Review Round 5, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

And where's 3KZ is Football ? Do you feel uncomfortable turning up when you can't lambast Fagan?

Ok, I'll have a go in his place.

Acceptable win I guess. Should've been a 100 point win though. Probably would've been if Fagan didn't insist on playing his pets.

Or if Lester played ;)
Did I mention I’m in Bali? 😂
I was intending to pop in and offer the following observations, based on not seeing the game, hearing 15 minutes of the last quarter and looking at the stats. Fagan has started to get some things right. This is what I have been advocating for and this is what he did:
1. Including Fort and plonking one of the big men in the forward line as a third tall.
2. Getting Lyons into the team. So many posters were potting Lyons 🫵 and claiming he was slow and only depth, but he is fit and on the road back. Lyons is a GUN!

So, it took a while, but Fagan came around to my way of thinking.

Still not convinced about Rich. He performed statistically worse against North (who will be bottom 4) than Prior did against flag favourites Collingwood. Worryingly, Rich also did not lay a single tackle for the game. Then again, there were nine other players who didn’t lay a tackle and we won by over 12 goals, so that can happen.

I note in the write up on the AFL website that Mathieson and Robertson both played blinders in the two’s They are both polishing their CV’s before they head off at the end of the year.

Finally, I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but I’ve stopped calling for Lester’s return.

PS. Mick Malthouse gave Harris Andrews a good old fashioned BAKE in the last quarter on the ABC call for playing off his man and being lazy. He said he’s been doing it for the last two of three years. Very uncomplimentary. I didn’t see the play, so I can’t comment on whether it was fair, but I will say Andrews does need to play closer to his opponent. I’ll send Fages an e-mail.

I thought Lyons went OK. Was able to hold his man and create space for Neale at centre bounces. Same at stoppages. Didn't really notice his run, he did find himself in space a few times looking to receive, more fwd than back tho. No idea of his stats. Played inside mid only, so was allowed to play to his strength. Not sure he offers more than Dev if Dev's given the same inside role instead of a wing /mid role he usually gets as sub. Others impressions may be different, there was so much going on that I wasn't completely focused on him.
I like Dev, but Lyons is a class above Robertson.

I was intending to pop in and offer the following observations, based on not seeing the game, hearing 15 minutes of the last quarter and looking at the stats. Fagan has started to get some things right. This is what I have been advocating for and this is what he did:
1. Including Fort and plonking one of the big men in the forward line as a third tall.
2. Getting Lyons into the team. So many posters were potting Lyons 🫵 and claiming he was slow and only depth, but he is fit and on the road back. Lyons is a GUN!

Still not convinced about Rich. He performed statistically worse against North (who will be bottom 4) than Prior did against flag favourites Collingwood. Worryingly, Rich also did not lay a single tackle for the game. Then again, there were nine other players who didn’t lay a tackle and we won by over 12 goals, so that can happen.

I note in the write up on the AFL website that Mathieson and Robertson both played blinders in the two’s They are both polishing their CV’s before they head off at the end of the year.

Finally, I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but I’ve stopped calling for Lester’s return.

PS. Mick Malthouse gave Harris Andrews a good old fashioned BAKE in the last quarter on the ABC call for playing off his man and being lazy. He said he’s been doing it for the last two of three years. Very uncomplimentary. I didn’t see the play, so I can’t comment on whether it was fair, but I will say Andrews does need to play closer to his opponent. I’ll send Fages an e-mail.

Thank goodness Fagan read your posts & came to his senses.

The Lester bit was purely tongue in cheek. I love him to bits too.

Enjoy Bali ;)

I thought Lyons went OK. Was able to hold his man and create space for Neale at centre bounces. Same at stoppages. Didn't really notice his run, he did find himself in space a few times looking to receive, more fwd than back tho. No idea of his stats. Played inside mid only, so was allowed to play to his strength. Not sure he offers more than Dev if Dev's given the same inside role instead of a wing /mid role he usually gets as sub. Others impressions may be different, there was so much going on that I wasn't completely focused on him.
Id agree with this. Lyons was solid enough and really made no mistakes I can remember. Maybe even had 1 or 2 really nice kicks inside 50.

But against that opposition with so little pressure late in the game I'm not sure you can read much into it. Pretty sure most of our back up inside mids could have done much the same

Thank goodness Fagan read your posts & came to his senses.

The Lester bit was purely tongue in cheek. I love him to bits too.

Enjoy Bali ;)
Lester is waiting in the wings!

Embarrassing stuff from Mick that. Harris was excellent.

I like Dev, but Lyons is a class above Robertson.
Experience wise yes, effort wise I'm not so sure. It's hard to compare when Lyons only plays inside and Dev gets wing/mid time when he gets the opportunity in the firsts so isn't getting his preferred experience. Dev had another very good game in the Vfl, 25 touches, 12 clearances, 2 goals. Lyons been killing it in the Vfl too, but I do take your point and agree to a degree. Is it that Lyons experience makes him look a class above in the Vfl but his limitations (two way run and lack of speed) can be a problem in the firsts, where as Dev has run and effort but not the experience in his best role. Regardless, both are in very good form, both can come in and play a role if needed in the firsts. It's a long season.

Watched bits and pieces of quite a few games this round and gotta say our foot skills in general play yesterday looked sharp compared to most other teams especially hitting targets in the forward line after turn overs.

The 2nd best thing - David King shut his one eyed mouth mid second Qtr and for the rest of the game the commentary wasn't bad.

Best thing - The Lions put their foot on the throat of North and for the rest of the game they pressed down and choked them until the end, a great full game performance.

There is a lot working well now - I thought McCluggage, Bailey and Linc McArthy all found a bit of form - or at least got hands on ball.

