Are you happy for Tassie to have an Academy, and do you think it will happen?

Would you be happy for the Tassie team to be given a Northern style academy?

• Yes

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really think it is a good bet that the AFL will give Tassie a full Northern style academy as a part of their player retention push.

Tassie has been under performing in the development of their jrs for a while now, and as its a footy state, you could expect that with some decent development, and the attraction of a home team, Tassie should be able to double the amount of kids getting into the AFL system.

Player retention will be an issue for them. As Sicily said, alot of players won't want to stay there.
As such, I think it is imperative that they get as many local talent into their team. Not only does it help with retention but it could give the kids in Tassie local hero's to look up to.
I know as a kid when the Crows came into the AFL, what the local SA players like Modra, Ruccutio, Hart, Smart etc did to inspire kids to play AFL could not be over stated.

So, will they, and should they?

Yes to the Academy, but with the high level of local opposition to the new stadium and Tasmanian labor publicity stating that they will do everything to stop the stadium going ahead if elected, I'm not convinced this new side will even come to fruition.

I really think it is a good bet that the AFL will give Tassie a full Northern style academy as a part of their player retention push.

Tassie has been under performing in the development of their jrs for a while now, and as its a footy state, you could expect that with some decent development, and the attraction of a home team, Tassie should be able to double the amount of kids getting into the AFL system.

Player retention will be an issue for them. As Sicily said, alot of players won't want to stay there.
As such, I think it is imperative that they get as many local talent into their team. Not only does it help with retention but it could give the kids in Tassie local hero's to look up to.
I know as a kid when the Crows came into the AFL, what the local SA players like Modra, Ruccutio, Hart, Smart etc did to inspire kids to play AFL could not be over stated.

So, will they, and should they?

the tassie side can live and train in Melbourne and fly down for 11 to 12 games a year in Hobart

No. I'd like to see all the so-called "Academies" given the flick. These aren't real football academies. They're just an artificial way for the AFL to give preferential treatment to the northern franchises. All it does is compromise the draft and create an unfair competition.

The Swans have played in 22 of the past 27 finals series. Since 1995, they've missed the Top 8 in successive years only ONCE. (2019-20)
Why the hell should they receive any leg-ups? Why shouldn't they take their turn at missing out finals and being crap for 5-6 years like everyone else?
[answer: Because nobody from Vic, SA, WA would watch the Swans on Friday or Saturday nights if they were crap. It's purely for TV ratings and to justify the AFL's billion dollar deal with Channel 7.... It's a fricken JOKE... We shouldn't put up with it.]

The AFL extended the academy system to the southern clubs after a lot of bitching and moaning. But I'm not a fan of this either. It just compromises the draft even further. e.g. the Bulldogs played finals in 2019 and 2020. They were about to embark on a fantastic 2021 season when they won 18 games and reached the Grand Final. But thanks to their so-called "Next Generation Academy", they were effectively gifted the number 1 pick in the 2020 draft when they signed Jamarra Ugle-Hagan... How the hell was that fair?

The AFL maintains that it believes in the draft & salary cap to maintain an even competition. But I see a National Draft which is hopelessly compromised by all the academy and father-son selections... and year after year, I see the same handful of teams signing the biggest free agents and trade acquisitions (which leads me to believe that the salary cap is also compromised.)

The AFL should just scrap the salary cap and national draft.... OR it should do everything in it's power to police the salary cap properly and have a fair, uncompromised draft with none of this academy bullcrap. (By all means, the AFL should have real football academies for elite junior athletes, but they should run these themselves. They shouldn't be affiliated with any club)

Thats Not much different to the Melbourne FIFO teams now. Just with a Tasmanian jumper.

agree. but as an 18-27yo, I'd see a "posting" to tassie or a place like darwin as worse than death. even adelaide would be my worse nightmare.

