Collingwood-Richmond, is it a one way or two way rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

How do neutrals see the Collingwood-Richmond rivalry? Is it a genuine two way rivalry that runs both ways, or is it a one way rivalry?

I ask this because it seems like it's mostly a one way rivalry from Richmond's end, while Collingwood don't seem to care about Richmond as much as Richmond care about Collingwood.
Ok, I am not a neutral but feel I need to respond, sorry!! I think generally that Collingwood supporters only care about beating Carlton and maybe Essendon to a lesser extent but are not too fussed about other clubs. We want to beat everyone of course but the passion is reserved for one or two. I think pretty much every supporter from every other team in the AFL wants to beat Collingwood and cares about beating Collingwood though. We are the team everyone wants to beat...for some reason!!

Richmond is just not a team that we have any real history with apart from 1980 but they were the best side then, so no hard feelings! Richmond have mostly been irrelevant for the last 40 years or so. No reason to concern yourself with irrelevancy.

You see, you need to understand that supporting Collingwood is emotional enough that it is hard to give any extra emotion back to other clubs.

Ok, I am not a neutral but feel I need to respond, sorry!! I think generally that Collingwood supporters only care about beating Carlton and maybe Essendon to a lesser extent but are not too fussed about other clubs. We want to beat everyone of course but the passion is reserved for one or two. I think pretty much every supporter from every other team in the AFL wants to beat Collingwood and cares about beating Collingwood though. We are the team everyone wants to beat...for some reason!!

Richmond is just not a team that we have any real history with apart from 1980 but they were the best side then, so no hard feelings! Richmond have mostly been irrelevant for the last 40 years or so. No reason to concern yourself with irrelevancy.

You see, you need to understand that supporting Collingwood is emotional enough that it is hard to give any extra emotion back to other clubs.
Didn't Richmond just win three flags in four years?

Didn't Richmond just win three flags in four years?
Yeah, but they were irrelevant before then and are becoming irrelevant once more. That 4 year period was a little blip on the radar. One season was hit by Covid as well. It was an anomaly period, a bizarre period that made no sense to anyone, due mostly off the back of a freak of nature named Dustin Martin. It is over now and the real Richmond is back. :cool:

Rivalries depend mainly on having finals battles, so only two finals over the last 50-ish years sort of diminishes what once was. Also, both neighbouring suburbs have become very gentrified and infiltrated by non-Tiges/Pies inhabitants, so that aspect really no longer exists too.

That said, me and a bunch of my Tiges/Pies/Bombers/Blues mates still have our traditional Triple Crown going all these years later, which goes to the club who manages to knock off all of the other three in a given season, so the Tigers are the current the holder of that one.

Yeah, but they were irrelevant before then and are becoming irrelevant once more. That 4 year period was a little blip on the radar. One season was hit by Covid as well. It was an anomaly period, a bizarre period that made no sense to anyone, due mostly off the back of a freak of nature named Dustin Martin. It is over now and the real Richmond is back. :cool:

So whenever a team is successful you are just gonna pretend it didn’t happen so you can keep a narrative in your head going. That’s pretty sad man not gonna lie. Reminds me of one of my fav movies “Shutter Island” must watch if you haven’t seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Touchy about what? I’m asking a question, I don’t know how many and I would like to know the answer. Why the hostility?

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out Richmond were utter crap for a long time prior to 2017. Don’t play dumb.

So whenever a team is successful you are just gonna pretend it didn’t happen so you can keep a narrative in your head going. That’s pretty sad man not gonna lie. Reminds me of one of my fav movies “Shutter Island” must watch if you haven’t seen it.

Not at all Falcon! It's all a bit of over the top reactions just for entertainment purposes. Try not to take it all too seriously. The Tigers were amazing winning 3 flags, truly! I'd love to watch the Pies achieve something like that. Only 4 teams have done that in the last 20 years, then the 1980's before that, it is very tough to do.

Couldn’t care about Collingwood.

I’d say Carlton is a major rival for Richmond.
Geelong because they’re involved in 17, 19, 20 finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all Falcon! It's all a bit of over the top reactions just for entertainment purposes. Try not to take it all too seriously. The Tigers were amazing winning 3 flags, truly! I'd love to watch the Pies achieve something like that. Only 4 teams have done that in the last 20 years, then the 1980's before that, it is very tough to do.

Cheers for the nice response, hard to find on here all good banter

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out Richmond were utter crap for a long time prior to 2017. Don’t play dumb.

Nah for real I just wanna know cbf looking it up. From the sounds of it it’s very low.

True. But we've more than made up for it recently.

Tbh, with hindsight I wouldn't change a single thing. I'd probably even still draft Richard Tambling just before Lance Franklin if I knew we had three premierships coming our way before Buddy even retired.

Rivalries depend mainly on having finals battles, so only two finals over the last 50-ish years sort of diminishes what once was. Also, both neighbouring suburbs have become very gentrified and infiltrated by non-Tiges/Pies inhabitants, so that aspect really no longer exists too.

