Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
how good is Archer Reid. Any good for one of our 1st picks.

Unsure... But his brother at the bummers is having another severely interrupted pre-season due to worrying back injuries! All teams would want to do their medical due diligence on him, that's for sure.

Could be very well positioned next year. Depending where port finish up we could get b one of he multiple key forwards and also Curtin as a key defender. Giving us our bookends for the future
Yes true but for example what would the NMFC do if s**t kilda try to offer Max King to us for a 1st round pick weather it’s the one of us or the one that port gave us for mummy’s boy JHF.
You would have to think about it

Yep, we’ll known the Caddy’s as being a big North family.

His old man Saul (who is a legend of the Northern Footy League) is a North fanatic and good mates with Boomer Harvey.

Nate was at Boomers house on the second night of the draft for when Coopers name was read out.
Hopefully they’ve told him to put the cue on the rack after he shows a bit

He’s pretty much a nailed on first round pick anyway, so it’s whether or not we taking him at our early pick or our later pick.
Our two first rounders should really be a kpf (potential man mountain) and a zippy small forward

If the draft was now I’d be very confident in taking him in the top 5
I am also in the same boat in that I think that he is a generational small forward prospect.

I would take him within the top 5 if I were us (if there was an ability to get a KPF some other way). For me obviously based on limited watching before next year kicks into gear for us I’d have it:
1. Harley Reid
2. Dan Curtin
3. Archer Reid
4. Nick Watson

However, I see club land viewing the likes of Moir, Duursma & Caddy higher than him, which could push him to the latter part of the top 10 and this isn’t accounting for any bolters/sliders.

Yes true but for example what would the NMFC do if s**t kilda try to offer Max King to us for a 1st round pick weather it’s the one of us or the one that port gave us for mummy’s boy JHF.
You would have to think about it
Why would they do that?
They won’t but if Clarkson says let’s try and get him you be foolish to say no I think we have a better chance getting his brother

I just posted this on the main board which reminded me I hadn’t posted it here.

I was chatting to an older afl player on the weekend and he was saying it’s accepted as fact at club land that some clubs are “tanking” with a view to get elite draft talent now before the tassie team comes in.

Obviously something that’s been speculated on but it had more gravitas coming from someone within the afl.

I was chatting to an older afl player on the weekend and he was saying it’s accepted as fact at club land that some clubs are “tanking” with a view to get elite draft talent now before the tassie team comes in.

Obviously something that’s been speculated on but it had more gravitas coming from someone within the afl.

That'd be a risky pursuit IMO.

The clubs who were thriving in the 2010-12 expansion team period still retooled well enough to be contending again within the next decade.

I'd definitely say West Coast and Hawks. Who else do you think? Be rather ironic if GWS are tanking because a Tassie team is going to pilfer all the good talent. GC are definitely looking at improving, same with St Kilda. Crows just sold the farm for Rankine and * will always be s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That'd be a risky pursuit IMO.

The clubs who were thriving in the 2010-12 expansion team period still retooled well enough to be contending again within the next decade.

True but a lot of that was built of elite draft picks earlier. I think the theory is take your medicine now, get Harley Reid’s etc into your club, and be contending when tassie comes in.

I'd definitely say West Coast and Hawks. Who else do you think? Be rather ironic if GWS are tanking because a Tassie team is going to pilfer all the good talent. GC are definitely looking at improving, same with St Kilda. Crows just sold the farm for Rankine and * will always be s**t.

Hawks are clearly doing it. People forget they tried to push out top 10 players last year as well.

West coast are in desperate need of it. They have the worst u25 list in the comp by far. Their problem is they are still about 1-2 years away from not being middle of the road assuming a healthy list.

True but a lot of that was built of elite draft picks earlier. I think the theory is take your medicine now, get Harley Reid’s etc into your club, and be contending when tassie comes in.

The premise makes sense and absolutely believe your intel. But the kid who looks like it's worth remortgaging your club for 12 months out often doesn't end up the saviour as promised.

The premise makes sense and absolutely believe your intel. But the kid who looks like it's worth remortgaging your club for 12 months out often doesn't end up the saviour as promised.

I think maybe more of it is about not being mid table. You’d think Scott wouldn’t want to start off with * with 9th placed finishes like he did with us. Lyon as well, i could see him prepared to start off with a down year in order to boost elite young talent.

That makes sense to me. For mine we saw first hand that you do not want to be building once compromised drafts come in. Our timing looks okay on this so far, we should be well on the trail if and when a team is introduced.

LIVE from 11am AEST: AFL Indigenous Academy v AFL Multicultural Academy

Multicultural under 18’s Vs Indigenous Under 18’s currently playing, wonder if any of the follow Tas based players are linked to our academy?

Indigenous Academy Side

Max Geappen (TAS)
Leo Blair (TAS)

Multicultural Academy Side

Tiernan McCormack (TAS)
Olly Woodcock-Davis (TAS)

Hi guys, l come in peace.
Just wondering what your thoughts are on the McKay free agency situation next year.
I would expect you'd receive a round 1 compo if he we're to leave but for a player of his stature that's probably a break even scenario at best. The benefits being just salary cap and age reset.
Which way do you think your club would swing?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the McKay free agency situation next year.
I would expect you'd receive a round 1 compo if he we're to leave but for a player of his stature that's probably a break even scenario at best. The benefits being just salary cap and age reset.

He’s about to turn 25 so age wise we’d want to keep him. Ability wise we’d want to keep him.

There wouldn’t be a factor that would make him leaving any remote benefit.

He’s an RFA and we have cap space so I’d imagine we’d match any bid and just keep him regardless

I think the club would do just about anything to keep him.

l will say this..pre Clarko there was a chance but now that Clarko is here there is no way he is leaving...he is very happy now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back