Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
On the contrary, why didn’t Essendon sack Rutten if they already concluded that he wasn’t going coach beyond round 23? That way, Clarkson wouldn’t have felt the pressure of having all the attention on him to make a decision given it’s two clubs without coaches that aren’t playing finals. Instead, Clarkson has to make a decision because Rutten is still coaching the side, showing up to training, preparing the side to play Richmond, making the changes etc.

Of course Clarkson will feel pressured to make a decision because this fiasco is taking up the whole media coverage and having an impact on the coach that is currently still in place.

I think he would have seriously considered the Essendon role if he was given more time to do his due diligence. North were more organised so that’s the one you’ll take under pressure.
Oh definitely we should have sacked Rutten straight away on the Monday when Brasher was sacked. This blew up Monday morning with Clarkson rumour so Clarkson would’ve been aware of Rutten situation then. Then gets a call Tues and Rutten still there. It had to have been discussed at that point. Wed and Thurs drag on
and we’re still waiting. Why when the coach still hasn’t been sacked?

If Madden is indeed departing voluntarily at this point, I don't think this augurs remotely well for the direction the head coach selection is going in.

I get a horrible feeling he's sensing where the wind is blowing and is leaving pre-emptively.

I've said previously in the last few days that the entire board, including Madden, should go, but the timing of this seems ominous to me.

Yeah, I'm not liking what I'm hearing.

What I still don’t quite get after hearing Clarkson’s reasons behind his decision is what Clarkson didn’t just put an end to the chase on the Tuesday when Barham first called? What was there to consider? Especially when he already said a 3-4 day diligence was not enough. Yes I know he was off to Adelaide on Wed and Thurs but why not just end it Tuesdayon that first call?
He was playing Essendon, maybe hoping for some extra $$$ from north, would be my guess

Or he hates Essendon so much saw a nice opportunity to let the place implode

If Madden is indeed departing voluntarily at this point, I don't think this augurs remotely well for the direction the head coach selection is going in.

I get a horrible feeling he's sensing where the wind is blowing and is leaving pre-emptively.

I've said previously in the last few days that the entire board, including Madden, should go, but the timing of this seems ominous to me.
He backed the losing horse, if you aren’t going to fall into line and get behind the new chairman, get out.

In fairness to Richardson, he did the same job at Richmond, was s**t, got demoted because of it, and we hired him to do the job he was s**t at after his demotion.

By what metric was he s**t at Richmond?

He arrives in 2013 and leaves in 2017, aligning with their ridiculous rise from dogshit to unbeatable with the majority of that premiership team on and off field arriving within that time period.

He was playing Essendon, maybe hoping for some extra $$$ from north, would be my guess

How was he playing them?

He was 9/10th down with a decision and we came along to ask the question. He considered for 5 minutes and went where his mail was. I'd even suspect that he wouldn't have increased his price at all and confirmed he was happy to go with North.

Barham had to ask the question and would have been savaged if he didn't - damned if he did or didn't. It took for a coup to even have anyone from the club raise it with Clarko. What were the rest of the board and footy department doing not asking if they knew the fate of Truck?

He arrives in 2013 and leaves in 2017, aligning with their ridiculous rise from dogshit to unbeatable with the majority of that premiership team on and off field arriving within that time period.
balme came in and steadied the ship in 2017, Richardson was backseat once he arrived.

FWIW Richmond supporters appeared happy to wave him goodbye when he left. We thought we were picking up a star addition at the time, in the end it appears he was a bit useless and meddled in all the wrong ways.

Mahoney meanwhile seems to be well respected by MFC and rattling all the right cages.

He was s**t at the job we gave him. Literally everyone at Richmond said this when we hired him. As soon as he got demoted to a job he was good at they went from basically us to a dominant side over a 4 year period.

He arrived 2 years after they were dogshit and was the head of the football department when they achieved mediocre results (always losing first week of finals for the first 3 years he was there), had a horror 2016 where they got Neil Balme, he got demoted to a role he was actually good at and then we hired him to do the job he achieved mediocre results in. Which he then achieved, let's see, mediocre results in here...

FWIW Richmond supporters appeared happy to wave him goodbye when he left. We thought we were picking up a star addition at the time, in the end it appears he was a bit useless and meddled in all the wrong ways.

Mahoney meanwhile seems to be well respected by MFC and rattling all the right cages.

But knowing everything we know now, how do we know he didn’t meddle in all the right ways and ask all the right questions and get continually shut down by the idiot brigade.

Seems there was a similar schism between Richardson and Dodoro as there is now between Mahoney and Dodoro, and if Occam’s razor tells us Dodoro is invariably in the wrong, then the opposite of that is in the right.

