VFL GWS VFL 2023 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Fahey's numbers from yesterday's game. While I didn't watch the game, the highlights package for Fahey are decent, and the general reports are pretty good. He must be making a solid case for inclusion in the top team.

To a similar end, Max Gruzewski is a bit of a surprise packet in the 2s. I had put him to the back of my mind at the start of the year given his injury (which was similar to a junior injury, so I'll admit I thought "here we go again") but he seemed pretty impressive yesterday (again from the highlights and general reports). I'm not suggesting that he'll be selected next week, but he seems both mobile and able to take a grab. At 193 cm he's similar in height to Charlie Curnow, perhaps as mobile too. I can only hope that a Cadman-Gruzewski KPF combo might be as fruitful one day as McKay-Curnow is for Carlton. It will be useful for he, Cadman & Derksen to put pressure on HH & Riccardi in the firsts.

Should have included this write-up in that last post:

This weekend: GWS Giants v Carlton at Giants Stadium, Saturday April 1, 12.55pm AEDT

MATCH CENTRE Check out all the stats from GWS's clash

A senior debut may not be too far away for 2021 draft pick Josh Fahey after the midfielder gathered a whopping 40 disposals and 10 marks in the Giants’ 39-point win over the Blues on Saturday. Injury cut short Fahey’s debut season last year but the club recently signed him to a two-year contract extension, suggesting he is well and truly in future plans.

At the other end of the career path, former AFL skipper Phil Davis got through the game intact and picked up 16 disposals and seven marks along the way.

All eyes were on Aaron Cadman after a quiet VFL debut last week, the 2022 No.1 draft pick stepping up with three goals from 10 touches against the Blues.

Max Gruzewski, 18, also impressed up forward, grabbing nine marks and kicking four goals, while Wade Derksen slotted two majors.

After two years playing in the Giants’ VFL team Cameron Fleeton is another waiting for an AFL debut, the 20-year-old doing himself no harm with 21 disposals and a match-high 13 marks.

Big man Kieren Briggs was strong in the ruck with 28 hitouts and six clearances among his 16 disposals.

What happened to Jones and his knee?
Draftee Darcy Jones has torn his ACL, with the small forward to meet with a surgeon this week.

AFL Listed Players:

1. Phil Davis

16 disposals, 7 marks

Our general in the back half, he defended really well and helped in our offensive ball movement. He’s just so reliable and his direction and leadership is invaluable at VFL level.

5. Aaron Cadman

3 goals, 10 disposals

Another really promising game from Aaron this week. His ability to compete and his pressure was elite throughout the entire contest. He took a few nice marks and converted well; he’s tracking in the right direction.

9. Ryan Angwin

10 disposals, 2 tackles

Solid once again. He played his role really diligently and worked incredibly hard up and down the ground.

25. Lachlan Keeffe

12 disposals, 6 marks

I don’t think he lost a contest. He set us up really well behind the ball and his chase-down tackle was game changing for us in a critical moment.

29. Cameron Fleeton

21 disposals, 13 marks

It was another typical Cam Fleeton performance on Saturday afternoon. He hates been beaten and got involved heavily in our ball movement.

31. Toby McMullin

10 disposals, 4 marks

He took a really good step again. It was a typical small forward performance, he created opportunity and his forward pressure was crucial.

32. Kieren Briggs

16 disposals, 28 hit-outs

Another solid game in the ruck. He played an important role, especially in the air, and was really composed with the ball in hand. He been our most consistent player so far.

34. Josh Fahey

43 disposals, 10 marks

We all saw what he’s capable of with the ball in hand. He made great decisions with the ball in hand and gives us great drive out of the back half. The best part of his performance was his defensive ability this week.

35. Max Gruzewski

4 goals, 9 marks

For just his second game at VFL level he looked like an experienced key forward. His body work was amazing, and he converted his hard work onto the scoreboard. It was another great step forward and a real confidence boost for him.

Gruzewski obviously not going to kick 4 goals every week but his marking was super impressive and even more so considering the conditions but think he plays footy this year just how soon. If Riccardi continues at his level and Gruzewski keeps playing at a high level in the VFL he's a decent chance to play sooner then we first thought.

I thought Max and Derkson looked ahead of Cadman atm. Body size will be Cadmans difficulty early on until he can put in a few more kg’s. But he does have a some nice skills he showed. He doesn’t need much space to score to hit the scoreboard or be a damaging player.
Definitely can see. Cadman/ Gruz combo causing serious headaches for other teams in the future

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought Max and Derkson looked ahead of Cadman atm. Body size will be Cadmans difficulty early on until he can put in a few more kg’s. But he does have a some nice skills he showed. He doesn’t need much space to score to hit the scoreboard or be a damaging player.
Definitely can see. Cadman/ Gruz combo causing serious headaches for other teams in the future

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Watching Derkson interact with the kids at Blacktown for the trial was super impressive.

Seemed like a wonderful person. I didnt recognise him by sight so looked up to see who he was. Added him to my favourites.

11.45 today for the game for those that can watch
Coburg coming off 2 big losses to start the season but with the Giants reserves always hit and miss and more so with the away games
Hoping for no injuries and good displays from the listed players in the midfield in XOH, Angwin, Hamilton and Peatling. They may put time into Fahey coming out of defence so hopefully if they do he can work out of it
With the talls hopefully Cadman continues working into the game and having impact on the scoreboard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11.45 today for the game for those that can watch
Coburg coming off 2 big losses to start the season but with the Giants reserves always hit and miss and more so with the away games
Hoping for no injuries and good displays from the listed players in the midfield in XOH, Angwin, Hamilton and Peatling. They may put time into Fahey coming out of defence so hopefully if they do he can work out of it
With the talls hopefully Cadman continues working into the game and having impact on the scoreboard
Cadman isn’t playing so hopefully it’s not injury related

Phil Davis appeared to have a leg injury in the second term. Commentators mentioned possible groin.

He has yet to return to the ground after half time.

State league affiliate: GWS Giants (VFL)
This weekend: Coburg v GWS Giants at Piranha Park, Saturday April 8, 11.45am AEST

MATCH CENTRE Check out all the stats from GWS's clash

Ruckman Keiren Briggs stood tall in the Giants’ 46-point win against Coburg on Saturday, gathering 27 hitouts, 24 disposals and a massive 16 clearances.

Xavier O’Halloran was also big around stoppages with 10 clearances among his 22 disposals.

Josh Fahey continued his impressive early-season form, following a 42-disposal outing last week with another match-high effort of 33 against the Lions to keep his name in the selectors’ minds for an AFL debut. [NOTE: Match Centre says 37 disposals]

Wade Derkson dominated up forward with five goals, while fellow rookies Jason Gilbee (21 touches) and James Peatling (16) kicked one goal each.

Max Gruzewski followed his mini-bag of four last round with two on Saturday, but was relatively quiet.

Callum Brown took 11 marks to go with 23 disposals, Cameron Fleeton had 16 touches and a goal, and Ryan Angwin got the ball 14 times.

Possessions were harder to come by down back, with veteran duo Lachie Keeffe (10 disposals) and Phil Davis (five) not seeing so much of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back