Draft mechanisms under review

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't Hodge jnr a part of an academy?
Brisbane. Not that they had anything to do with developing him. Was selected for QLD before he joined the academy.

Absolute farce if the AFL let that happen.

Brisbane. Not that they had anything to do with developing him. Was selected for QLD before he joined the academy.

Absolute farce if the AFL let that happen.
Assuming he meets any age criteria when you have to be nominated by, I don't see how they avoid it. You're always going to get some anomalies.

To me the issue is just getting the matching price right. No idea how to do it. At the moment, having a genuine topline kid come through under either the academy system or F/S is too big an advantage and also hurts the equalisation impact of the draft too much - it's been a few years in a row now where Pick 2 hasn't gotten you the second highest rated kid in the draft. If you're a top team, 2 years of all of your draft picks aren't as valuable as a top 5 pick, but you can turn one late first round pick into enough points to get you a top 5 academy or F/S selection.

Assuming he meets any age criteria when you have to be nominated by, I don't see how they avoid it. You're always going to get some anomalies.
You can fix it incredibly easily. No need for an anomaly.

How? Ban players from the academy, if they're already good? How do you police that?
Absolutely not. Allow father sons into the academy but only allow draft bidding by the academy club if the father son club signs off.

That way you get the benefit of the development pathway for players who are living in a non footy state but protect the nature of father son entry.

It really wouldn't be difficult to get the balance right in a manner like that.

Furthermore, as so many in this thread have pointed out, we could manage the issue of paying for players acquired through f/s and academies via a stronger set of requirements (for example, one pick that is used to pay for the player must be in the same round the player is bid on, and no more than 2 picks can be used to pay for the player- if the club is unable to achieve these requirements, future picks can be deducted in the standard manner from the required draft rounds).

Absolutely not. Allow father sons into the academy but only allow draft bidding by the academy club if the father son club signs off.

That way you get the benefit of the development pathway for players who are living in a non footy state but protect the nature of father son entry.

It really wouldn't be difficult to get the balance right in a manner like that.

Furthermore, as so many in this thread have pointed out, we could manage the issue of paying for players acquired through f/s and academies via a stronger set of requirements (for example, one pick that is used to pay for the player must be in the same round the player is bid on, and no more than 2 picks can be used to pay for the player- if the club is unable to achieve these requirements, future picks can be deducted in the standard manner from the required draft rounds).

I thought you were referring to him already being good and thus the academy not being as responsible for his development. Does it matter that some kids not in the open draft choose an academy pathway over father son?

Yeah something like you are referring to is the way to go - not going to think much about it, except it needs to be levelled.

every AFL club has past players, and an equal amount of them.... father son rules are equal opportunity for all. Sydney's time will come around at some point. You claim geelong has benefited massively from the FS rule... yet we had sweet nothing for about 40 years prior to that. Soon after us, Collingwood and WB had their turn... it is just about as equitable as it gets. If a system is equitable, leave it.

Again,, if you can show me proof of the operation the catters have going on... i will retract my statement that it is equality of opportunity.
Over 75% of father son picks are Victorian.

That shows a clear favoritism towards Victorian sides.

Why are you guys all worried about academies and father sons? It's easy to convince interstate players to come to your club and then retain them, remember? Zero disadvantage in all this. Should be even easier to convince a kid with a strong familial bond to your club.

I don't even know why this is an issue now, these aren't even the first father-sons to reject a nomination, or the case of Dunkley, conditionally accept it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you guys all worried about academies and father sons? It's easy to convince interstate players to come to your club and then retain them, remember? Zero disadvantage in all this. Should be even easier to convince a kid with a strong familial bond to your club.

I don't even know why this is an issue now, these aren't even the first father-sons to reject a nomination, or the case of Dunkley, conditionally accept it.
I never argued it was easy to retain out of state players.

Over 75% of father son picks are Victorian.

That shows a clear favoritism towards Victorian sides.
Doesn't show favouritism.
Shows they probably miscalculated the appropriate games figures for WaFL and Sanfl players.

You're looking at 16 father son teams. Vic's are 62.5% if that 16. So 75% is a bit over but not dramatic. Plus I suspect some of the inflated percentage is due to more romanticism as the fathers actually played for the club, so some pretty ordinary kids have been taken by Vic teams as f/s - particularly in the early days.

Last edited:
Why? Blakey's family relationship with the Swans had been 12 years at that point including a premiership, Blakey had grown up in Sydney, he had been in the academy since he was 11/12. How exactly was it bullshit?
We have discussed it more than once. Are you just trolling at this point?

Isaac Smith and Luke bruest are two obvious nsw examples from my club you chose not to draft. But there are 13 current riverina players. You drafted 1 of them.
Do we have an academy there?
Did we have the academy at that stage?

Do we have an academy there?
Did we have the academy at that stage?
That isn't what that argument was about. It was about whether the Swans needed to recruit from NSW to protect against losing players, and the fact that they have never made any effort to actually recruit from NSW suggests otherwise. They have always recruited without looking at state and don't have a history of losing players.

That isn't what that argument was about. It was about whether the Swans needed to recruit from NSW to protect against losing players, and the fact that they have never made any effort to actually recruit from NSW suggests otherwise. They have always recruited without looking at state and don't have a history of losing players.
Smith and Bruest are from Temora, that's a fair way from Sydney.
If they were from Sydney we would've chased them pretty hard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back