Autopsy 2022 Rd 20 F*** this. Headline space for rent

Who played poorly for the Blues vs the Crows in Round 20?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So Kemp has to wait because of his deficiencies, but Plowman continues to have major irreparable weaknesses as a senior player and this is OK?

The opposition would be deadset laughing watching him dawdle into defensive 50 week after week.

Yeah, there are quite a few that don't seem to get the opportunities others do... For reasons we will never truly know...

Plowman is an ok depth player, to have to cover for injuries...

The main issue is he's physically week, strength wise...
Teams push him over in the contest and run through him in the tackle...

Think we'd see a different player next year if he smashed the gym to gain physical strength...

Would be a bitter blow to miss finals from here considering:

1. We've been in the top 8 literally every round this year...to get pushed out right in the last round would be hard to take.

2. It would likely mean losing to Collingwood and they being the ones to knock us out, potentially securing top 4 for themselves at the same time.

Or just win the next 3.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Further to the above, we are just playing too safe now. What is the point of playing safe and getting spanked.. Its like taking an iron off the tee when you know you cant control it and its gonna end up in the trees anyway - no point.

So many times on behind the goals vision I saw space in the middle but no one went there nor did the ball carrier demand players to get there. One of the most basic fundamentals in footy is kick to space and make ur team mates run into the ball.

I want round 1-10 Carlton back asap.

Ive said from round 1, just make finals, hopefully play in Melbourne and win the first to give the team a taste of it.

Well, IMHO, that take by that poster was crap and not shared by Voss and the MC and have continued to pick Plow ahead of other underperforming options at VFL. Which I have backed, with no contradiction and or suggesting another alternative that Voss should consider until either Kemp improves his deficiencies (at that point in time), or Marchbank stays on the park and finds consistent output

So your original claim is still bullshit.

More than happy to address it further if you can find any evidence
Replying to your quip in relation to playing TDK down back.

This may well be the Club's position but the evidence from his brother is that it is viable at least in the short-term when all of our defenders are fatigued. In my ladder predictors I had Geelong beating us, then in the GF switching TDK to a key back ( a la Rhys Jones) to win THIS YEAR.

The Club may well have a LT plan but now is now.

WE CAN WIN IT.

I have a dream
Where we beat teams we are meant to and fight hard to beat teams we arent meant to
It’s a dream

Losing that game will reveal all about our players. Will they respond ? Or will they collapse mentally. I could see this loss coming a mile away. But equally, I can see us surprising to the upside in the next 3 games.
IMO it's the next three games that we set ourselves for and we forgot to prepare for the crows. They played well mind you, and we were caught off guard.

But is this the kick up the arse we needed? We now face finals like games for at least the next 4 games. We wont be taking any lightly.

Our injured returnees will be ready to go come the first round of the finals....
Also....can Voss create belief after such a poor loss?

Bigger picture, mate. We could have replaced Silvagni with Gary Snr and we still would've got beat last night.

Dropping someone who gives their all every week, whilst also performing at the standard required in multiple roles for the past 12 weeks; at the most important time of year is s**t for morale, culture, chemistry and balance.

It's also arrogance. We're not in a position to drop a clear best-22 player like JSOS because it looks like we might get better results from someone else.

Just my personal opinion this one, but competition for spots is great, but I feel like a dropping like that puts fear into players rather than motivation. We had countless players all of a sudden play all sorts of selfish footy; perhaps in a desperate attempt to not be on the chopping block.
Selection is about defined roles. Coaches had to find out how TDK and Pitto could work together and if TDK could contribute forward. Unfortunately, 46 inside 50s and Pittos poor first up game did not deliver a definitive answer. It will not matter this week, as there is a spot for JSOS onball

We actually need 6 wins not 7 for #17 because as bad as we were against the Crows we can still finish top 4 if we win from here - not saying we will but it’s still possible.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not the post I wanted to make on my return from honeymoon.

Long story short my family sans Dad and I are Crows fans so these games are always a calendar marking clash for us. Well, Poppa was laughing several times watching us play, and I don't blame him at all. I think Fogartys goal and a moment at our half forwardline where we messed up about 5 times in 15 seconds were where he audibly chuckled.

Some of those efforts were genuinely things amateurs would be embarrassed over.

I do subscribe to the idea we took them easy. You could see our intensity and effort were miles off inside the first quarter despite the scoreboard. It was flattering. Even though the Crows are poor skills wise the way they've always caught teams out is through their effort. Despite skill shortcomings amongst other things effort and pressure are consistents for them and that's what catches teams out on occasion, that's not something you expect from a bottom 4 team, and it caught us out big time.

Dropping Silvagni was a mistake. He's inside our best 16 players for sure and I'd argue higher, so this idea that "Good teams mean someone is unlucky and misses out" is a nice one but to me it doesn't apply at all in this situation and is just fancy marketing. Once he came on there was a moment where Dad and I both remarked "That's exactly why you want Silvagni in the team!". Inside our 50 he was in a marking contest, landed then laid a tackle, then while on the ground picked the ball up and handballed it out to a team mate. 3 impactful efforts in a marking and ground contest. Very few others in our team would do that and he has 2 or 3 a game.

