Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

We want redman to replace simth..

doedee and smith arent like for like at all..

plus smith is contracted next season anyway..
Not like for like at all, but between the 2 of them they are the backline experience and leaders.

A defence of Worrell, Butts, Michaelanny, Milera, Murray and Parnell has experience as of today of 6, 54, 12, 85, 40 and 15 games.

This is just a crap situation for Tom and the club as well. As soon as he went off, unfortunately my mind went to whether it was an ACL and his out-of-contract status.

Brain injury can be devastating long-term, but nothing threatens AFL careers more than the dreaded ACL. It strikes from nowhere, some more than others. I hope he recovers well, and wherever Tom is next year I hope we can get the right outcome for him and the club. We have to look after the club's broader interests as well as his.

Sad for doedee

Probably best case for us is if we genuinely hadn’t started contract talks as withdrawing/reducing an offer does have likely negative cultural implications

If he had put off talks or even told us he was going then we are well in our right to let the market speak. If suddenly the market isn’t offering him enough to want to leave and we possibly get him cheap then so be it.

Although if we thought he was leaving and suddenly he he were to agree to a 2 year deal would/should we do it? There’s be a good chance it’s 2 and gone so the $ would basically be for 1.5 years if so.

Sad for doedee

Probably best case for us is if we genuinely hadn’t started contract talks as withdrawing/reducing an offer does have likely negative cultural implications

If he had put off talks or even told us he was going then we are well in our right to let the market speak. If suddenly the market isn’t offering him enough to want to leave and we possibly get him cheap then so be it.

Although if we thought he was leaving and suddenly he he were to agree to a 2 year deal would/should we do it? There’s be a good chance it’s 2 and gone so the $ would basically be for 1.5 years if so.
We would morally have to offer him an extension. Imho he is easily in our best players, was touted a future captain before injury stopped his progress. I hope he comes back and better.

At least we can go full bore with the Redmond deal as Doed's will be on the inactive list.

Really bad luck for Tom.

It's an interesting situation and while I think he has accepted terms with another club and that should still be on the table. It does make me think Managers should be pushing to get players out 12 months before their contract is up.

Sad for doedee

Absolutely spot on.

It's very sad for Tom and I wish him the best in his recovery.

As callous as it may sound, this could actually be a net positive for the club. I think he was gone at the end of the year, so this LTI forces us to play Worrell for the next 11 games which is a great result for the club.

If this ruins his big deal he had locked away with another club, then I would happily re-sign him at a much cheaper rate.

Absolutely spot on.

It's very sad for Tom and I wish him the best in his recovery.

As callous as it may sound, this could actually be a net positive for the club. I think he was gone at the end of the year, so this LTI forces us to play Worrell for the next 11 games which is a great result for the club.

If this ruins his big deal he had locked away with another club, then I would happily re-sign him at a much cheaper rate.
This.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad to hear about the ACL. It looks like Tom was off to another club so I hope they will still take him on. He likely will only miss about the first 8 rounds next year so I think he will be fine. It might affect the length of the deal unfortunately but hopefully it doesn't. I had the feeling Tom knew on the bench.

Not a chance Mostyn .....Redman's had 5 from 12 games as very average ....happy to produce the stats too, or you can look up

No, I don't want to spend $800K per year on Redman !

I understand the negative feedback on my POV ......no-one wants a Christmas Grinch spoiling their gift ....I get it
Redman has coaches votes in 7 out of 11 games prior to this round, with only Dawson and Laird having more votes for us, and Merrett for Essendon. So basically you're saying every game where he isn't 'very average' he's in the best half dozen players on the field as judged by the coaches. Which seems like pretty high praise to me.

Redman has coaches votes in 7 out of 11 games prior to this round, with only Dawson and Laird having more votes for us, and Merrett for Essendon. So basically you're saying every game where he isn't 'very average' he's in the best half dozen players on the field as judged by the coaches. Which seems like pretty high praise to me.
I wouldn’t bother, this is just Wayne’s latest attempt of trying to talk Redman down. Previously he said there was a big disparity in his performance in Essendon wins and losses, which was proven incorrect….

He’s said it’s madness to want to pay him what we wouldn’t pay Lever, which was 6 years ago….

He’s said we should be targeting mids without naming any….

He’s said we won’t be able to pay the rest of our “stars”, not taking into account our salary cap situation, how Redman will only be our 3rd recruit in 3 years and how other top clubs with confirmed stars keep bringing in players annually…..

He’s valuing Redman at $550k, enough said…….

I could get behind the argument that a rebounding half back is not our biggest need right now, since we have Smith, Hinge, Milera etc. But Redman is very good, and I can't see an inside mid we could pick up as an FA instead unfortunately, which is our primary 'need'.

Not a chance Mostyn .....Redman's had 5 from 12 games as very average ....happy to produce the stats too, or you can look up

No, I don't want to spend $800K per year on Redman !

I understand the negative feedback on my POV ......no-one wants a Christmas Grinch spoiling their gift ....I get it
You've also mentioned our lack of leadership in defence, that there isn't a marshall there to organise structures and lead. Minimal presence or direction from Butts and Murray. Maybe we see Redman as being able to fill that role

I could get behind the argument that a rebounding half back is not our biggest need right now, since we have Smith, Hinge, Milera etc. But Redman is very good, and I can't see an inside mid we could pick up as an FA instead unfortunately, which is our primary 'need'.
Smith is pretty much done. We do need a running half back but we also need an elite mid, a better ruck and another key forward as depth for when Walker retires. I see Hinge as a wing as he isn't great defensively.

You've also mentioned our lack of leadership in defence, that there isn't a marshall there to organise structures and lead. Minimal presence or direction from Butts and Murray. Maybe we see Redman as being able to fill that role
Murray has been marshalling them pretty well. Maybe Worrell is also good in that space. Butts has been average most of the year and I wouldn't mind seeing what Keane can do.

You can see what Keane can do in the SANFL, and it isn't enough.
Yeah I've seen him but some players do better at AFL level. If they feel they aren't going to get picked they just go through the motions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back