Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of things which have not happened before happen all the time.

There is a lot to play out, but you have addressed some key needs this off season and look in as good a position as ever to go deep into September this year.

The good ol' missing pieces story. Been hearing that for 11 years now. Ken's got 2 years to run on his contract with what appears to be a succession plan with Carr replacing him.

However a lot of people noticing Ken is on the bench most games without a headset. He doesn't appear to be directing players during match time either. So is he there as a puppet and Carr is actually pulling the strings?

The good ol' missing pieces story. Been hearing that for 11 years now. Ken's got 2 years to run on his contract with what appears to be a succession plan with Carr replacing him.

However a lot of people noticing Ken is on the bench most games without a headset. He doesn't appear to be directing players during match time either. So is he there as a puppet and Carr is actually pulling the strings?
Pretty sure Hinkley is a puppet when you win, and the mastermind when you lose

How do you not get this?

He's objectively underperformed four finals series in a row. He cannot get it done in knockout finals, even in finals where we have been warm favourites. There is absolutely nothing he can do in the H&A season that even addresses the criticism of him, let alone defeats it.
Plenty said the same about Chris Scott and Geelong in 2022. Like Scott, this could be the year he really has figured out the formula and will be able to carry H&A form to finals.

Plenty said the same about Chris Scott and Geelong in 2022.
If they did they weren't very clever, because Scott already had two grand finals and a premiership by the point Hinkley is currently at in his coaching career.

And also Geelong mostly lost finals they were expected to lose in the years they were knocked out of finals, as opposed to Hinkley who has been knocked out of finals at home by lower ranked teams in four consecutive finals series.

Can't help but notice all the Port fans on FB still bagging Hinkley after the win on Saturday night. They have already given up on the season after a 4--1 start and with the team looking very much like a finals contender.

Seems that many of them truly want Hinkley to fail more than they want him to take them to a GF. I'm sure some would still be hating on him if he was holding the Premiership cup aloft.

It really is a bizarre situation over there.
Because it's a red herring/groundhog day situation with the soon to be biggest failure coach. Port's been down the same road before many times with Hinkley, even a prime position 11-4 record in 2018 that ended up resulting in them missing finals altogether. The 253 coached matches Hinkley can't even compete with 10 other current AFL coaches who have at least been runner up coaches.

Plenty said the same about Chris Scott and Geelong in 2022. Like Scott, this could be the year he really has figured out the formula and will be able to carry H&A form to finals.
Chris Scott was already a premiership coach and had made 2 grand finals as coach before 2022, another false equivalent comparing a successful coach to a failure in Hinkley.

Hinkley is a fantastic coach. He has gotten the absolute best out of an average list.

I highly doubt you'd find many (if any) sides that would have beaten the giants tonight with the way they moved the ball. And no one is beating Brisbane at the Gabba at the moment.
I have to agree with you on a few points.

Got this port Adelaide side in regular finals spots.

Never had less than 10 wins . I don't think port Adelaide have finished bottom 4 or bottom 6 since 2013.

I have been copped poo for this. Considering since 2012 where it's 18 teams and 8 finals spots, 5 finals wins from 2013-21 isn't bad.

Hell Hinkley could be freos coach for 10-12 years . I would be happy if Hinkley went to Freo and won 3 or 4 finals in a 12 year period. If that means 6 or 7 Elim finals in a 12 year period, it's not bad

I have to agree with you on a few points.

Got this port Adelaide side in regular finals spots.

Never had less than 10 wins . I don't think port Adelaide have finished bottom 4 or bottom 6 since 2013.

I have been copped poo for this. Considering since 2012 where it's 18 teams and 8 finals spots, 5 finals wins from 2013-21 isn't bad.

Hell Hinkley could be freos coach for 10-12 years . I would be happy if Hinkley went to Freo and won 3 or 4 finals in a 12 year period. If that means 6 or 7 Elim finals in a 12 year period, it's not bad
You're a Hinklephile but that just balances out the Hinklephobes.

This is wild. How many ‘missing pieces’ have we recruited during this time? (Which, to Hinkley’s credit, he has had a role in bringing over)

Monfries, Polec, White, *Ryder, Dixon, Rockliff, Motlop, Watts, Lycett, Burton, Aliir, Fantasia, Finlayson, JHF, Rioli, Ratugolea, Soldo, BZT

Noting that all players brought in after * were added to a team that lost to Hawthorn by 3 points in the 2014 prelim, and were subsequently premiership favourites heading into 2015

Draft wise?

