Coach Kenny Hinkley - should he stay or should he go (or will he be here until the end of time)?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he's in trouble - the suburban jungle drums are beating........

76142710-1b57-49e2-a0f5-1863dfce96fb-jpeg.1455753

Port Adelaide should reach out to Clarkson. They’ve got the list to win the Premiership. They just need a better coach.

Western Bulldogs and West Coast supporters, who have both jagged an unlikely flag in the past decade, having the gall to say that Port supporters “just overrate our list”. No, Ken Hinkley is just a very very bad coach who is awful on game day, has never had any sort of “Plan B” in any sort of situation, and has admittted that he lost the passion for coaching when his mate Phil Walsh tragically died in 2015. He’s taken a lot of money from the club in poor faith. If he coached in Victoria, even for a minnow like Footscray, North or St Kilda, he would have been driven out of town 5-6 years ago

Yeah…they would be over rating the players.

There are a lot of very good players on their list…

…but are they REALLY as good as their equivalents from other top teams?

They fall a bit short.

Take someone like Charlie Dixon for example…compare his record across his peak years to guys like Reiwoldt, Hawkins, Kennedy, Cameron…he’s a very good player but he comes in easily 5th on that list, when he’s not injured…or suspended.

It’s the difference in being a really good team that plays finals and actually being involved right at the pointy end.

You won a premiership with a frontline midfield of Shuey, Sheed, Yeo and Redden, with Naitanui nursing an ACL.

Dixon was AA CHF in 2020.

The idea that Ken hasn’t had the cattle is preposterous.

Port fans overrating their list and their club. Rinse and repeat year after year.

The personal crap/abuse they post about him on their board is disgraceful. Just a pathetic supporter base who absolutely lives up to their bogan reputation. Wanting a coach sacked is one thing but the level of vitriol they expel is on another level. No coach or person should be subjected to that. He’s a football coach not a war criminal.

And they do drastically overrate their list. The comical belief they harbour that Hinkley is the only thing stopping them from being a dynasty side and living up to their ‘exist to win premierships’ creed is a good source of humour. As if that separates them from the 17 other sides.

In any case… 1 in 25 years in the big league. Just a small fish in a big pond with a feral fanbase.

Port fans overrating their list and their club. Rinse and repeat year after year.

The personal crap/abuse they post about him on their board is disgraceful. Just a pathetic supporter base who absolutely lives up to their bogan reputation. Wanting a coach sacked is one thing but the level of vitriol they expel is on another level. No coach or person should be subjected to that. He’s a football coach not a war criminal.

And they do drastically overrate their list. The comical belief they harbour that Hinkley is the only thing stopping them from being a dynasty side and living up to their ‘exist to win premierships’ creed is a good source of humour. As if that separates them from the 17 other sides.

In any case… 1 in 25 years in the big league. Just a small fish in a big pond with a feral fanbase.

This post is pretty much exactly why it’s gone from being “discontent” to flat out hatred of Ken Hinkley in recent years. His complete immunity to criticism, harbored by his mates in the media, has led to such ignorant BS takes as this one. Perpetuating the same tired crap about “they expect to dominate the national comp like they did in the local league”. Utter tripe and not even close to reality. If you don’t understand anything about our predicament, or about his coaching ability, just don’t post about it.

Yes, if only we treated Hinkley as well as Richmond supporters treated Terry Wallace. FO, Tiger scum.

You won a premiership with a frontline midfield of Shuey, Sheed, Yeo and Redden, with Naitanui nursing an ACL.

Dixon was AA CHF in 2020.

The idea that Ken hasn’t had the cattle is preposterous.

Yeah I don’t see it and never have personally but hey you guys know your team.

It’s frustrating supporting a ‘nearly there’ team - 2018 aside my mob definitely fits that mould.

Disgraceful if they sack beloved uncle Kenny.

He is much beloved and single handily stopped port from being sold off and disband.

History will remember him with a statue at Adelaide oval.

Power should be happy they aren't Wooden spooners. The second they sack uncle Kenny and they fall flat on their face they must be punished you have struggling teams needing coach but port all high and mighty won't accept a 12 to top 6 finish disgraceful.

There's a reason why 10 players said they would leave if uncle Kenny was given the boot.

Last edited:
Disgraceful if they sack uncle Kenny.

He is much beloved and single handily stopped port from being sold off and disband.

History will remember him with a statue at Adelaide oval.

Power should be happy they aren't Wooden spooners. The second they sack uncle Kenny and they fall flat on their face they must be punished you have struggling teams needing coach but port all high and mighty won't accept a 12 to top 6 finish disgraceful.

There's a reason why 10 players said they would leave if uncle Kenny was given the boot.
If you're going to be an effective troll you need to tone it down a bit.

If you're going to be an effective troll you need to tone it down a bit.
When the AFL community tells you to not touch uncle Kenny and be happy not being wooden spooners/bottom 4 you should listen. Because we are not going to bailing out your club if you go against our wishes.

It's straight to the SANFL. Uncle Kenny produced a money making powerhouse in Port. And as one neutral when we think of Adelaide oval we think of port.

