News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1700998
Problems have arisen with welding on steel for the redevelopment of GMHBA Stadium. Picture taken May 30, 2023.

View attachment 1701006
Sections of structural steel have been cut out so welding can be inspected. Picture taken May 30, 2023 at Waurn Ponds storage area.

View attachment 1701001
Problems have arisen with welding on steel for the redevelopment of GMHBA Stadium. Picture taken May 30, 2023.
Looks like something that has been pulled down after 40 years not something about to go up.

View attachment 1700998

View attachment 1701006
Sections of structural steel have been cut out so welding can be inspected. Picture taken May 30, 2023 at Waurn Ponds storage area.

View attachment 1701001
Thanks cats_09.

fyi all, In other news-

I was listening in to the member forum on Monday and asked a question about stadium capacity as Simon Keller said when done stadium will hold 40k (which we’ve heard before) but he said a bit later on that current capacity is 24k and new stand is 14k. I asked how are they 40k from 24+14….

they didn’t answer my question

Thanks cats_09.

fyi all, In other news-

I was listening in to the member forum on Monday and asked a question about stadium capacity as Simon Keller said when done stadium will hold 40k (which we’ve heard before) but he said a bit later on that current capacity is 24k and new stand is 14k. I asked how are they 40k from 24+14….

they didn’t answer my question
Only one way to find out... who wants to volunteer to count the seats?! ;)

The 2k difference is the seats which can technically be sold separately from the dinning rooms but in practice aren't. So the capacity is 38k when the dinning rooms sit on the balcony seats, but technically 40k if those balcony seats outside are sold separately and those dinning stay inside watching thru the glass.

The 2k difference is the seats which can technically be sold separately from the dinning rooms but in practice aren't. So the capacity is 38k when the dinning rooms sit on the balcony seats, but technically 40k if those balcony seats outside are sold separately and those dinning stay inside watching thru the glass.
Thanks JohnZ.

Surely they could have just said that at the forum

What a mess, probably screws up stage 6.
There is no stage 6, there was an assumption (by many here) that at some point the "new" Hickey Stand would be re-done to increase capacity and match all the redevelopments.

Here's an example from 5 years ago:

There is no stage 6, there was an assumption (by many here) that at some point the "new" Hickey Stand would be re-done to increase capacity and match all the redevelopments.

Here's an example from 5 years ago:
I think ‘stage 6’ is likely a Refurbishment of the Hickey stand but unlikely a rebuild.

Getting ahead of myself slightly here.

Say we finished 5/6th, could we see a grand opening in September? If the roof is still causing issues can we delay that until the offseason? Hmmm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting ahead of myself slightly here.

Say we finished 5/6th, could we see a grand opening in September? If the roof is still causing issues can we delay that until the offseason? Hmmm
Nothing like a good win to get ahead of ourselves! :D

Without knowing any specifics, it seems as though it's not going to just miss the end of the home and away season, but rather miss it by a lot.. december/january type thing. And I can't really imagine they would use it without the roof, they'd rather open it fully finished (eventually) than half arse it.

On a similar note, one of the higher ups (maybe hocking, or even someone from the trust?) mentioned in a Krock interview a few weeks ago that a likely scenario is it would be "open" for the big bash and any other cricket we happen to have, but they'll hold back the proper grand opening for our first home game next year.

They need to rebuild it, go over the road, fix the oval.
And lose out on opposition players needlessly kicking it out on the full on the outer side? Never!!

The Footswcray ground - Western Oval - many many many years ago - but on the outer side - the viewing area was sort of over the road - which would have been Geelong Rd

Iwent their to games when the Cats were playing - and drove past it - on the highway - but never walked around it to get a good engineering feel of it - but there definitely seemed like there was a road underneath it - like the ground/complex was overhanging the road

The Moorabool St wing wouldn't need to go to that extreme, but either way would probably need to buy out the shops that sit opposite between the Foster and Lonsdale Streets. Biggest issue will be the servo and contaminated soil. The easy but expensive fix is to excavate and fill with concrete instead of waiting for settlement which takes years. Could keep the middle hollow to save on concrete costs.

The Moorabool St wing wouldn't need to go to that extreme, but either way would probably need to buy out the shops that sit opposite between the Foster and Lonsdale Streets. Biggest issue will be the servo and contaminated soil. The easy but expensive fix is to excavate and fill with concrete instead of waiting for settlement which takes years. Could keep the middle hollow to save on concrete costs.
I think the biggest issue is the South Geelong Urban Design Framework which has been recently adopted by the City of Greater Geelong (CoGG).

The land is too valuable to the CoGG as medium to high density housing to have it occupied as a part of the stadium.

I think the biggest issue is the South Geelong Urban Design Framework which has been recently adopted by the City of Greater Geelong (CoGG).

The land is too valuable to the CoGG as medium to high density housing to have it occupied as a part of the stadium.
Yes. And IMO that's why any future development on the Moorabool side won't include widening the ground there, and will include an upper tier of seating cantilevered over the road.

Yes. And IMO that's why any future development on the Moorabool side won't include widening the ground there, and will include an upper tier of seating cantilevered over the road.
The issue is not so much the seating or constraints on it but the amenities and other facilities (dining, corporates, etc.) which can’t be accommodated in the tiny footprint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back