Review Round 4, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw it as just trying to give more weight to their current hypotheses. Collingwood, Melbourne and Carlton are the top teams, Collingwood is the flag favourite, Brisbane is only good at the Gabba and this was probably an anomaly. All fair opinions but flags aren't won at the end of Round 4.

I didn't watch the Sunday night Fox Footy show with David King but according to the article Kingy spent his time praising Collingwood - I actually agree with him, high risk game plan and it doesn't always come off but they've won 15 of 17 so it's obviously working for the most part - tendency for the media to overreact and I've seen plenty of "Collingwood have been found out" takes - they will be right up there obviously
Gee this guy loves Collingwood atm. I don’t think what they do is revolutionary at all and you can argue that their game style on Friday was actually very stupid.

All they do is a play a high press to protect their suss back 6 and try free up Nick Daicos. Not that groundbreaking. Best way to counter an all out attack team is to just keep your structure. They were out of position so many times on turnover and we picked them off at will. At one stage it was looking like a 10-12 win.

Their game style in hot/ sweaty conditions at the Gabba was always going lend itself to early fatigue and turnovers. We pretty much just had to defend well and pick our moments which we did.

You could say they lost the game in the coaches box tbh. Instead King is reeling off contradictory arguments and saying this all or nothing approach is the way to go. I think most premiership teams and dynasties have been built on balance not Russian roulette.

I saw it a different way, he still praised Fagan and the team for how we played and worked to take away Collingwood’s advantage. BUT, our strategy, while it worked, was very high risk, and a team with lesser personnel or lesser execution on the day wouldn’t have been as successful and Collingwood would’ve come out on top.
I agree you could see it that way. I just felt there was a fair bit going on in between the lines of what he was saying. He wasn't saying it outright, but I felt he was implying that there was as as least as much luck as there was skill in what happened . . . .and maybe a bit more more luck than skill.

I didn't watch the Sunday night Fox Footy show with David King but according to the article Kingy spent his time praising Collingwood - I actually agree with him, high risk game plan and it doesn't always come off but they've won 15 of 17 so it's obviously working for the most part - tendency for the media to overreact and I've seen plenty of "Collingwood have been found out" takes - they will be right up there obviously
Collingwood are just Tigers 2.0 and it really isn’t anything new.

A Kingy special.

'Now I know they leaked 10 goals in a row in the 2nd quarter but......'

Ok.Cool. Leak 10 goals IN A ROW , no problem.

The problem with playing this game style is that you need exceptional cattle to sustain it over a season . Sooner or late fatigue or injuries or both take their toll.

Collingwood have built their game off the back of contested possession and a clearance game particularly this year.
That was never really the Tigers go to.
They built their game off turn over and pressure.
Collingwood have definitely built another layer to the Richmond game.
But when we are on I think we are building a defensive system that will be able to stop them and bounce on turnover ourselves.
But our game is predominantly built on the contest as well.

A Kingy special.

The problem with playing this game style is that you need exceptional cattle to sustain it over a season . Sooner or late fatigue or injuries or both take their toll.
Made me LOL as as well. Just 10 goals in a row - no big deal, nothing to see here!

There anyone in their 20’s in here at all? I think I’m the age of some people grandkids on here.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
sweat sweating GIF

A Kingy special.

Well they did last year and IMHO should have beaten Geelong so I wouldnt discount them yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

man . . .change it to . . . Bow River or something . . .or at least a John Denver song that does not mention such an obvious foreign location. Or maybe Brisbane band, Regurgitator's ode to Eddie McGuire, "Sucked a lot of C***k"
I mean, could be West Virginia (North Brisbane). Though if you're taking country roads you've definitely gone the wrong way!!!

Collingwood have built their game off the back of contested possession and a clearance game particularly this year.
That was never really the Tigers go to.
They built their game off turn over and pressure.
Collingwood have definitely built another layer to the Richmond game.
But when we are on I think we are building a defensive system that will be able to stop them and bounce on turnover ourselves.
But our game is predominantly built on the contest as well.
We are also implementing a new defensive setup, it will take a while to bed down and become 2nd nature to the players.