That said, me and a bunch of my Tiges/Pies/Bombers/Blues mates still have our traditional Triple Crown going all these years later, which goes to the club who manages to knock off all of the other three in a given season, so the Tigers are the current the holder of that one.

Personally i couldn’t give a rats about Richmond - I hate Carlton and to a lesser degree Essendon.

I reckon this is do with finals and in particular Grand Finals and we don’t have a good record against Carlton in GF’s.

When you take finals into account West Coast should be a bigger rival - we’ve played 9 finals against them in the past 20 odd years with only 1 game with a result greater than 20 points. This includes a draw, an extra time game, a 1 pointer, a 2 pointer, and of course the GF was just 5 points. That should build up a rivalry which ever way you look at it.

How do neutrals see the Collingwood-Richmond rivalry? Is it a genuine two way rivalry that runs both ways, or is it a one way rivalry?

I ask this because it seems like it's mostly a one way rivalry from Richmond's end, while Collingwood don't seem to care about Richmond as much as Richmond care about Collingwood.
All Collingwood rivalries are more one way except Carlton. Everyone hates Collingwood.

Lol no, why would anybody have a rivalry with a club that gifts everybody flags? Their poor supporters live in the past cause they are no good anymore (2 flags in 60 years). So they keep bringing up the 1920s 4peat and think they are still the biggest club even though they haven’t been for half a decade now. Pretty sad, they’ve got nothing else going for them anymore, may as well fold.

Roy Morgan says other wise. Collingwood 735,000 to Richmond 507,000!!

Now let’s talk about attendances. Last time Richmond drew bigger criticism then Collingwood was in 2018!!

Also Collingwood at 9.2 million in front of Richmond in total home and away attendances. Hey Carlton and Essendon have draw 2.2 and 2 million more then Richmond respectively. Richmond have never been the biggest club tho Richmond fans lose sleep every night as soon as Collingwood fans particularly south of the Yarra prove time and time again that Collingwood is the biggest club!

I've always regarded Richmond as our second biggest rival after Carlton.

The origins of the Richmond rivalry originate from Dan Minogue's defection to the Tigers. Minogue's move marked the beginning of the Collingwood-Richmond rivalry in 1919. The rivalry intensified in the 1920s during the "Machine Team" era and took off from there.

Up until then, Fitzroy was our main rival followed by Carlton who we developed a rivalry with after the 1910 Grand Final.

True. But we've more than made up for it recently.

Tbh, with hindsight I wouldn't change a single thing. I'd probably even still draft Richard Tambling just before Lance Franklin if I knew we had three premierships coming our way before Buddy even retired.
Without a doubt. As I said earlier, I’m envious of your 3 flags in 4 years. You take that no matter what.

Doesn’t mean we aren’t the biggest club in the AFL though 😏

How many finals have we played together in those 41 years?

Don’t worry Falcon, they last beat us in a Grand Final in….well they never have, they have only beaten us in Challenge Finals or finals that were subject to challenge. But the last of those was 1929. And the last time they beat us in a final and went on to win a flag…..1935. And the reason SOTY is so desperate to point to the Pies infamous Preliminaryship victory over us in 2018? Because it was the Pastries first finals victory against us since 1937. And we had beaten them in 6 consecutive finals before 2018, 3 of those occasions en route to Tiger flags.

They beat us in finals and won flags 1919, 27, 28, 29, 30, & 35. We beat them in finals and won flags in 1920-69-73-80. So they still have the wood on us here but theirs are a long long way further in the past than most of ours are.

This rivalry was fierce historically, and really all these rivalries have been a little diluted by populations spreading out of the inner suburbs and the competition growing from 12 in increments to now 18 teams meaning big game and finals clashes are now less frequent.

I went to a home and away match between us and the filth at the MCG in the late 70’s or early 80’s where the crowd was heaving and KB was running rampant, and each time he booted a major, the yellow and black section of the crowd went nuts in appreciation of the wispy-haired wonder and simultaneously the filth section of the crowd went berserk abusing the man who made being hungry cool. It felt like the MCG was going to explode. It was magnificent. 😁

South of the Yarra is no doubt scarred by these and other memories and seems like a therapist has suggested to him his best way to deal with it is to create an alternative reality in which the Tiger monster is not so frightening for him. 🤣

How so? How can a GF be bigger than another?

In Melbourne a Grand Final between any two of Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond would be on another level for public interest, tension, clamour for tickets etc when compared to any other Grand Final pairing though Essendon would not be far behind. I would doubt these historical enemies would be matched anywhere in Australian sport. I think people who didn’t live through any part of the 1910-1982 period in Melbourne wouldn’t understand. And anyone who did live through it would well know the latent fierce rivalries that will very soon spring to life in the event of Grand Final meetings or repeated finals meetings as was commonplace through a few phases of history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back