. But are they willing to go another 3 or 4 years of outside the top 8 ?

I can't comment on your players aged 23 or under.

I think there is slowly some positive signs.

The main turnaround I believe will be to get a full pre season into as many guys as possible without new injuries.

The surface in WA is an issue I dont think many have looked into also. Lower leg issues have been happening since we moved to the new facilities.

I hope we can at least have all our draftees from last year and whoever we get this year get through unscathed.

At least then we'll know where we are at without the top ups etc

I think a fully fit Allen in particular makes the forward half immediately better. I wonder if they could repurpose SPS to play high half as well?

I also think it will be interesting what road they go down at the draft.

One option would be to go local with a leaning on defenders. For example,
Pick 2 - Hewett. Midfield beast who has genuine power from stoppage. His defensive game and pressure is the best in the draft imho.
Pick 20 - Ginbey. Having a massive champs off half back. Strong, reads the ball well and takes the game on.
Pick 26 - Broadbent. Ruck
Pick 38 - Hagan. I'd plug and play him as a small defender.

Hagan, Barrass, Bazzo
Duggan, Edwards, Ginbey
Chesser, Kelly, Hough
R1 2023, Allen, Petrevski-Seton
Ryan, Williams, Riolli
Braodbent, Hewett, Sheed
Williams, Foley, O'Neill, Witherdon

Pretty good young group.

Last edited:
I don't think there's zero upside.

Good look at the eagles list.

All those players aged 30 or over. Nice Nat, Hurn, Shuey, Gaff, Kennedy, Darling, McGovern etc.

Any of those blokes gonna be still in the eagles list when west coast makes finals?

Maybe the now 30 year old darling if he wants to play footy until 33-35 years old.

Yeah eagles have some solid 24-26 year Olds. But are they willing to go another 3 or 4 years of outside the top 8 ?

I can't comment on your players aged 23 or under.
The biggest gap is those in their mid 20s.

Younger players we've picked up actually look quite promising.

Just from last draft we have Hough & Bazzo already best 22 and Culley has already shown he belongs.

That's 3 players already showing great signs plus B.Williams is finally starting to build consistent form.

Back