If you didnt know the outcome of our game and saw that show, you seriously would have thought that the Pies won the game such was his praise for the Pies - save for Montagna talking positively about us late in the show, Kings analysis was very Collingwood driven - bit annoying tbh.

collingwood built an entire system around feeding nick daicos the ball 40 times a game
Maybe we need to create a entire new system in 2025, just for Will Ashcroft and Levi Ashcroft to have 40 disposals each per game as well :think:

I listened to King on SEN and had to laugh when Derm said one thing - they need a plan B. Our favourite topic around herr! Then King said name one premiership side with a plan B, Derm changed the subject. It had me shaking my head. Call it stemming the flow, slowing it down, stop / go. Every side has a plan b! Early lions 2000s plan B was swap Lynch and Leppitsch and Keating bashes it forward.

I am very much wanting to see that intensity on the road and the next 2 weeks worry me in provincial grounds. But i thought that was a bloody impressive win.

Collingwood looked untouchable early. So slick, so many options. The way we responded in terms of tactics and intent was so encouraging. We showed as a team we could roll our sleeves up. We showed as a defensive group we could put the brakes on a hot side. And our much maligned coaches (me as guilty as anyone) seemed to have an effective gameplan for the hottest team in the league.

Perhaps the pies hit a wall, shorter break etc. But they didn’t just stop. We stopped them.

One big caveat is our sprint efforts. Pies 293 lions 244. Maybe we are more efficient? Got a bit lucky? Overrated stat? I like it as a stat as it speaks to whether we actually spread on attack, and genuinely cover our man in defence.

Daniher - I didn’t care about his kicking last week, it was about effort and teamwork. If he puts in that much effort every week he’s in our top 5.

Hippy - how good was that hit. More of that please.

Joyce - could he be playing gardiner out of a spot? Seems really solid. Mobile but good size.

Clugga - thought a small improvement. But a shadow of himself. Maybe just needs confidence? On the plus side if he gets back to form what a bonus.

Zorko - his goal-kicking is back after about 4 years off. Weird but good.

Prior - hit up an option on the wing from the back pocket at one point with such a nice low and fast kick. If he can do that regularly Rich’s spot is all his.

Payne - growing in confidence. No longer looks like he needs new linen every time he picks it up near goal.

I listened to King on SEN and had to laugh when Derm said one thing - they need a plan B. Our favourite topic around herr! Then King said name one premiership side with a plan B, Derm changed the subject. It had me shaking my head. Call it stemming the flow, slowing it down, stop / go. Every side has a plan b! Early lions 2000s plan B was swap Lynch and Leppitsch and Keating bashes it forward.

I am very much wanting to see that intensity on the road and the next 2 weeks worry me in provincial grounds. But i thought that was a bloody impressive win.

Collingwood looked untouchable early. So slick, so many options. The way we responded in terms of tactics and intent was so encouraging. We showed as a team we could roll our sleeves up. We showed as a defensive group we could put the brakes on a hot side. And our much maligned coaches (me as guilty as anyone) seemed to have an effective gameplan for the hottest team in the league.

Perhaps the pies hit a wall, shorter break etc. But they didn’t just stop. We stopped them.

One big caveat is our sprint efforts. Pies 293 lions 244. Maybe we are more efficient? Got a bit lucky? Overrated stat? I like it as a stat as it speaks to whether we actually spread on attack, and genuinely cover our man in defence.

Daniher - I didn’t care about his kicking last week, it was about effort and teamwork. If he puts in that much effort every week he’s in our top 5.

Hippy - how good was that hit. More of that please.

Joyce - could he be playing gardiner out of a spot? Seems really solid. Mobile but good size.

Clugga - thought a small improvement. But a shadow of himself. Maybe just needs confidence? On the plus side if he gets back to form what a bonus.

Zorko - his goal-kicking is back after about 4 years off. Weird but good.

Prior - hit up an option on the wing from the back pocket at one point with such a nice low and fast kick. If he can do that regularly Rich’s spot is all his.

Payne - growing in confidence. No longer looks like he needs new linen every time he picks it up near goal.

RE the KM and sprint efforts, it had everything to do with our efficiency on turnover. Because of the Pies gameplan, almost every turnover led to an easy scoring op for us. When we turned the ball over in general play, our backline was still generally set up so we could at least create a contest or force them into a low % spot for a shot on goal.

There anyone in their 20’s in here at all? I think I’m the age of some people grandkids on here.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We're old but young at heart.

And thanks to failing memories, we forget the lessons of a lifetime and act like we are 20 year olds. So you fit right in.

Back