Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow - signed to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the responsibility to lead the midfield with Baker. Started well then went completely missing. 13 touches seems about his go and it's just not enough. When he was on we had midfield dominance then became mr invisible and stopped cracking in and basically held the door for a 19 yr old to waltz away with it.

It was an avalanche and Dow was the only one who actually tried to get first hands on the ball. He is never going to compete with the likes of Yeo, a 2x b&F winner having a great season and built like a brick s**t house. He put some tackle pressure on as well. He is never going to be a leader of a midfield, besides who is going to take his place.

It was Graham who needed to stand up and extract the ball against bigger bodies, but he played from behind and watched the ball clear the area. Graham had a good first Q, like MacIntosh, when we had the ball.

MacAuliffe did a few nice things early but it was like men playing against boys. Baker has been used before as a mid but is always brushed aside.

All 4-5 of their midfielders were built, we could not compete without the muscle of Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Ross etc. Even Bolton was ineffective in the midfield, Dusty is no longer a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield was poor, but he deserves criticism he isn't going to be player im telling you like it is.
I'll get on to the others in their threads.
I thought he was the only mid who didn't deserve criticism because he was the only one who got inside their mids and attempted to find the ball. All the rest played from the outside and just chased tail. Sure he didn't get it enough, but at least he tried.

Slow, too undersized and struggles to hold a tackle. I’m still undecided with him as I can’t see him getting stronger if he hasn’t after five seasons. Should be a backup player 24-30 on the list and only used bc of a few injuries, but bc of the high number he’s getting a gig with a lot of other vfl players and list cloggers and looks horrible.

I’m not potting him on today’s performance, but nothing I’ve seen from him at AFL level this season or previous years, gives me the slightest bit of confidence that he should be part of our midfield mix going forward. Have a look at Dow and then look around at the physical specimens that roll through the midfield for opposition teams.

I’m not potting him on today’s performance, but nothing I’ve seen from him at AFL level this season or previous years, gives me the slightest bit of confidence that he should be part of our midfield mix going forward. Have a look at Dow and then look around at the physical specimens that roll through the midfield for opposition teams.
His game in Adelaide last year was clearly his best, consistency and taking that next step is his big challenge. Not the first player to be at the crossroads at this point in their career, the silver lining is that at the end of this year he would have been given more than a fair chance to demo his potential.

I have my fingers crossed for him as I do like his endeavour.

His game in Adelaide last year was clearly his best, consistency and taking that next step is his big challenge. Not the first player to be at the crossroads at this point in their career, the silver lining is that at the end of this year he would have been given more than a fair chance to demo his potential.

I have my fingers crossed for him as I do like his endeavour.
can’t see Dow making it.

Would have loved to see Ross , get a crack at reinventing himself in the midfield this year. Shame he’s gone down too, because right now is a great opportunity to play some serious midfield time.

McAullife is the other one that needs to keep playing. Looked a bit off the pace today, but think he may have been a bit hindered by an ankle, and needs to build a tank.

Midfield (along with KPF ) is a big priority in upcoming drafts. See how a couple of big kids in WestCoasts midfield has given them a completely different look. No doubt it’s where games are won and lost as we saw today

can’t see Dow making it.

Would have loved to see Ross , get a crack at reinventing himself in the midfield this year. Shame he’s gone down too, because right now is a great opportunity to play some serious midfield time.

McAullife is the other one that needs to keep playing. Looked a bit off the pace today, but think he may have been a bit hindered by an ankle, and needs to build a tank.

Midfield (along with KPF ) is a big priority in upcoming drafts. See how a couple of big kids in WestCoasts midfield has given them a completely different look. No doubt it’s where games are won and lost as we saw today
Yep you're probably right but we'll know in 15 games from now.... After all the shitty luck we've had, we're bound to have some diamonds emerge, hoping for Dow.

I'm bullish about McAullffe but I don't reckon Sonsie makes it as a pure midfielder the more I see of him and Dow isn't lining up in any serious AFL teams midfield currently. Was hoping to focus on netting some KPP in the draft but I reckon our first pick needs to be a gun midfielder. Dow needs to reinvent himself as a winger or something in the remaining games imo.

I'm bullish about McAullffe but I don't reckon Sonsie makes it as a pure midfielder the more I see of him and Dow isn't lining up in any serious AFL teams midfield. Was hoping to focus on netting some KPP in the draft but I reckon our first pick needs to be a gun midfielder. Dow needs to reinvent himself as a winger or something in the remaining games imo.

Our first pick will be best available regardless of position.

On the totality of what we've seen from him, I would not be resigning him.

He has about 17 games to prove otherwise, given second/third tier midfielders are fairly easy to acquire via draft, trade or FA, there's no need to hold onto him indefinitely.
He is a dud the same as he's brother sounds harsh but it's true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back