Autopsy The not even The Bont, Libbas and Jones' heroics can drag us over the line against the cats thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We were on top for most of the game against a team that is now 4-0. If a dodgy review decision doesn’t go against us we win.

That was a good performance from us, Geelong have often showed how they’re much better than us, tonight was a lot closer and much more hard fought.

Should be able to take positives out of the performance even if the result wasn’t there.

Lots of positives to take out of that.

More confident in the rest of the season after tonight’s game than I was after the GC and WC games.

What’s with people calling Geelong putrid and crap?

I can’t stand them either but clearly they are a good side.
Yep, Geelong are a very good side.
It’s funny the people obsessed about commentators, are also the same people who keep saying Geelong is going to fall off a cliff.

Some supporters have a particular context for being fed up and not wanting to laud an honourable loss to Geelong. Here's mine:

I grew up in a Geelong supporting household as a Bulldogs supporter. It was Geelong-this and Geelong-that. Constantly. The first Bulldogs game I ever attended was an elimination final versus Geelong nearly fifty years ago. We went down by seven points in an honourable loss. Cue the next five decades of honourable losses and spankings at the hands of the Cats, including every final we have played against them. Couple this with being constantly reminded of this by my Cats supporting family.

Yeah, I can't see past that. We should have won tonight. We didn't. I'm pretty angry.
Growing up my mum had a flog of a boyfriend who supported the cats and would always get stuck into me every time they beat us , these cats losses haunt me every year

In the end Geelong were just a little cleaner with ball in hand and composed as they didn't get sucked into the action nearly as much as we did. On far too many occasions we had multiple guys playing hot potato with 1 metre handballs due to a lack of outside options. This has been an issue for a long time. So long in fact that teams know to sweat on us that the ball is as likely to be turned over as cleared.

I think for the most part the strategies put in place to control Cameron and Stewart worked ok. Khamis played very well, he was played to his strengths where he is better suited to a more static role where he can read the flight of the ball. It was usually left to others to cover Cameron when he went up the ground. Much the same with West who made sure that Stewart wasn't just waltzing out of defence at will. As we've become very accustomed to. If West had kicked at 1 or 2 of the gettable shots on goal then it would've been much closer to win for both West and obviously the team.

I know we're very disappoint. But just like Sam Darcy tearing the game a new one. I dont think we're far off.

Last edited:
Umpires call a behind. Silent review stop the play. Oh s**t it’s a behind better call a mark because I’m not supposed to review a behind I hope the umpire gets sacked. Gave Geelong momentum to get 28 pts up. Against the laws of the game. Better still have two umpires on the ground and two umpires in the stands watching tv and tell the umpires on the field to blow the whistle because to many free kicks arnt getting paid and not consistent absolute train wreck and making the game hard to watch.

Huh?
I'd put Hawkins and Cameron ahead of McKay and Curnow as the best KPF duo in the comp and they have the best defender in the game right now too, and the best HF in the comp.
They're stacked and they're undefeated for a reason.
They have 4 AA quality forwards (Hawkins, Cameron, Miers, Stengle - then Close, Dempsey and Henry are all very good players). Most teams barely have 2 good forwards, let alone this much talent. Geelong are, on paper, the most talented side in the competition and one of the most well coached

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just realised we had 7 players who did not lay a single tackle and 4 more who laid just 1, while Macrae the sub laid 3 in just over 20% of game time.

We relied far too heavily on Bont, Libba and Treloar tonight and they realistically could not have done any more.

Baker, Bramble, Dale, Daniel and Johannisen all had poor games in my opinion but I was particularly disappointed in Daniel. With spots on the line he dishes up a performance like that, a couple of really crucial unforced turnovers that lead to scores.

Love Vandermeer's pressure and run but his game awareness is just non-existent, he's been caught holding the ball in at least 3 of 4 matches this year Gallagher had a great first half but was very quiet in the second and gave away that 50 late in the game.

Got within 4 points of a side who is just objectively better than us. Pretty good effort. If the Cats weren't coming off a 5 day break I doubt we get that close. Unfortunately the heroics from 2 individuals can't overcome the massive gap in system between the two sides. Geelong didn't have to exert as much effort as we did and still came out on top.
How do we close that gap Scrag? Dogs played so well tonight, or at least our best players did! I still don’t get how we can go with 3 key talls ( Darcy, Astro & JUH) yet our defence is undersized. Individually we played so well tonight. Did we lose because of talent? I don’t think so.

Stengle review was the correct decision. Why are people complaining about it?
He got his hands to it before it had completely crossed the line, but didn't control the ball until after it had definitely crossed it. It should have been a behind.

Plus because it was so close and at very least, debatable either way, then the umpires call of a behind should have stood.

No way was it clearly a mark, and a definitive case for an overrule.

Last edited:
Growing up my mum had a flog of a boyfriend who supported the cats and would always get stuck into me every time they beat us , these cats losses haunt me every year

Yeah, I just can't tolerate losses to Geelong. Had enough of them in finals, home and away, it absolutely kills me.

I don't care if it's honourable, dishonourable or whatever, a loss is a loss. We lost. Again. End of story.

Until we as a club (same against Melbourne) sort our collective heads out and make a stand, these losses will keep happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back