Game Day Around The Grounds - Week 1 - Elimination & Qualifying Finals 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Reactionary?
Acres has been discussed here ad nauseam and a possibility of coming to us... He would be an upgrade on our current wingers...

Yes, if we didn't go a small forward earlier in the draft...
I'd absolutely look at Cahill as a late pick or rookie pick, would be cheap and fills a need...

You do know Acres plays on a wing and Dow is an inside midfielder right?
Both play different roles in different positions...

Missed my point completely

Mccrae complaining about the umps last night! He’s got a damn cheek. He complained after the Carlton game too that the umps gave us momentum. And now that the umps didn’t reward their tackles. He’s flavour of the month, but is showing himself to be a sore loser and whinger. I hope the pies give him something very big to whinge about next week!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Completely disagree as he was in the best players for Freo all night!!! He was one of their few steady players in the first quarter when they were sh***ing themselves from the Dogs pressure, and continually used his body in contests to win the ball and move it on for his team. Too many on this forum do not rate players from other teams enough in my book!!!
And over rate those on our list !!

I thought Acres went ok. Good use of his body in one on one contests, kicked to a lot of packs though. Not quick or slow over the ground. We really need a couple of players that can break lines with their speed like Clark, Federick, Walker and Serong.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mccrae complaining about the umps last night! He’s got a damn cheek. He complained after the Carlton game too that the umps gave us momentum. And now that the umps didn’t reward their tackles. He’s flavour of the month, but is showing himself to be a sore loser and whinger. I hope the pies give him something very big to whinge about next week!

Well, he did learn about complaining from the best…

Umps gave us momentum - spare me. I like McRae but that is one of the worst possible takes possible from that game.

No it beats me what you and others are impressed by. O’Brien and Cottrell are far better players.

None of them are very good. If Cottrell improves again next season, then he may be alright. But you’re right, people get carried away as soon as a player is linked to Carlton - I’d swear most base it on seeing a couple of games and some stats. Acres is a crap kick and poor decision-maker. He’d be more effective than either of those 2 on 2022 form, but not enough difference to get excited imo.

We have players on our list who would make better wingers, just need a decent run with injuries.

Last edited:
None of them are very good. If Cottrell improves again next season, then he may be alright. But you’re right, people get carried away as soon as a player is linked to Carlton - I’d swear most base it on seeing a couple of games and some stats. Acres is a crap kick and poor decision-maker. He’d be more effective than either of those 2 on 2022 form, but not enough difference to get excited imo.

We have players on our list who would make better wingers, just need a decent run with injuries.
At worst, he's an upgrade on Newnes as depth.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with most of that and acres is the classic slow minded player with poor disposal. He can only execute when the option is clear as day. Other than that he’s a liability. Just like newnes and Dow. Cottrell is clean and makes good decisions in difficult situations so I don’t see how he’s an upgrade there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I guess we will be able to assess it, end of next year if he comes on board
Yeah, I guess. Seen enough of acres over the years to know what your gonna get. If the club sees him as more than depth then their view is certainly different to mine. And if he happens to be favoured and played ahead of others then I can see Lob or Cottrell going elsewhere and thriving. Acres is at his ceiling and his poor composure and skills under pressure is something you rarely if ever see improve.

Yeah, I guess. Seen enough of acres over the years to know what your gonna get. If the club sees him as more than depth then their view is certainly different to mine. And if he happens to be favoured and played ahead of others then I can see Lob or Cottrell going elsewhere and thriving. Acres is at his ceiling and his poor composure and skills under pressure is something you rarely if ever see improve.

I don't actually agree with your view, nor do I think he is anymore than a role player

Reckon Pies will win comfortably at the G, their sharp intensity , determination , tireless attacking ball movement is amazing, not sure how far they'll after the Freo game, as long as they don't get anywhere near another Grand Final, when on they're dangerous.

Reading and listening to all the Pies supporters having a sook about the umpiring makes their loss even that much more delicious...almost as good as watching them crash out in straight sets.
Finals footy and the umpires putting away the whistle is all well and good until your team doesn't get any frees. Was very different to the Friday night game After watching the replay of the game (having seen it live) there was only 1 really blatant time free the Pies should have received on the outer wing. Otherwise the umpiring was good.

I especially loved that the boring into a tackle with the head wasn't rewarded (Selwood missed a couple he would normally receive) and Ginnivan didn't get rewarded for a massive dive. Probably got enough of a shove to receive a free if he didn't play for it

Yeah Collingwood absolute certainties this week to me.

Not so sure about that!

Freo had the jitters early but once they got going, they were super impressive…

They can defend and have a wildcard forward line with one of the premier small forwards who can light it up…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back