Game Day Around The Grounds - Week 1 - Elimination & Qualifying Finals 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you here and why do you care??? Flog.
I can only think the standard of the game really was that bad that many Pie fans were bored and waltzed over here :tearsofjoy:

For all you lamenting the standard of the game last night, did you go outside?
The weather was shite….
What were you expecting.
Enjoy your 5 degree evening.
Don't take it personally.
It's different if you support one of the teams.
You might find tonite's game tedious whilst we'll all be riveted.
Also, it was Dees that made it so.
Not you lot.

Don't take it personally.
It's different if you support one of the teams.
You might find tonite's game tedious whilst we'll all be riveted.
Also, it was Dees that made it so.
Not you lot.
Why don't you lay some cushions and warm milk out for the moron while you're at it?

Collingwood won that game because Simon Goodwin coached Melbourne out of it.

The book has been out on Collingwood most of the year.

Teams know how to score against them. It's by short precision kicking forward of centre. You don't bomb it long and blaze away into F50...

Melbourne had 56 F50 entries in the last 3 quarters of that match and kicked 6.11. Not only were they utterly wasteful inaccuracy wise but they simply didn't learn. They just kept doing the same s**t again and again and again

Maynard:s hit on Brayshaw didn't help things but had Melbourne's gameplan been that much smarter they'd have given them an absolute hidinc

Now Cojngwkkx will waltz into a grand final. There's not one team on that side of the draw that can knock them off.

Yes it has really opened up for them. Likely to get an interstate side in both the prelim and granny. Maynard gets off IMO, another week for Nick D. to get himself right.

Could be up to us to stop them. Everything suggests it a "weaker", open year. Sides without functioning forward-lines making top 4 etc.

We have a genuine opportunity if we get a bit of luck. Melbourne showed what happens when luck is against you. Play that game 10 more times and Dees probably win 8. 3 OOF's to add to their misses during the second half.

Bit of a quirk that we haven't beaten Melbourne in a final for 61 years, or Brisbane in a final at the Gabba ever. Never even played Port in a final.

Should be similiar conditions tonight and the better contested side came home strongly. We need to start at least on even terms and we should be ok.

Why don't you lay some cushions and warm milk out for the moron while you're at it?
I thought Pies played well last nite. Wasn't invested in either team.
Cheers for your thoughts though Stripey.

I thought Pies played well last nite. Wasn't invested in either team.
Cheers for your thoughts though Stripey.
Start a thread about how well they played - would be fascinating reading!

Collingwood won that game because Simon Goodwin coached Melbourne out of it.

The book has been out on Collingwood most of the year.

Teams know how to score against them. It's by short precision kicking forward of centre. You don't bomb it long and blaze away into F50...

Melbourne had 56 F50 entries in the last 3 quarters of that match and kicked 6.11. Not only were they utterly wasteful inaccuracy wise but they simply didn't learn. They just kept doing the same s**t again and again and again

Maynard:s hit on Brayshaw didn't help things but had Melbourne's gameplan been that much smarter they'd have given them an absolute hidinc

Now Cojngwkkx will waltz into a grand final. There's not one team on that side of the draw that can knock them off.

Agree to a point, the Pies 1st qtr was very good, but I thought the Dees played well enough to win, their execution was shocking and there would be a number of players who would like to take their shots on goal again. Conditions played a huge part which may have been a reason the Dees were not short passing going forward, they were pushing the ball forward and trying to lock it in with little reward, much the same as our first qtr v them a few weeks back in the wet.

Fritsch and Pickett couldn't buy a goal, you don't see that often. Petracca was unbelievable in the last qtr, nearly turned the game on his own. The times they did short pass, they were missing their targets so probably played the percentages.

I thought Cox's slide in leg tackle on Petracca was crude in the last and could have caused some real damage, that was not a football act.

With regards to Maynard, it's pretty sad that know one outside of the MRP, Tribunal system knows how this will play out or how they will see it. Their inconsistencies have no boundaries.

I thought Cox's slide in leg tackle on Petracca was crude in the last and could have caused some real damage, that was not a football act.

You can see Cox deliberately tighten his legs around Petracca's ankle too. Incidental contact in a physical footy game I can accept.

Dirty plays and players like what Cox did, or Toby Greene deliberately keeping McGovern in a headlock is unacceptable and I wish the MRO would stamp this type of thing out of the game. There is a difference between playing competitively and physically (eg. Cripps) vs being a down right dirty player.

You can see Cox deliberately tighten his legs around Petracca's ankle too. Incidental contact in a physical footy game I can accept.

Dirty plays and players like what Cox did, or Toby Greene deliberately keeping McGovern in a headlock is unacceptable and I wish the MRO would stamp this type of thing out of the game. There is a difference between playing competitively and physically (eg. Cripps) vs being a down right dirty player.

Yeah, just wasn't a good look for the game or Petracca's leg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

every day of the week.

The shoulder/body turn is as clear as day. He mad a choice.

Dog act frankly.
Agree and I reckon AFL will be forthright with its guilty deliberation, in finals especially, enforce type individuals will rough up and minimize influence of opponent-play makers, especially early in the game. Very unbecoming conduct for a professional footballer, really tarnishes our game.

Agree and I reckon AFL will be forthright with its guilty deliberation, in finals especially, enforce type individuals will rough up and minimize influence of opponent-play makers, especially early in the game. Very unbecoming conduct for a professional footballer, really tarnishes our game.
They really need some sort of red card system.