Judge him at the end of his contract 2023 at very least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the defence of Bassett being a forwards coach I think any assistant coach that stays in the system for a long time and has ambitions to be a senior coach would demand and seek via their contract that they coach different lines during their tenure.
Professional development is important in any field including the AFL.
Imagine interviewing for a Senior Coaching position and you've had 9 years at one club as an assistant for which the only line you've managed is the defence, you'd be doing your career a disservice.
If after 9 years you've managed the forwards, defenders and midfielders then your much more well rounded for a Senior Coaching Position.
I'm sure Bassett knows how's to structure a forward line when he's spent his whole career playing and studying how to negate them.
In saying that I think it's well past time for Hinkley and Bassett to both P.O.Q.

He coached Norwood to 3 Grand Finals and 2 consecutive SANFL flags before coming to Port.
I've felt for a while now, that he would have probably coached Port to ultimate success if he was in the chair.
He has a tactical brain, and absolutely can coach.

*But possibly doesn't drink enough Diet Coke....

Last edited:
I think port fans need to lay off Kenny !
Twice coach of the year 13,20
After a few years where things went their way, this year hasn’t been the case, key injuries and a slow start which is quite normal after a teams gone deep in the finals back to back years.
A bit of a refresh in the off season and I believe Ken will have the lads back in the 4!

I was really happy when Ken chose Port and Port chose Ken at the end of the 2012 season.

We were a rabble no one in football wanted to be associated with.

It’s something I’ll always be grateful for and think the club has changed under Ken - in many ways better than what it was.

He has now run his race. He has got the best out of Port that he can. And Port has got the best out of Ken they can. If either party wants greater success, they must find a new dance partner.

With no ill will, both parties should move on. At the end of the contract or earlier if it can be done with dignity.

It is just a question of who is a better partner than they have now?

He coached Norwood to 3 Grand Finals and 2 consecutive SANFL flags before coming to Port.
I've felt for a while now, that he would have probably coached Port to ultimate success if he was in the chair.
He has a tactical brain, and absolutely can coach.

*But possibly doesn't drink enough Diet Coke....
It's really hard to judge assistant coaches as you never actually know how great of an impact their allowed to have.
He's been quoted as viewing height in defence as not being highly important which I'd debate.
Despite his experience he doesn't seem to get talked up for senior positions or even interviewed as far as I know.
Ultimately though I really can't judge him at AFL level until he gets a Senior Coaching role if that ever happens.

This post is pretty much exactly why it’s gone from being “discontent” to flat out hatred of Ken Hinkley in recent years. His complete immunity to criticism, harbored by his mates in the media, has led to such ignorant BS takes as this one. Perpetuating the same tired crap about “they expect to dominate the national comp like they did in the local league”. Utter tripe and not even close to reality. If you don’t understand anything about our predicament, or about his coaching ability, just don’t post about it.
I’ve read your board and its your fans that are spouting tripe. Invoking ‘the creed’ is more often than not a comical interlude to the over the top hateful rubbish that litters any discussion about him.

And this coming from someone who does think he should be moved on. Definitely has had his chance and had long enough but unbeknownst to your fans he isn’t a saboteur solely intent on destroying your club. He has made 3 prelims, two lost by less than a kick and luck has deserted your side on those occasions.

He’s a football coach who should he moved on (by the board). Nothing more, nothing less.

Hinkley should go. The only port 'fans' that want him to stay are the chinese bots he's paid for on facebook (maybe something he and koch teed up on the Shanghai trips)
Neutrals would want him to stay at port because while he is there they are no threat for a flag.

He's a war criminal

Kenny to North would make so much sense for North, for Kenny and for Port. It's so logical it's almost no chance to happen!

Ken's a very good coach. Whilst he's had times he's struggled for scoring he coaches an up tempo, skillful game plan and has developed a lot of good players. He'd get North on the right path pretty quickly. And he'd probably command a nice solid 3 or 4 year deal to do it.

Meanwhile Port are now a strong club with very good list management and recruiting. But it's hard to see success coming for the Boak/Grey/Dixon era and it takes time to fill the gaps they might leave pretty soon. They'll have to move Kenny on pretty soon if he can't get at least to a grand final. May as well bite the bullet now.

I'd argue you've probably never been a top side on paper over that period.

Yet you finished in the top 4 multiple times.

No, twice, you knob end. One of those being in the covid affected season.

After 2014 we had 5 years of pus, making and losing an elimination final once. He should have been sacked before 2020 rolled around.

As for the last not being good, in 2014 we had the consensus best player in the comp. Last year we had the brownlow medallist. Consistent high achiever Boak. How has our list been any worse than 2017 Richmond? Or the Bulldogs in 2016?

There's nothing wrong with the farking list. And if there is, whose fault is that? Ken has had an entire decade and turned over the entire squad in that time, bar Boak and Gray. He had an extremely well funded rank of coaching assistants.

And he's delivered sweet * all, the guy is a loser and a failure and I'm sick of people who don't watch our club making excuses for him. He should have been sacked 5 years ago.

Jesus Christ, I bet you're too young to remember the truck load of manure that got dumped at punt road during your clubs 35 years of failure.

You're upset about a sticker and some fans complaining on an internet messageboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back