Player Watch #14 Tim Taranto.

Remove this Banner Ad

There were warning bells in the praccy games and i kept an eye on Taranto today.
14 disposals is simply not good enough. Did not run hard enough. Got spanked by Rowell. Made some really costly blunders also..

Hoping next Thursday he takes his game to another level. The level we saw throughout 2023

Not sure what has happened with Taranto but through the middle of the season last year he struck a very rich vein of form. He got 55 coaches votes in his purple 9 game streak. Since then 1 solitary coaches vote from what is now 10 matches. 6 of those 10 matches he has had player ratings of under 8.0, which is very low for an inside mid. So Taranto's form is getting to be a worry unless he has something up his sleeve. He seemed to do better when other key mids were missing last year. Is he a player who doesn't team well with other mids? Fyfe might be a bit like that.

The thing that shits me most about his game is lack of variance in tempo. Its all the same speed and for a player that isn't clean its a concern. Im at the point where I think he might be better suited to the high half forward role where he can utilise his endurance and have a point of difference when he goes forward as is marking threat forward. In our current set up its too much of the same and between him, Prestia and Hopper he is one who is most capable of playing elsewhere.

People give Hopper shit but he was our best mid yesterday.
I don't think they can both play in the midfield together we need more speed.

Struggles to see the game when he gets the footy and Im not sure he wants the footy as much now that we have put some expectations on him. He’s doubting himself probably for the first time.
I don’t think there is much difference between him and Prestia skill wise but it’s chalk and cheese when Prestia has the footy and what happens next.
He has plenty of ball getting ability so it’s a tricky one.
I like the idea of him playing forward where he knows his next step is to bang it through.

Last edited:
People give Hopper s**t but he was our best mid yesterday.
I don't think they can both play in the midfield together we need more speed.
Hopper had 6 kicks to half time at an efficiency of 0/6 (0%). And finished with an overall disposal efficieny of 52%.

It was another similar performance from him. The reason why he looked ok was because so many other mids were wayyyy down on their usual game. Luckily he bobbed up to kick a couple of goals. So he should have.

Last edited:
Hopper had 6 kicks to half time at an efficiency of 0/6 (0%). And finished with an overall disposal efficieny of 52%.

It was another similar performance from him. The reason why he looked ok was because so many other mids were wayyyy down on their usual game.
He started the game poorly but by the end of the match he was our best midfielder he got better as the game went, our other mids were poorer, all in all terrible performance by the midfield group.

I can recall at least 2 hack kicks from the back half under very little pressure from Taranto that went straight to Gold Coast players and ended up being goals.

You rarely see that with champion players. Taranto does it multiple times in a game.

Disposal still his biggest weakness, and if he has been working on that then he needs to work harder.

Hopper just as bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* me you lot carry on. wins the bnf last year now it's 5 mOrE YEarS!! after one bad game, along with the rest of his team mates.

This joint is toxic.
It’s laughable some of the reactions. I don’t really know what people were expecting? New coach tweaking the game plan, 3 of our most critical players missing, yet they expect it to all click from the get go. I can honestly say I was disheartened at half time with the scores but watching the replay, nothing much was going right. Blind kicks from both sides seemed to land in their arms, and 50/50 calls seemed to go against us.
Second half gives me some hope that it will all click at some point. Personnel change may be needed but too early to call for that into a new regime imo, as they need more than one game to assess where we are at and who fits the game style they want to play.
We did keep them to 3 goals only in second half, and two of them were unnecessary gifts.
I’m not expecting uniform and lineal improvement, it will take a while to get that new style downpat, but we should get there in a reasonably timely manner given there’s still plenty of experience and talent on the list imo.

It’s laughable some of the reactions. I don’t really know what people were expecting? New coach tweaking the game plan, 3 of our most critical players missing, yet they expect it to all click from the get go. I can honestly say I was disheartened at half time with the scores but watching the replay, nothing much was going right. Blind kicks from both sides seemed to land in their arms, and 50/50 calls seemed to go against us.
Second half gives me some hope that it will all click at some point. Personnel change may be needed but too early to call for that into a new regime imo, as they need more than one game to assess where we are at and who fits the game style they want to play.
We did keep them to 3 goals only in second half, and two of them were unnecessary gifts.
I’m not expecting uniform and lineal improvement, it will take a while to get that new style downpat, but we should get there in a reasonably timely manner given there’s still plenty of experience and talent on the list imo.
with ya 100%.

GWS lost to the ****ing Eagles in r2 last year, Bombers in r4, us shortly after that. Now they're premiership favorites.

with ya 100%.

GWS lost to the ******* Eagles in r2 last year, Bombers in r4, us shortly after that. Now they're premiership favorites.
Yep, but they do have a younger and more talented list TT, especially with their midfielders. They are gonna be hard to beat for the premiership this season for sure.

It was one game and he was good last year.

But no exaggeration...that clanger which he bombed across half back for a direct goal assist to the opposition was possibly the worst kick I've ever seen. No other mid being paid what he is is making a kick anywhere near that bad.

It's a serious problem he has with the lack of thought to bang it on the boot without looking and and the lack of foot skills to hurt the opposition and just not hurt our own team when he gets some space.

Last edited:
It was one game and he was good last year.

But no exaggeration...that clanger which he bombed across half back for a direct goal assist to the opposition was possibly the worst kick I've ever seen. No other mid being paid what he is is making a kick anywhere near that bad.

It's a serious problem he has with the lack of thought to bang it on the boot without looking and and the lack of foot skills to hurt the opposition and just not hurt our own team when he gets some space.
Been doing it for years lol. Such a simple kick

This bagging is not an overaction it is justified.
His kicking is so awful he should not be allowed to play he is a momentum killer.
He did not hit any target yesterday and he also cannot handball.
He fumbles too which is just not on. $100000 or $750000 per year doesn’t matter he cannot play at afl level.

Daniel Jackson and Shane Tuck were much better players than Tim

Remove this Banner Ad

Back