To be honest I’m not even really commenting about the individual merit of these people, my question is more that is seems like if you weren’t an old boy or get along with the old boys you invariably got sidelined or backseated until you were out on your arse or went somewhere else that wasn’t run like a popularity contest.

It’s so interesting to reflect back on the last 10 years with the lense of the last week.

Remember Mark Neeld? We all thought he was a fool, was he just a rigid, process driven individual that didn’t gel with ‘fast and loose’ and the axis powers of idiocy.

Neil Craig? Dan Richardson? Rob Kerr? How many of these people have we moved on or have departed the club because they didn’t align with what our concept of what a footy club looks like and how much of it was actually the right thing to do?

And how many have we lost because smart people saw the writing on the wall?

Neeld wasn't a fool. He was doing fine in his role with us. Worsfold then moved him into a totally ridiculous new role that kind of sat between himself and the line coaches and was responsible for (and needed to be across) everything and nothing simultaneously.

It was a disaster, the role was immediately made redundant (which it was in every sense of the word) mid-season. Neeld was offered another role for the length of his contract but quite reasonably instead decided to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just want a quickly pose a thought that may have not gotten through a few of the tinfoil hats here:

- The internal review was announced by Brasher without any formal discussion with the board mid-season, which had reportedly a lot of people internally questioning it because it didn’t go far enough into looking into the club’s issues & we did one 18 months earlier that didn’t cause sustained long term change.

- Said review was then done INTERNALLY by the head of the football department Josh Mahoney with support of the football directors that seems to have said “Nup, things are good here”. Because you’re hardly going to review yourself negatively and taint your reputation whilst possibly getting the flick?

- New guy comes in, initial press conference and behaviour with Rutten was well below what you would expect, but with a mandate of change and building off the internal review with getting opinions from outside the day-to-day operations with the club & scoping the industry for best practice, which is commonplace amongst all well performing organisations.

- Rutten gets the flick, which through sensationalism on here has become to the level of giving Norm Smith the sack. Yes, could have been treated better of course & deserved better, but very hard to point out where we are progressing & not massively regressing over the past 12 months.

- Simon Madden considers walking from the board and that’s a disaster despite the fact that he hasn’t played in 30 years and has been part of the issue? Plus he hardly conducts himself in interviews as an insightful visionary on modern football, rather preferring an “I remember when” approach.
(Yes all time club legend, very good guy & 378 games more than I’ve played)

How about we actually see what the external review delivers in terms of recommendations & any subsequent changes before we completely trash it the premise of it? If it produces no changes and it’s more of the same, by all means rip him to shreds as deserved. We all have pointed out there’s some rotten eggs in the club (old boys club mentality as a starting point), which an external review should point out and provide action for this to be recrified and yet some of us are trashing it because the department who reviewed themselves said they were sweet??

Have we all become so used to complaining over the last 18 years that the first performance induced external review in recent memory is still a cause for complaint rather than some optimism?

There's a lot of support for the club holding an external review, and the criticism is due to the said review appearing to be limited in scope.

All well and good, however timing is an issue. You can’t run a 4-6 week external review & then a 4 week coaching search. Takes us past trade week and into late October before appointing anyone. Would be horrific for 2023 planning & attractive a strong support staff and having them in place by preseason in November. Hence why ideally it should have been run mid-year rather than Brasher taking the easy option.

They all did stick with stability and add key people around them. They also had key pillars in place off field & IRRC less factional issues. That doesn’t mean that is the only option. Carlton & Collingwood from last year are far closer to where things are here. Off-field dramas leading to instability that needs to be dealt with to clear air for the playing group to succeed.

Do we really want to be St.Kilda going through a second internal review in a row?

You make a good point here and this is where the club could have gone okay Ben has one year left, lets use that year to undertake a full external review of the football club to be completed before the season starts, then implement it during March to August which would allow the club to carry out a proper recruitment campaign for key coaching positions.

Re clarkson, not sure why you wouldn't take what he said at a Fridays press conference or on On The Couch last night at face value.
His explanation sounds perfectly reasonable and I dont know why anyone would question his integrity.

The obvious answer is our Board made another panicky/arrogant decision without any planning or strategy. They thought the big club allure would be enough to sway him and didnt do any of the necessary groundwork.

As members, the whole Essendon board here needs to write into Essendon and ask for each and every board member to resign. We need a complete cleanout and it starts at the top.
The problem with that is it opens us up for the cancer that is the coteries influence to grow

Or he had simply done the interviews with North and GWS and decided he was not going to do another. It was not about the money. I suspect it was more ego and thinking he will take the North job and in 4 or 5 years he will get results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back