Even to this day, when I fly from Perth to Sydney or Melbourne I drop an anti-depressant over the nullarbor just knowing I'm about to pass over adelaide. Further many don't realise South Australia was the first to ban plastic bags, not because of environmental reasons but rather the suicide risk.

the tassie side can live and train in Melbourne and fly down for 11 to 12 games a year in Hobart
Unfortunately we have lost the great Russell Ebert, who was the only fifo player I'm aware of:

During 1979 Ebert continued to operate his business, a sports store, in Adelaide.[58] Ebert would fly to Melbourne for the Tuesday training session, fly back to Adelaide, work until the middle of Thursday, fly to Melbourne again, play for North Melbourne in the VFL, and fly back Saturday night.[16][18] North Melbourne agreed to cover Ebert's large travel costs.[56]
Russell Ebert - Wikipedia

It worked:
'I think he was the first fly-in fly-out footballer because he came across from South Australia, Port Adelaide, and played just the one season. He flew in on a Thursday night and would fly home on a Sunday. Marvellous year at the club, played all 25 games, 15 goals, had the most possessions of anyone at the club in that time.'

— Ross Glendinning describing Ebert's year at North Melbourne in 1979.[60]

Unfortunately we have lost the great Russell Ebert, who was the only fifo player I'm aware of:

During 1979 Ebert continued to operate his business, a sports store, in Adelaide.[58] Ebert would fly to Melbourne for the Tuesday training session, fly back to Adelaide, work until the middle of Thursday, fly to Melbourne again, play for North Melbourne in the VFL, and fly back Saturday night.[16][18] North Melbourne agreed to cover Ebert's large travel costs.[56]

It worked:
'I think he was the first fly-in fly-out footballer because he came across from South Australia, Port Adelaide, and played just the one season. He flew in on a Thursday night and would fly home on a Sunday. Marvellous year at the club, played all 25 games, 15 goals, had the most possessions of anyone at the club in that time.'

There has been many greats of the game and those blessed to see ebert would suggest he was one of them.

e52ea802e17fd21f309c7cb8179f99b8

North Melbourne had some pretty impressive guys back then, with the like of glendinning, ebert, Schimmelbusch, cable, greig, cornes, huppatz and blight

No. I'd like to see all the so-called "Academies" given the flick. These aren't real football academies. They're just an artificial way for the AFL to give preferential treatment to the northern franchises. All it does is compromise the draft and create an unfair competition.

The Swans have played in 22 of the past 27 finals series. Since 1995, they've missed the Top 8 in successive years only ONCE. (2019-20)
Why the hell should they receive any leg-ups? Why shouldn't they take their turn at missing out finals and being crap for 5-6 years like everyone else?
[answer: Because nobody from Vic, SA, WA would watch the Swans on Friday or Saturday nights if they were crap. It's purely for TV ratings and to justify the AFL's billion dollar deal with Channel 7.... It's a fricken JOKE... We shouldn't put up with it.]

The AFL extended the academy system to the southern clubs after a lot of bitching and moaning. But I'm not a fan of this either. It just compromises the draft even further. e.g. the Bulldogs played finals in 2019 and 2020. They were about to embark on a fantastic 2021 season when they won 18 games and reached the Grand Final. But thanks to their so-called "Next Generation Academy", they were effectively gifted the number 1 pick in the 2020 draft when they signed Jamarra Ugle-Hagan... How the hell was that fair?

The AFL maintains that it believes in the draft & salary cap to maintain an even competition. But I see a National Draft which is hopelessly compromised by all the academy and father-son selections... and year after year, I see the same handful of teams signing the biggest free agents and trade acquisitions (which leads me to believe that the salary cap is also compromised.)

The AFL should just scrap the salary cap and national draft.... OR it should do everything in it's power to police the salary cap properly and have a fair, uncompromised draft with none of this academy bullcrap. (By all means, the AFL should have real football academies for elite junior athletes, but they should run these themselves. They shouldn't be affiliated with any club)

if we want a national comp, the northern franchises need preferential treatment

I think I'd be okay with it but will need to keep in mind that Tassie is a footy state and if they are given the same academy conditions as say a non footy state like gold coast that could be the biggest leg up of all the expansion teams and has the potential to create a powerhouse.

