2022 Bathurst 1000

Mar 5, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not long now. DJR going retro mode with their cars.

309261531_10159206743319506_2097832893815392671_n.jpg

Last edited:

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
One last win for Holden, as long as its not Triple 8. Chaz is our only hope.

In all honesty Gen 3 can get ****ed, make Bathurst a one make race for VT Commodore station wagons.

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
You'd suspect they'll move up the start time like in 2020 if the forecast holds. Gotta finish it in time for 7 news and all

You'd suspect they'll move up the start time like in 2020 if the forecast holds. Gotta finish it in time for 7 news and all

10am start would be good, finish around 4pm and then watch the F1’s.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
24mls is enough to can the race. Water would be flowing down the gutters.
Depends on how it falls. If it's one big thunderstorm, dumping 24mm in 1-2 hours (12-24mm per hour), then that would definitely see the race red flagged - though a re-start may be possible, depending on the timing. If it's a steady 1-3mm per hour, then "let's go racing".

The joker in the pack is the fact that the ground is already completely saturated, with more rain forecast in the days leading up to the race. It's not just the Sunday forecast that we need to be worried about. Anything that falls is going to run straight off the mountain, so we're definitely going to see how effective the track design is at managing run-off from the areas around the track. Rain that falls on the track itself is one thing - but the ability to manage run-off from surrounding areas will determine whether or not the race can proceed.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Depends on how it falls. If it's one big thunderstorm, dumping 24mm in 1-2 hours (12-24mm per hour), then that would definitely see the race red flagged - though a re-start may be possible, depending on the timing. If it's a steady 1-3mm per hour, then "let's go racing".

The joker in the pack is the fact that the ground is already completely saturated, with more rain forecast in the days leading up to the race. It's not just the Sunday forecast that we need to be worried about. Anything that falls is going to run straight off the mountain, so we're definitely going to see how effective the track design is at managing run-off from the areas around the track. Rain that falls on the track itself is one thing - but the ability to manage run-off from surrounding areas will determine whether or not the race can proceed.

Wet from Wednesday : http://www.bom.gov.au/places/nsw/bathurst/

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
... as I said - the ground is already completely saturated, with more rain forecast in the days leading up to the race.

It's going to be a massive test for the track's engineering, as we see how well it deals with water running off from the areas surrounding the track, particularly the properties inside the track.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
... as I said - the ground is already completely saturated, with more rain forecast in the days leading up to the race.

It's going to be a massive test for the track's engineering, as we see how well it deals with water running off from the areas surrounding the track, particularly the properties inside the track.
Considering how much traffic the infield gets (camping, caravans etc), I'd be bloody worried about how much water comes rolling down the mountain.

Just seems a recipe for disaster.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Considering how much traffic the infield gets (camping, caravans etc), I'd be bloody worried about how much water comes rolling down the mountain.

Just seems a recipe for disaster.
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the camping & parking areas are closed. I know the Temora Aviation Museum cancelled their bi-annual Warbirds Airshow, because the ground was so wet that it would have been unsafe to have thousands of people on site. I will not be surprised if they are forced to do the same with many of the camping & parking areas at Bathurst.

It's not just a matter of run off created by "traffic" - it's just going to run off the whole area, because the ground is so wet.

Here's the Warbirds cancellation media release - I am expecting the same logic to apply at Bathurst:
Warbirds Downunder 2022 Cancelled - Temora Aviation Museum.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the camping & parking areas are closed. I know the Temora Aviation Museum cancelled their bi-annual Warbirds Airshow, because the ground was so wet that it would have been unsafe to have thousands of people on site. I will not be surprised if they are forced to do the same with many of the camping & parking areas at Bathurst.

It's not just a matter of run off created by "traffic" - it's just going to run off the whole area, because the ground is so wet.

Here's the Warbirds cancellation media release - I am expecting the same logic to apply at Bathurst:
It's a big ask, all these spots have been booked out for months and months.

Not just easy to rehouse them all. That's provided they still go of course.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
BoM Forecast for Bathurst: http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/bathurst.shtml

Currently predicting:
Wed: 15-25mm
Thurs: 5-10mm
Fri: 15-20mm
Sat: 15-30mm
Sun: 15-30mm

I don't see how they can keep the parking & camping areas open under those conditions, particularly given the pre-existing saturation levels.

There will be a lot of run-off from the surrounding areas, particularly the properties inside the track (particularly either side of Conrod & Mountain straights). How the track engineering handles this run-off will be the key to whether or not we get a race.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Next time I get to Bathurst, Temora is on the hit list.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
It's a big ask, all these spots have been booked out for months and months.

Not just easy to rehouse them all. That's provided they still go of course.
It's a safety issue. They won't have any choice.

Where people will park, and what alternative camping arrangements are, I have no idea. I'm actually surprised that an announcement hasn't already been made, given that Temora has already made the call over Warbirds.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Next time I get to Bathurst, Temora is on the hit list.
I've been a couple of times - it's highly recommended.

They have Flying Days about every 2 months. Most of their aircraft collection is in flying condition, and they get them all airborne. It's not as big as Warbirds, which draws historic aircraft from everywhere, but it's still well worth seeing.

Maintaining all those aircraft in flying condition is horrendously expensive. It's all paid for by David Lowy, the son of Frank Lowy, who owns Westfield.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I'd also add that Temora is 250km from Bathurst, so "hitting" Temora on a trip to Bathurst probably isn't viable.

The point is that both are major outdoor activities, with large crowds, with similar weather & ground conditions forecast. The people at the Temora Aviation Museum have already cancelled their big event. I can't see Bathurst being stopped, but I can see large areas being closed to the public, on safety grounds.

Back