Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winless Lions at the Gabba next up for 'pies, not an easy job, ha ha.
While the Lions are winless, from what I've seen so far they will decapitate the Pies at the Gabba and the "champs" will be under the pump a little bit, not because they could be 0-3 but because apart from "patches" here and there, they are not playing good football. There positioning, lack of structure and their champion defence is to put it nicely not coping very well at all. Make no bones about it the Lions will be ready to take the Pies out and prove that they were lucky to win the Grand Final last year.

While the Lions are winless, from what I've seen so far they will decapitate the Pies at the Gabba and the "champs" will be under the pump a little bit, not because they could be 0-3 but because apart from "patches" here and there, they are not playing good football. There positioning, lack of structure and their champion defence is to put it nicely not coping very well at all. Make no bones about it the Lions will be ready to take the Pies out and prove that they were lucky to win the Grand Final last year.

Season over for the loser

Ball was not OOB at that point. Draw a vertical line from the outer edge of the boundary line opposite Higgin's foot and some of the ball is still inbounds.
Ignoring the part where I said he hadnt made contact yet and the ball moved further out.

Last edited:
Sheesh some harsh thoughts on last night's two combatants, on here I do mean.
What stood out for me was both sides ability to take contested marks across the ground and their respective crumbing forwards. Loving what Henry is doing, wish we had him.

I wanted to go early on this call after round zero, but it looks like the ancient trio of Mitchell, Sidebottom, and Pendlebury have all lost a step. You throw in them losing Taylor Adams, and suddenly it's a pretty mediocre-looking Collingwood side. Especially through the middle.

It's not a bold call to make about an 0-3 side, but you would think that they should miss finals from here.

I wanted to go early on this call after round zero, but it looks like the ancient trio of Mitchell, Sidebottom, and Pendlebury have all lost a step. You throw in them losing Taylor Adams, and suddenly it's a pretty mediocre-looking Collingwood side. Especially through the middle.

It's not a bold call to make about an 0-3 side, but you would think that they should miss finals from here.

Freo has their first pick also and they don't have a Nick Daicos F/S to bail them out this time.

If the cliff has in fact come for their senior core, the below is a very skinny group of young best 22 players for the future. A bunch of them are solid role players.

You aren't building a side around Bobby Hill. It's pretty much Daicos x 2 and Quaynor. Moore, Maynard and DeGoey wont last a rebuild.

Could be West Coast all over again tbh, or at best Richmond of the last few years.

1711058099038.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ignoring the part where I said he hadnt made contact yet and the ball moved further out.
But you cannot state definitively that the ball was OOB prior to Higgins kicking it as there is no frame which shows the whole ball to be completely over the line. You are just guessing that the ball must have completely crossed the line prior to being kicked.

What stood out for me was both sides ability to take contested marks across the ground and their respective crumbing forwards. Loving what Henry is doing, wish we had him.
I thought Paul Curtis' crumbing was excellent last week. Could do with some mates tho.

But you cannot state definitively that the ball was OOB prior to Higgins kicking it as there is no frame which shows the whole ball to be completely over the line. You are just guessing that the ball must have completely crossed the line prior to being kicked.
His foot is cm from making contact with the ball and moving alot faster than the ball. I agree you can't say definitely but I reckon it would still be in when he kicked it.

I thought Paul Curtis' crumbing was excellent last week. Could do with some mates tho.

If he gets another 6 or so touches this week it will just about get us over the line.

One thing that was missed in his game last week was after the first 1/4 and a bit he was very important in being 3rd man up and getting the ball to ground. We still got slaughtered in the air but without curtis I reckon they would've taken another 15 intercept marks.

Andrew Gaff is staring his football mortality in the face.

The West Coast Eagles midfielder, who will be 32 in June, was pulled from his side's losing effort against Port Adelaide early in the third quarter on Sunday. He'd had four touches.

Speaking on Channel 7, Eagles coach Adam Simpson said he did not believe Gaff's AFL decline was terminal, but flagged he would be playing for West Coast's reserves in a WAFL practice match this weekend.

"He didn't have a good day," Simpson said.

The West Coast Eagles midfielder, who will be 32 in June, was pulled from his side's losing effort against Port Adelaide early in the third quarter on Sunday. He'd had four touches.

Speaking on Channel 7, Eagles coach Adam Simpson said he did not believe Gaff's AFL decline was terminal, but flagged he would be playing for West Coast's reserves in a WAFL practice match this weekend.

Reckon he’s getting the tap on the shoulder this year… we won’t want to play all year in the WAFL

We will get someone like him - need to show something first.

Freo has their first pick also and they don't have a Nick Daicos F/S to bail them out this time.

If the cliff has in fact come for their senior core, the below is a very skinny group of young best 22 players for the future. A bunch of them are solid role players.

You aren't building a side around Bobby Hill. It's pretty much Daicos x 2 and Quaynor. Moore, Maynard and DeGoey wont last a rebuild.

Could be West Coast all over again tbh, or at best Richmond of the last few years.

View attachment 1935424
Pies went from having the 12th oldest list in 2022 to the oldest this year.

Thankfully the footy gods spared us this millstone from around our necks.

He and Darling and probably others. Amateur team management not helped by giving up all those picks for Kelly
Yeah and WCE supporters are the first to say we shouldn't get PP's because we did this to ourselves.

Their list management has been diabolical, but they will absolutely have their hands out at seasons end to scoop up some PP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back