Analysis If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest player of all time?

If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest pla

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pla
Played his peak years at GC.
LOL. You’re a mess. Even stuttering now!

This is what he achieved at Geelong in 07 - 10:

2× AFL premiership player: 2007, 2009
1 x Brownlow Medal: 2009
3 x Leigh Matthews Trophy: 2007, 2008, 2009,
3× AFLCA champion player of the year award: 2007, 2008, 2009
4 x All-Australian team: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
2× Carji Greeves Medal: 2007, 2009

His peak was 2007 to 2014.

Dusty has a unique record in Grand Finals unmatched by any other player which gives this some credence.

But you can’t be named the greatest player of all time off a sample size of four games, that would be an obtuse way of measuring things. And I wouldn’t have thought his career record was in the top 20. Leigh Matthews is the obvious choice with a handful of others that are Lebron/Chamberlain to Leigh Matthew’s Jordan.

LOL. You’re a mess. Even stuttering now!

This is what he achieved at Geelong in 07 - 10:

2× AFL premiership player: 2007, 2009
1 x Brownlow Medal: 2009
3 x Leigh Matthews Trophy: 2007, 2008, 2009,
3× AFLCA champion player of the year award: 2007, 2008, 2009
4 x All-Australian team: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
2× Carji Greeves Medal: 2007, 2009

His peak was 2007 to 2014.

Interesting how he performed in the coaches votes post 2009 … I had assumed he won a couple but he didn’t. Having said that he performed very well in a team not winning many games. 2010 the biggest surprise to be 44 votes behind Swan as GAJ was great that year.

2010: 6th in the coach’s award with 70 votes. Winner was Swan with 114.

2011: 5th in the coach’s votes with 80. Marc Murphy won with 94.

2012: 3rd in coach’s votes with 92. Cotchin won with 107.

2013: 2nd in coach’s votes with 95, 1 behind Pendlebury.

2014 & 2015 : injury affected.

2016: not in top-20

2017: 16th with 61 votes. Martin won with 122.

2018-2020: not in top 20.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judging by the hundreds of posts from Geelong and a certain Collingwood supporter it’s done a fantastic job of reeling some in over the last 6 weeks.

Agreed, but it's also managed ro rustle some Tiger fans.

If Dusty was a more consistent home and away star/proven player (aside from his amazing brownlow season which was extraordinary) I would almost be prepared to annoint him the GOAT now, but I don't think he has, but it's also a credit to him and Dimma that he was built for finals.

He is a champion of the game and future Legend of the Aussie Rules Hall of Fame, definitely in the top 5 players I have ever seen in my lifetime though (if I am honest)

It is good laugh how much interest Geelong supporters have shown in this thread.
It’s almost like the word Dusty just triggers them 🤭
You reckon it's more about Richmond/Dusty triggering Geelong supporters, or they fact they're in disbelief (reasonably so) that Martin is mentioned by you guys in the same sentence as Ablett Snr and Jnr?

You reckon it's more about Richmond/Dusty triggering Geelong supporters, or they fact they're in disbelief (reasonably so) that Martin is mentioned by you guys in the same sentence as Ablett Snr and Jnr?
It's more the preposterous notion he's the best player ever

I mean really

Even the tiger apologists acknowledge that a stretch too far

Look, I know Geelong winning the flag last year that 98% of Richmond “fans” already had penciled in as theirs is quite a bruise to the ego but you’ve just gotta accept it.

Perhaps if you had’ve won more games that “didn’t matter” during the year you would’ve been in a better position to at least win a single final in 2022. Accept some responsibility and blame yourselves, not us for your fail.

Oh and you’re.. ;)
This is the real nut of it all

Tiger fans hate Geelong because we stole "their" flag.

Echoes of trump

This is the real nut of it all

Tiger fans hate Geelong because we stole "their" flag.

Echoes of trump
Richmond were never a realistic chance of winning.

It just goes to show their delusion runs deeper than this thread.

The funniest part is it was Brisbane who knocked them over, the team that we spanked silly in the prelim. The Tigs weren't in the same realm as us in 2022, it's a mystery how Geelong winning it when their mob never looked likely caused so much ass-tearing. :grinv1:
Stengle could have made the difference. It makes you wonder how their talent spotters could get it so wrong.

It just goes to show what a decent culture can do for a kid.

The funniest part is it was Brisbane who knocked them over, the team that we spanked silly in the prelim. The Tigs weren't in the same realm as us in 2022, it's a mystery how Geelong winning it when their mob never looked likely caused so much ass-tearing. :grinv1:
It was about time you won one after so many failures under Scott in finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back