Our small forwards are bad. How many times does the ball get kicked inside 50 to one of our tall targets and it comes to ground only for there to be a swarm of defenders and our smalls nowhere to be seen. It's been an ongoing issue for a while.

Further to ongoing issues inside 50 our entries have long been woeful. It's bomb and hope for a contested mark or nothing most of the time. Hit someone up, please! Some nuance going inside 50 would be appreciated.

For the first time I'm going to publicly question Sam Walsh's decision making. Several times this year I've seen him burn 20-30 metre kicks right in front of him in favour of blazing the kick long. I've always given him a pass but after the weekend I'm going to put it out there. He needs to lower his eyes because so often there's easy passes he's burning in favour of a blind long kick and it really hurt us on the weekend. It's not something I've noticed in the past, like last yr when he was an AA, but something that's come in this year. Not really sure why, but he needs to composure up. Even though he had lots of possession I don't think it was one of his better games.

Speaking of kicking, I've never really had a problem with McKays kicking but gee that looked bad.

TDK can't play forward. He messes up the structure and really doesn't know what he's doing there. Silvagni is far, far more valuable inside 50 than TDK. TDK as a 3rd tall is a nice idea but it doesn't and never has worked. I understand this creates issues though as to what to do with the 2nd ruckman.

Cripps played well and I don't think it's a coincidence it's in Pittos first game back. Something about their chemistry brings out the best in him.

I've said it before in these sorts of reviews but we need to find more avenues to goal. We sorely lack natural goal kickers, both inside 50 (which is concerning) and from midfield. Even our halfbacks don't launch from outside 50 like some do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be a bitter blow to miss finals from here considering:

1. We've been in the top 8 literally every round this year...to get pushed out right in the last round would be hard to take.

2. It would likely mean losing to Collingwood and they being the ones to knock us out, potentially securing top 4 for themselves at the same time.
IF it happens it will be deja vu from 1977 for us older blokes.

In the top 5 all year, lose to the Dogs at the Western Oval and have to listen to South beat North (who were top) on the trans.

Devastating at the time, but look what we went on to do from '79 to '82.

Still think we make it. One s**t performance doesn't define us.

Still cant get over this defeat. The losses to Richmond and St Kilda were disappointing no doubt but for some reason this one really stings. We had so much to play for against such an average team and we blew it. This year has been so exciting and to watch it peter out is heart-breaking.

I really want to see us return to the exciting ruthless brand we played for the first half of the year but I am losing faith fast, missing finals would be a failure in my eyes however I just cannot see how we account for Brissie, Melbourne and the Filth. This is the real test for Vossy now, instilling a serious amount of belief in the playing group and creating strategies to counteract what ever our next three opposition throw up.

Don't let us down Blue Boys!!

Last edited:
Replying to your quip in relation to playing TDK down back.

This may well be the Club's position but the evidence from his brother is that it is viable at least in the short-term when all of our defenders are fatigued. In my ladder predictors I had Geelong beating us, then in the GF switching TDK to a key back ( a la Rhys Jones) to win THIS YEAR.

Was surprised to read that SdK is actually 1cm taller than TdK. I wonder if Tom has ever been considered as a back?

Still cant get over this defeat. The losses to Richmond and St Kilda were disappointing no doubt but for some reason this one really stings. We had so much to play for against such an average team and we blew it. This year has been so exciting and to watch it peter out is heart-breaking.

I really want to see us return to the exciting ruthless brand we played for the first half of the year but I am losing faith fast, missing finals would be a failure in my eyes however I just cannot see how we account for Brissie, Melbourne and the Filth. This is the resl test for Vossy now, instilling a serious amount of belief in the playing group and creating strategies to counteract what ever our next three opposition throw up.

Don't let us down Blue Boys!!
Can't see us losing 4 in a row. If it does happen though, it will be hard to come back from mentally for some of the players im afraid

Can't see us losing 4 in a row. If it does happen though, it will be hard to come back from mentally for some of the players im afraid
Probably fortunate to have a bye week allowing a reset of sorts - provided we end up making it. I feel like some of the boys are physically and mentally tired, the bye could do wonders for us.

With quite a few crow eaters in my ear and a 0-5 record this game was the PERFECT storm for them.
Crows have been patchy but some of their 'better' footy is actually quite effective.
The back end of the swans game showed me enough for concern.

This was a classic sh#t the bed moment. massively. And it shows how we're still quite mentally fragile.
Go back to the previous crows game against us. We absolutely and utterly torched them.
Our list when firing with belief should've repeated the dose.
But I had a nagging feeling this was coming. And I think this game may have cost us finals.

If we can pull one out of the bag against the Lions or demons I actually think we'll get the pies.
But suddenly the ice is cracking after the crows game and the pressure is on. I didn't think we were a top 4 side this year.
I actually predicted us for 9th-10th final ladder position. So finals is a bonus.
But to play as well as we have this year and drop out would be beyond disappointing and we all know it.
Lets see what Vossy can conjure up in the last rounds. They're all finals from this point lets face it.

Back