Joe, Hippy, Charlie, and Rayner is working now, they are looking for each other playing unselfish footy - our potent forward line is/was working.

Midfield is sharing the load more now, Neale is becoming a leader and Zorko is bringing the energy.

Harris is back to his best, Payne fits is and Joyce is a great pick up, Gardnier can wait a bit to come in.

Embarrassing stuff from Mick that. Harris was excellent.
Did you hear it? I had no vision, so no way to know, but he dumped on Andrews. It’s not like the game was in the balance and a minute or so before in the call they were lauding Andrews for a pack busting thump of the ball by fist for a behind. Surely Malthouse can’t still be carrying the 2002 and 2003 chip around.

Experience wise yes, effort wise I'm not so sure. It's hard to compare when Lyons only plays inside and Dev gets wing/mid time when he gets the opportunity in the firsts so isn't getting his preferred experience. Dev had another very good game in the Vfl, 25 touches, 12 clearances, 2 goals. Lyons been killing it in the Vfl too, but I do take your point and agree to a degree. Is it that Lyons experience makes him look a class above in the Vfl but his limitations (two way run and lack of speed) can be a problem in the firsts, where as Dev has run and effort but not the experience in his best role. Regardless, both are in very good form, both can come in and play a role if needed in the firsts. It's a long season.
I’m going to post this, knowing it is a few years old, but watch Lyons just about win this game in the last quarter with pace and outside run. Kicks a goal, sets up Hippy who gets pinged and the flies outside grabs the pill and sets Charlie up for a goal. I think he is more versatile than people give him credit for. I guess he plays inside because, dare I say it, that’s his role.

Last edited:
I think we overestimate Dev because he is “young”. To me Lyons adds significantly more than Dev. Even just his knowhow and tactical nous. Did you see at the Quarter time breaks he’s strongly contributing to the discussions with the mids. It’s always been said that he prepares the most of the entire mid group before games.

Great post joshhem!
Then there are these showreels. Lyons has been an integral part of our rise. He was injured late last year, was omitted from the finals and suddenly the orthodoxy is that he is a one trick pony, who is slow and as one person put it, only a ‘depth player’. 🫵 As Midnight Oil sang, “short memories, must have a short memory.” I’m not buying the group think on Lyons. He is a natural footballer. Great by hand and foot, kicks goals, gives plenty away and is a clearance machine. In 2019 he was second in clearances behind Neale (189/139), in 2020 he was again second to Neale (103/98), in 2021 he led the club for clearances with Oscar second and Neale third (149/127/107) and last year, where he carried an injury, he was second behind Neale (191/123). Theses are some great numbers and certainly not those of a depth player.
I suggest people take a good look at these. Lyons is a gun footballer with a very very high football IQ. His positioning and ability to read the play are ELITE and he brings others into the game. I can see him coaching at the highest level after his playing career is over. You heard it first!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was good to see Lyons out there, but let’s just put it in a bit of perspective.

We’re not going to see the almost non-existent pressure offered by the Kangaroos in the last quarter replicated again this year.
Plenty of pressure in the clips I posted above.

Plenty of pressure in the clips I posted above.
Mate no offence but I’m not going back to watch highlights of 2019 when voicing an opinion on what we need in 2023.

Otherwise we may as well get Mitch Robinson and Stef Martin back.

Mate no offence but I’m not going back to watch highlights of 2019 when voicing an opinion on what we need in 2023.

Otherwise we may as well get Mitch Robinson and Stef Martin back.
… or select Rich because he was All Australian in 2021.

No offence taken. Watching the clips is not compulsory, but they are instructive, especially 2021 and 2022.

341314693_589570496443077_570779910791468470_n.png

Love this picture!

Lyons was fine but even this walkover demonstrated my main concern with him - the first or second centre bounce with him in there saw him about a metre of his man, so quite close. The player he was on received a handball and ran off him like we had left him completely unmarked.

Lyons also got a lot more time in the middle than he would otherwise get because Dunkley was parked forward for a lot of the last, presumably to avoid injury/bash and crash with the game decided. It was part of the reason I thought we'd pulled up stumps but it turned out I underestimated North's dedication to playing worse than our effort.

I think it's taking a few weeks to settle into our new midfield mix with Ashcroft and Dunkley joining but it looks to me like they're settling in nicely and we should be a bit more consistent as time goes on.

We want to be a better team then we were in 2019-2022

Upgrading our midfield group is a big part of that and it doesn't include Lyons
I didn’t realise you were on the selection panel? At least that explains why Rich came straight in. Why did you select Lyons as sub yesterday? Are you going to drop him next week?

I didn’t realise you were on the selection panel? At least that explains why Rich came straight in. Why did you select Lyons as sub yesterday? Are you going to drop him next week?

There was a good chance that it was going to be a very wet game and as such become a more inside and contested game. So Lyons was the perfect sub for those conditions especially when comparing against AhChee who would probably be a bit more of an outside player.

Lyons was fine but even this walkover demonstrated my main concern with him - the first or second centre bounce with him in there saw him about a metre of his man, so quite close. The player he was on received a handball and ran off him like we had left him completely unmarked.

Lyons also got a lot more time in the middle than he would otherwise get because Dunkley was parked forward for a lot of the last, presumably to avoid injury/bash and crash with the game decided. It was part of the reason I thought we'd pulled up stumps but it turned out I underestimated North's dedication to playing worse than our effort.
The bolded bit is sad but true .

If Lyons gets back to what he was two, three and four years ago we have a mid field that might go all the way. He was elite in these years.

I want him back to this level. I want Zorko to be injury free and Rich back to his best.

Back