Brasyshaw's inability to continue probably cost the Dees the game.

They were one (very, very good) player down the whole game.

that's it, isn't it.

They're all squawking "footy act"...

He had a choice how he made contact, he took him high.

The rest is all about the victim...and he likely won't play again this year.
It is not a football act because even if he managed to spoil the ball he would have given away a free kick for late contact. It is in no way unavoidable and accidental.

every day of the week.

Dog act frankly.
Spot on. All this 'how can he change direction in mid-air?' nonsense from Pies camp is quite absurd. He chose to jump in Brayshaw's path so accept the consequences of head-high contact and sit out your week/s. Tony Lockett also famously made a nice little jump before Caven arrived to have his head obliterated. Should we go back and apologise to poor old Tony Lockett for the injustice of an 8 week suspension 🤣 "How can he change direction in mid-air??" 😂

Pies modified game plan now involves them bursting out early in the game rather than later as per their fast finishes in the last 18 months. Can't fathom how they won from half the i50s and a goalless last quarter and Melbourne didn't help themselves with their inability to connect with ball properly when kicking or hand balling.

Melbourne will come back strong next week. Gawn is in sensational form, Oliver, Trac and Viney can't hide from them and a solid defence. If their forward line clicks for a game then they're tough to beat.

Pies really looked ordinary. Elliot out of form (I suspect injured somewhat), Pendles becoming less effectual, DeGoey only good for bursts and can be contained, Mitchell meh, McStay makes Brisbane happy that he McWent. The only surprise is the recent form of Cox's tap work. Their game plan of getting some of their pacey players to sling shot out the back can be countered as we proved against them during our last game. Keep Moore occupied, contain Hill during his 15 minutes of when he's on and don't let Elliot hover within 30m from goal, and keep up the pressure and they're very gettable.

Pies modified game plan now involves them bursting out early in the game rather than later as per their fast finishes in the last 18 months. Can't fathom how they won from half the i50s and a goalless last quarter and Melbourne didn't help themselves with their inability to connect with ball properly when kicking or hand balling.

Melbourne will come back strong next week. Gawn is in sensational form, Oliver, Trac and Viney can't hide from them and a solid defence. If their forward line clicks for a game then they're tough to beat.

Pies really looked ordinary. Elliot out of form (I suspect injured somewhat), Pendles becoming less effectual, DeGoey only good for bursts and can be contained, Mitchell meh, McStay makes Brisbane happy that he McWent. The only surprise is the recent form of Cox's tap work. Their game plan of getting some of their pacey players to sling shot out the back can be countered as we proved against them during our last game. Keep Moore occupied, contain Hill during his 15 minutes of when he's on and don't let Elliot hover within 30m from goal, and keep up the pressure and they're very gettable.
What I took from last night is that both Collingwood and Melbourne have flaws which can be exposed. Collingwood rely primarily on scores generated from defensive rebound and has little depth in the midfield. Daicos won't be fully right when he comes back, so no silver bullet there in my view.
Melbourne has a game that I think is simpler - they are the best contested team in it and have the best defence. But unless they find a forward system in the next seven days, they are vulnerable.
Interesting... Sydney play a similar style to Collingwood ... and we like the contest like Melbourne.
Very interested in how Port and Brisbane stack up tomorrow night.

What I took from last night is that both Collingwood and Melbourne have flaws which can be exposed. Collingwood rely primarily on scores generated from defensive rebound and has little depth in the midfield. Daicos won't be fully right when he comes back, so no silver bullet there in my view.
Melbourne has a game that I think is simpler - they are the best contested team in it and have the best defence. But unless they find a forward system in the next seven days, they are vulnerable.
Interesting... Sydney play a similar style to Collingwood ... and we like the contest like Melbourne.
Very interested in how Port and Brisbane stack up tomorrow night.
Do enjoy hearing that Daicos will be the panacea for them. We know Walsh and Cerra are both fit running machines and they were off only after a month lay off with just a hammy and not a crack in the knee cap. If Pies think that any of Brisbane/Port/StKilda/GWS players won't "test" Daicos' knee out if he plays in the prelim then good luck as I still think he won't be 100%.

Do enjoy hearing that Daicos will be the panacea for them. We know Walsh and Cerra are both fit running machines and they were off only after a month lay off with just a hammy and not a crack in the knee cap. If Pies think that any of Brisbane/Port/StKilda/GWS players won't "test" Daicos' knee out if he plays in the prelim then good luck as I still think he won't be 100%.
Will Daicos magically overcome his aversion to contact? His brother didn't seem to want it last night. Just can't give them space as they run hard to receive. Run to defend not so much

every day of the week.

Dog act frankly.
He could have turned his body so his left shoulder was leading and he would have only glanced Brayshaw. The fact he turned so his right shoulder was leading was deliberate and he was lining up Brayshaw. I'm hoping that his helmet absorbed most of the impact, because Brayshaw is a prime candidate for CTE in the future and this hit isn't going to help him.

He could have turned his body so his left shoulder was leading and he would have only glanced Brayshaw. The fact he turned so his right shoulder was leading was deliberate and he was lining up Brayshaw. I'm hoping that his helmet absorbed most of the impact, because Brayshaw is a prime candidate for CTE in the future and this hit isn't going to help him.
So we have to umpire the game for a bloke who probably shouldn't be playing it? FMD now Ive heard everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back