Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 3 - Saints v Bombers Sat April 1st 7:25pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Saints will drop off at some point will be very hard to keep playing like this all season imo

Freo players were cooked by end of Ross tenure its a taxing game style

I think the game plan is sustainable because the defense is good. It will be able to absorb when our intensity drops off.

Whats not sustainable is all these injuries.

I think Saints will drop off at some point will be very hard to keep playing like this all season imo
If it’s the same 22 every week, sure. System is holding up very nicely though, if they can win games without their best players and they get them back in September, who knows.

Why didn't North Melbourne want Mason Wood?

Was an incredibly frustrating player at North. Every 6 months, for 5 minutes or so he looked like the greatest player of all time but went completely missing for all the rest.

Out of everyone we delisted over 2020-2021 he was probably the stiffest, but i think he probably needed the new environment and the near-career-death experience to get his act together. Happy for him, was great to watch tonight

edit: oh, and also probably because Cam Zurhaar pushed him out of the third tall position, and at the time he was behind Larkey and Brown. It was silly to delist him when we were also trading Brown, but we had a lot of confidence in Charlie Comben to come on sooner rather than later. That's turned out to be later.

Keeping heppel in the side after being subbed last week sends a bad message

Stringer usuallys take 1-2 games to get going
Im thinking we need him doing that in the vfl.
Voss is banging the door down and we pick stringer on talent.

Hobbs should have been an emergency and hepp named on the bench to come out

Impotent fwd line with an unconditioned stringer, weideman and jones in, plus langford playing back.
We've gotta be the only club that shifts a player back a week after kicking 5.

Must be so frustrating for Bombers fans.

If you were just flat out terrible, you could at least accept that and plan accordingly. But there were passages of great footy, and players who show glimpses of talent.....just can't seem to consistently string it together and become a genuinely good team.
Need a chb to get laverde out of the team, and a chf and decent 2nd ruck to get weid and jones out.

We have a mid for heppell....but he's playing vfl this week. You'd love him. Reminds me of a young bartel. Loves pressure and the physical contest
No good for this game

If it’s the same 22 every week, sure. System is holding up very nicely though, if they can win games without their best players and they get them back in September, who knows.

Anyone mentioning September in April is surely taking the piss. We're up at the moment but we'll have bad times as well this year especially if injuries don't start improving. Making finals would be amazing all things considered.

didnt say i accept it losing.......... but the reality is we are a very inexperienced team
Screenshot 2023-04-01 233758.png
jeez so inexperienced
Party at the Moorabbin disco tonight everyone is invited😎✌️
as they always have been
they are missing around 5 best 22 players, we are missing 4, plus our number draft pick is injured. Not as depleted as everyone is suggesting
we have 5 players left in the VFL who can play

I'd say 7 for us based on the past, but not sure all 7 would play under Ross
Steele
King
Membrey
Billings
McKenzie
Coffield
Hayes
and maybe even Jones possibly although I don't want him

but still, 2 of our 2 KPF's have 4 games of experience and Cordy has been a backman all of his career and is helping Marshall Ruck and Owens has 10 games exp Higgins and Butler only players with experience

Need a chb to get laverde out of the team, and a chf and decent 2nd ruck to get weid and jones out.

We have a mid for heppell....but he's playing vfl this week. You'd love him. Reminds me of a young bartel. Loves pressure and the physical contest
No good for this game
What's happened to Laverde he's fallen off a cliff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1646935
jeez so inexperienced

as they always have been

we have 5 players left in the VFL who can play

I'd say 7 for us based on the past, but not sure all 7 would play under Ross
Steele
King
Membrey
Billings
McKenzie
Coffield
Hayes
and maybe even Jones possibly although I don't want him

but still, 2 of our 2 KPF's have 4 games of experience and Cordy has been a backman all of his career and is helping Marshall Ruck and Owens has 10 games exp Higgins and Butler only players with experience
On a night that called for small forwards yours had over 200 games experience, ours had 7 games.

Our turnovers were horrendous tonight, 80 percent of your score came from them. That's what cost us, not ages of the teams

Bloke was playing as a meh 3rd tall, a change of clubs and positions changed his career.

Some players just need that change and it appears to be a great one for Wood.

On a night that called for small forwards yours had over 200 games experience, ours had 7 games.

Our turnovers were horrendous tonight, 80 percent of your score came from them. That's what cost us, not ages of the teams

You also let Wilkie rack up 13 intercept marks from just bombing it inside 50 all night. That's what we normally do.

Just got home, some observations from the game:
  • I'm going to love/hate watching Davey Jnr play in a few years, he's going to be incredible
  • Caminiti's not useless when the ball's on the ground, which is great to see from a young key forward
  • First time I think I've seen Owens in person, he's a big boy. Hoping to get some key forwards back soon so he can be unleashed in the midfield

so ignore what I was replying to, I wasn't the one blaming it on inexperience.

Butler 108 games
Higgins 83 games doesn't equal over 200..............

just off the teamsheets
redman 83 Owens 10
Ridley 71 Camaniti 3
Kelly 134 Pillapou 3
Laverde 94 Higgins 83
McGrath 114 Butler 108
and I believe Langford was back most of the game 110 games Cordy 121

gee wiz all that experience

they are missing around 5 best 22 players, we are missing 4, plus our number draft pick is injured. Not as depleted as everyone is suggesting

Saints
King
Steele
Membrey
Billings
Webster
Zac Jones

thats 6

Ess
2 meter Peter
And maybe Weideman who wasnt in Melbourbes best 2
Cox possibly

So who else? Cox, Stewart, Reid we’re not consistent starters in 2022.

Back