The past decade or so it has been a bit leaner out of Tassie so it is a variable but the upside is huge. If academys are still a thing I'd like to see it for the Tassie supporters and players.

There has been many greats of the game and those blessed to see ebert would suggest he was one of them.

e52ea802e17fd21f309c7cb8179f99b8

North Melbourne had some pretty impressive guys back then, with the like of glendinning, ebert, Schimmelbusch, cable, greig, cornes, huppatz and blight
Barry Robran was the greatest. To imagine what he could have been if he didn't destroy his knee halfway through his career.
Bagshaw wasn't too bad either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes to a Tassie academy. All of Tasmania with the same rules as the Northern academies is a no brainer.

We have seen from GC and GWS that the fears of an unbeatable dynasty were totally unfounded.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's a footy state though, the talent that has come out of Tassie is way better than the talent that has came out of Queensland. It's a huge leg up for Tassie, which I'm not against.

Barry Robran was the greatest. To imagine what he could have been if he didn't destroy his knee halfway through his career.
Bagshaw wasn't too bad either.

The one I was in love with was blight

what a great period for SA footy

I think I'd be okay with it but will need to keep in mind that Tassie is a footy state and if they are given the same academy conditions as say a non footy state like gold coast that could be the biggest leg up of all the expansion teams and has the potential to create a powerhouse.

The past decade or so it has been a bit leaner out of Tassie so it is a variable but the upside is huge. If academys are still a thing I'd like to see it for the Tassie supporters and players.

Are you underestimating the benefits of the current heartland teams?

I do remember the claims that both the Gold Coast & GWS were going to dominate the competition for years - they havent.
Only the Lions have achieved that, followed by the Hawks, with the Cats & Richmond giving domination a good shake.

It worked:

Pretty sure that Huddo was fifo for the Hawks in 1977.

Pretty sure that Huddo was fifo for the Hawks in 1977.

The helicopter was one off ?

In the WANFL in the early 60s Claremont had a milk run:
'In 1963, Claremont instituted the “Flying Tigers.”

Each week a small plane would fly from the Great Southern to Perth with several footballers aboard ready to represent the Tigers in the WANFL. Among these were Alan Mycock, Vern Orr, Ian Brayshaw (who was working for a country newspaper), Des Leo, and Brian Fairclough. '

Most of these guys were in the 1964 flag.
Ian Brayshaw is the grandfather of the Brayshaws running about today.

Last edited:
Are you underestimating the benefits of the current heartland teams?

I do remember the claims that both the Gold Coast & GWS were going to dominate the competition for years - they havent.
Only the Lions have achieved that, followed by the Hawks, with the Cats & Richmond giving domination a good shake.
Not at all, my point is entirely about the academy, I'm not against Tassie getting one, I think it would be good for the game for them to be competitive. But imagine if the SA clubs had priority access to local players outside the draft, or WA or Vic.

Gold Coast get this which isn't that huge of a leg up for them because of the vastly smaller pool of talent, but good for growing the game. Tassie would benefit much more from a similar approach, just needs to be weighed up with what draft concessions etc...

The helicopter was for his one-off game in 73 at Waverley (the year after he did his knee). It was his first game back after the injury (which happened in Round 1, 72) and he kicked 8 I think.

But I'm referring to his full comeback season with the Hawks in 77, I'm certain that he played that season as a fifo, due to business commitments in Hobart (he ran a pub).

I'm sure a Hawks fan could confirm/otherwise.

In the WANFL in the early 60s Claremont had a milk run:
'In 1963, Claremont instituted the “Flying Tigers.”

