Play Nice Goal Umpire costs Adelaide a shot at finals, how do you stop it from happening again?

Should Adelaide appeal the result vs Sydney (poll reset with new option)

• Go to court if appeals are unsuccessfull

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Every angle they showed on the broadcast the post was obscuring the view.

That happens when it's already gone over the line for a goal. Funny that.

Crows kicking themselves out of games this year cost them finals but don't defend that tripe.

Looked like it was on the front on replay.

They kept replaying it again and again after the game to see if it hit it. I just want to see the side on of that part to confirm it was definitely past the goal line as it reached the padding height.
It was a metre above the padding LOL!

The closest thing to the padding was the Swans player who hit the padding and the goal umpire went off that sound instead of doing his job and calling for a review.

Last edited:
Umpire clearly made a mistake, a big mistake but for all those who want to pin him to a cross and crucify him, he has actually been let down by the system. Everyone who umpires or referees in any sport makes mistakes. The AFL is wealthy enough to have a system that should not make this possible. How many times do you see batsmen dismissed in cricket only to be called back because it was a no ball? Its not hard, I feel sorry for this umpire.......remember we need them for a game. It's the AFL who it at fault here.

He 100% made his own mistake and was so ceratin of it he did not ask for a review.

This is on the goal umpire 100%.

Looked like it was on the front on replay.

They kept replaying it again and again after the game to see if it hit it. I just want to see the side on of that part to confirm it was definitely past the goal line as it reached the padding height.

Lol it's a solid foot above the padding as it passes by

This is the problem.

It would be interesting if Adelaide took this to court.

People will scoff at this post, but think about it for a second - a court needs to judge on reasonableness.

Is it reasonable Adelaide would have won if the correct decision were made?
No. It is reasonable for Adelaide to have been declared as leading the game with 90 seconds to go but just handing them the win isn't right either as Sydney would have been equally entitled to retake the lead. Given the national nature of the competition, it would be unreasonable to replay those 90 seconds so the result will and should stand.

Genuine question that I think will be whitewashed over the goal umpire decision.

Why didn't McAdam have a concussion test? Clear hit to the head, dazed yet not even come off the field for a quick test.
I'm wondering why the goal ump wasn't taken off for a HIA after that atrocious call!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the people who are saying "Adelaide should have won". There was about 40 seconds left... that's enough time to get a clearance and a shot after the siren for Sydney. Even if Adelaide have a case, you can't really overturn the game result.
Absolutely.

Umpiring mistakes has always, and will always be a part of the game.

The extremely frustrating part here though is this one was so easily avoidable.

For the people who are saying "Adelaide should have won". There was about 40 seconds left... that's enough time to get a clearance and a shot after the siren for Sydney. Even if Adelaide have a case, you can't really overturn the game result.
Correct. The only way it could be reversed is if it was a shot after the siren.

Genuine question that I think will be whitewashed over the goal umpire decision.

Why didn't McAdam have a concussion test? Clear hit to the head, dazed yet not even come off the field for a quick test.
Thought so too, was really disappointed that we didn’t bring him off. Haven’t seen any replays yet but hopefully they aren’t as bad as first look.

Agree.

Should have been reviewed.

Escaped with the win as many have done against us this season. Good luck in the finals, it won't be easy from 8th spot unless you beat Melbourne and other results go your way to jump up from 8th. But maybe 8th is good for you, Carlton are inexperienced. I am very sure we would have beaten Carlton and reached the semi from 8th.

Clearly a goal, umpire in perfect position but it appears the deflection off the Swans defender caught the goal umpire off guard. Maybe they could restart the game with a minute to go but the Swans could still win the centre clearance and score the winning goal but unfortunately the result must stand. If it was after the siren, then they could change it back like sirengate in 2006.

Adelaide were much better this year. They had easily the toughest draw in the competition (esp in the 2nd half of the season) and were competitive, they lead the league in scoring. But lapses in concentration and poor goal kicking in tight games cost them.

Unpopular opinion perhaps but think the result should stand.

The goal umpire was a meter away and absolutely definite it hit the post. There is a gap between frames where the spinning ball could well have hit the post but that is the crap technology. It seems likely to me that the ball did hit the post and it is the camera that sucks.

On the replay,it can't be definitive because of the poor frame/footage. And there is no arc apparently because a player hit the padding at roughly the same time. So even if reviewed i don't think that could have been overturned.

Now, i will happily concede if the afl admit fault or error here. It is possible the umpire heard the player hit the post, got confused and made a mistake. But until that point the umpire made his call and was in the best place to see and so i think the decision is correct.

Also lets not detract from half Adelaide's team celebrating before the goal was signalled, thus preventing them defending the kick in. From that angle that is a silly mistake and cost them as much as the original decision

Back