NO TROLLS EDDIE BETTS, JOSH JENKINS & the Crow's Camp. A knife, a harness and the ‘power stance’: Eddie Betts reveals ‘cult-like’ training camp

Remove this Banner Ad

Psychology is one of those subjects that everybody likes to think they know something about. We love to go around diagnosing our friends and co-workers, both to make sense of the world and to make ourselves feel like we're smarter than they are. How this equates to getting the ball first in a game of footy has me buggered?
But like any science that makes its way into the wide world of sports, a lot of the "common sense" statements we hear every day are so wrong that they border on raving idiocy. In this case absolute absurdity.
You will find almost universal agreement that anyone who participates in a cult (or, organized religion of any kind) is simply either weak minded, mentslly challenged or some kind of brain drained combination of the two. We tend to associate cults with fanaticism, assuming that they are all made up of people that wear bed sheets and live in the backwoods somewhere? As social animals we are hard-wired to want to belong to a group. It's a need as basic and real as hunger or sex. When we get cut off from our group, lose a job, divorce, break up with our girlfriend or even lose a Grand Final... we go a little crazy. Cults are very, very good at finding people in that exact moment of weakness, and saying exactly the right things. Whoever thought this camp neccessary after the Crows loss in 2017 had a momnet of madness that still reverberates to this day.

Mate we literally have an experienced doctor of medicine in our forum who happens to be a committed Christian.

I would say your generalisation about weak mindedness or being mentally challenged is a very very broad statement and one that is not necessarily accurate. Some of your other stuff I agree with wholeheartedly

It’s a story that other clubs should hear though, to ensure that no more players victim to non vetted, non professional money seekers who want to perform untested quasi-science on young men put in a position where it is difficult to refuse. Essendon another example of this. What went on should be public - needs to be public
The AFL had actually changed the rules regarding Camps after this initially came out so thats not the reason. I don't think Eddie has a real sinister reason for it coming out though, It's one chapter in his book and it is a big part of his story at the crows and why he left.

The AFL had actually changed the rules regarding Camps after this initially came out so thats not the reason. I don't think Eddie has a real sinister reason for it coming out though, It's one chapter in his book and it is a big part of his story at the crows and why he left.
Yeah I think people are reading way too much into Eddie’s decision to put it in the book. It was a fairly significant and well known part of his career, it would be weird if he didn’t write about it.

An Adelaide Crows doctor filed a report about the welfare of players who attended the controversial pre-season camp, according to former Crows player Josh Jenkins, who alleged the contents of the report were not acted upon.

Jenkins, who attended the 2018 camp and played 147 games for the Crows before moving to Geelong for the 2020 season, will share his experience of the camp in a regular appearance on SEN radio on Friday afternoon.

It just keeps getting better and better news for Adelaide !!!

Haha my club was a rabble not long ago, and honestly I really enjoy looking back on it all. Some of the s**t we did was hilarious.

Sometimes you just have to own your own s**t. Particularly when it comes to drafting/trading s**t - but some stuff is just next level crap..

Josh Jenkins laying out more details. The whole thing is just mind blowing, anyone (non-playing) still at the Crows who was involved in planning, attending or covering up this thing should leave the club.

Regards

S. Pete

Josh Jenkins laying out more details. The whole thing is just mind blowing, anyone (non-playing) still at the Crows who was involved in planning, attending or covering up this thing should leave the club.

Regards

S. Pete
Not listening to SEN currently and did he confirm everything Eddie said ? They did mention earlier that JJ was in Eddie’s group.

Absolutely mind blowing the additional detail Jenkins has added.

Disgraceful from the entire club CEO and down. Having multiple people express their concerns and issues with the program to basically be told shut up and sit down is an indictment on everyone who was involved.

What’s come out with Pyke, he should never be involved in any football club or program ever again.

Should Patrick Dangerfield resign as president of the AFLPA since 2018?
Paul Marsh would be the one whose head should roll but for them to act they did need signed statements , not just someone’s verbal account or Caro telling them what she knows . unfortunately the players were rightly fearful of the repercussions of speaking out .

Think if AFLPA had that formal documentation they would have responded differently, anything other than that is just rumour even though they may know it to be true.

Not listening to SEN currently and did he confirm everything Eddie said ? They did mention earlier that JJ was in Eddie’s group.

Confirmed and added a lot worse detail.

the club basically stopped doctors or health professionals being involved at all because they knew it wasn’t okay.

Expressed concerns from a large group of players and himself.

Said the ones that found it okay were the players who grew up with a silver spoon basically.

Was promised confidential things about their up bringing, childhood trauma and the like wouldn’t be shared and then was all shared and destroyed those players mentally.

Was pushed out and labelled as cancerous by the club in the media because he continued to stand up against the program.

They also chose to continue the program but exclude the indigenous players after a while, indicating they chose the program over the aboriginal players.

The CEO and Pyke pushed down to not talk about anything that happened to anyone and continued to after.

I can't believe a guy like Jenkins was labelled as problematic for standing up for what he believed in.

I wonder why he couldn't get a game at Geelong?

Absolutely mind blowing the additional detail Jenkins has added.

Disgraceful from the entire club CEO and down. Having multiple people express their concerns and issues with the program to basically be told shut up and sit down is an indictment on everyone who was involved.

What’s come out with Pyke, he should never be involved in any football club or program ever again.
What extra details did Jenkins mention?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the most detail I've read on it but the whole thing was a disaster. Nothing new can really come of this though. Crows handled it horribly during and after, most of the senior off field leaders departed as a result. Somehow Riccuito is still there, great player doesn't equal great administrator, director etc.
He's not an administrator, he's a volunteer member of the Board, as in no monetary gain or salary.
Chairman Rob Chapman gone
CEO Andrew Fagan gone
Coach Don Pyke gone
Head of Football Brett Burton Gone

The fact that Roo publicly slammed players who were leaving post the camp and has recently said that he hopes Eddie can get over it.

How does this boomer * keep a job?
Generation X

Confirmed and added a lot worse detail.

the club basically stopped doctors or health professionals being involved at all because they knew it wasn’t okay.

Expressed concerns from a large group of players and himself.

Said the ones that found it okay were the players who grew up with a silver spoon basically.

Was promised confidential things about their up bringing, childhood trauma and the like wouldn’t be shared and then was all shared and destroyed those players mentally.

Was pushed out and labelled as cancerous by the club in the media because he continued to stand up against the program.

They also chose to continue the program but exclude the indigenous players after a while, indicating they chose the program over the aboriginal players.

The CEO and Pyke pushed down to not talk about anything that happened to anyone and continued to after.
Cheers mate and that is just disturbing.

Haven't read much but just read JJ statement. the so-called counsellor crap is so so low. I don't know how someone could do this. To betray that trust so openly. How could you live with yourself knowing the pain you are about to inflict on someone who put their trust in you? The only way would be if you were a total wack-job.

All this stuff about mental health in the media and raising awareness and the Crows/AFL try to excuse/cover that up. thankfully heads have rolled.

Such an amazing lack of judgment by decision-makers at the crows. It is unbelievable how this was thought to be a good idea.

“I got into a chat with one of the facilitators who told me he occasionally gets voices in his head… I asked how do you get them to stop… he said he sits under a tree until the voices stop.

He said they took two days to stop so he sat beneath a tree for two days.

I only include that info to explain how misguided this whole situation was… how could you possibly allow someone of that nature to be in control of high-performing professional athletes?”

All sounds totally normal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back