Each week a small plane would fly from the Great Southern to Perth with several footballers aboard ready to represent the Tigers in the WANFL. Among these were Alan Mycock, Vern Orr, Ian Brayshaw (who was working for a country newspaper), Des Leo, and Brian Fairclough. '

Most of these guys were in the 1964 flag.
Ian Brayshaw is the grandfather of the Brayshaws running about today.
And a more than decent all-rounder for WA too. Would have made the national team in different times. One of only three players to take all 10 wickets in a Sheffield Shield innings.

Not at all, my point is entirely about the academy, I'm not against Tassie getting one, I think it would be good for the game for them to be competitive. But imagine if the SA clubs had priority access to local players outside the draft, or WA or Vic.

Gold Coast get this which isn't that huge of a leg up for them because of the vastly smaller pool of talent, but good for growing the game. Tassie would benefit much more from a similar approach, just needs to be weighed up with what draft concessions etc...

Tas is so much smaller - being competitive early gives it the best chance of being successful & it needs to be successful.

The helicopter was for his one-off game in 73 at Waverley (the year after he did his knee). It was his first game back after the injury (which happened in Round 1, 72) and he kicked 8 I think.

But I'm referring to his full comeback season with the Hawks in 77, I'm certain that he played that season as a fifo, due to business commitments in Hobart (he ran a pub).

I'm sure a Hawks fan could confirm/otherwise.

i always remember the story of the Church in Hawthorn that put up a sign asking what would you do if Jesus came to Hawthorn?
Someone added 'play Huddo at CHF.

I'd say almost certain to get an 'academy'. One thing that I think will be interesting to see is if Tasmanian draftees decline the opportunity to stay in Tassie and chase the lifestyle of playing in the 'big smoke'.

Last edited:
The great Peter Hudson made his VFL comeback for Hawthorn in 1977 after playing for Glenorchy in the Tassie Football League in 1975-76
Except he remained in Hobart where he owned a pub and flew to Melbourne on weekends to play for the Hawks.

He trained by himself and kicked 110 goals that year as a FIFO player and won his 4th Coleman Medal (retrospective)

That was his last season in the VFL.

He played for Glenorchy again from 1978-79, kicking 154 and 179 goals and winning consecutive Leitch Medals as the TFL's best player
He actually kicked 202 goals in the 1979 season, if you include all his goals from Tasmanian Rep matches.

Huddo was the greatest full forward ever. He kicked 727 VFL goals (avg 5.64)... 994 TFL goals (avg 6.25)... plus a further 289 goals for Vic & Tas in state games... Totals goals: 2,010 (avg 5.92)

He kicked 100 goals in a season 10 times for his club: 5 times for Hawthorn, 5 times in the TFL for New Newfolk & Glenorchy
He was the league's leading goalkicker 12 times (4 in VFL, 8 in TFL)

Hudson was robbed of 3 seasons of footy whilst in his absolute prime. He played one game for Hawthorn in 1972 when he kicked 8 goals vs Melbourne and ruptured his ACL before half time. Missed the remainder of the year. Came back 17 months later in Round 21 of 1973 to try to help Hawthorn beat the top team, Collingwood and make the finals. He re-injured his knee, but somehow managed to kick 8 goals on one leg. He played just 2 games in 1974.

Lockett was a big burly beast who dominated opponents. John Coleman was a spectacular high-flier who thrilled the crowds. Peter Hudson was quite simply a genius. They say he had an uncanny ability to judge where the ball was going the moment it left the boot of a teammate. He was able to read the flight of the ball, position himself and control the space where the ball was going to land better than anyone. This natural ability in combination with his strong hips and big barge arse helped him to outmanoeuvre full backs and take easy marks within range of goal. Maybe not as awesome to watch as those other 2 legendary full forwards, but he was unstoppable. He kicked bags and bags of goals and made it look easy.

f82b5f03069c2305f4b767dafa07f755.jpg

Last edited:
Back