DBJ, (Impey, Amon, Howard, Frampton), Houston, SPP, Marshall, Drew, Farrell, Rozee, Butters, (Duursma), Bergman, Georgiades, Lord

Our drafting, given the picks that we’ve had would be the envy of many in the competition.

And yet, he still burnt through the careers of Robbie Gray, Westhoff, Ebert, Hartlett, Jonas and soon Boak with nothing to show for it

(All Australians in bold)

To point your finger at the playing list, as if it’s held the coaching genius back is complete silliness

Im still not 100% on the matter about Ken, just still felt the list never peaked in one year, in the Richmond prelim in 2020 (2021 forgot the year) players like Boak who you bolded missed set shots which would have won the game. 2014 Hawks was unlucky again bad kicking killed us, we had a good injury run in 2014, in 2015 we had a few injuries which affected the young team. Again in both those years we just miss on a prelim, do we get the result with a better leg up like a father son/priority pick? We paid a high price for both Dixon and Ryder, other clubs got free hits in come cases, we never did.

Ryder killed us not taking the ban for the bombers drug saga and sitting that year out. Other players were decent pick ups but as an overall team are we better than the Richmond dynasty? Last year Pies pinched it, with close wins against GWS and Brisbane in the finals. Both have very good lists with A graders across each line.

This year is the first year I am confident we have depth in most positions. Just need to stay healthy.

Also agree with the drafting we have done very well considering.

Well over here in Victoria we got a broadcast feed that showed Hinkley giving direction to the players. Perhaps it is censored in SA?

Pretty sure Hinkley is a puppet when you win, and the mastermind when you lose

This is just putting your hands over your ears and ignoring history. Everyone knows we can win games in round 5. We'll probably finish in the top 5 or so. Port winning early regular season games isn't new or some sort of gotcha. Anyone who is trying to argue in favour of Ken Hinkley based on a round 5 game needs to go back to kindergarten and work on pattern recognition.

Ken Hinkley's season starts in finals. He has 2 finals wins in 10 seasons, and neither of them were knockout finals.

3 goals? That isn't that close. Hinkleys shitness held us back from those being comfortable 5 goal wins.
Ken Hinkley is an attacking coach.

He isnt as defensive as other coaches like Ross Lyon or Clarkson in his final 2 or 3 years at the hawks.

This is just putting your hands over your ears and ignoring history. Everyone knows we can win games in round 5. We'll probably finish in the top 5 or so. Port winning early regular season games isn't new or some sort of gotcha. Anyone who is trying to argue in favour of Ken Hinkley based on a round 5 game needs to go back to kindergarten and work on pattern recognition.

Ken Hinkley's season starts in finals. He has 2 finals wins in 10 seasons, and neither of them were knockout finals.
2 finals wins in 10 seasons isnt bad.

Essendon hasnt won a final since your team won a flag in 2004.

Gold coast hasnt even played a final yet and they have been in the comp since 2011.

Crows havent made finals since making a grand final since 2017. They are slowly becoming essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 finals wins in 10 seasons isnt bad.

Essendon hasnt won a final since your team won a flag in 2004.

Gold coast hasnt even played a final yet and they have been in the comp since 2011.

Crows havent made finals since making a grand final since 2017. They are slowly becoming essendon.

Oh yeah, we should keep our coach forever because we're barely outpacing the worst clubs in the league over the past 20 years. :thumbsu:

Oh yeah, we should keep our coach forever because we're barely outpacing the worst clubs in the league over the past 20 years. :thumbsu:

I always wanted to ask you this question. Schulzenfest , hear me out....

Would you trade either the 2013 elim final win vs collingwood or the 2014 semi final win vs freo, in exchange..... a win in either prelim final in 2020 or 2021?

Would you trade either the 2013 elim final win vs collingwood or the 2014 semi final win vs freo, in exchange..... a win in either prelim final in 2020 or 2021?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes, duh.

What kind of question is this?

What kind of question is this?
Right?

It wasn't even, like, "would you trade both your finals wins in 2014 for a prelim" or something, where my answer would still be the same but there would at least be some sort of counterargument. It was just "would you like this one thing or would you like this other objectively better one thing?"

Port Adelaide are 9-3 from their last 12 games decided by 3 goals or less.

If Hinkley gets them close lately, Port have a good track record of closing the deal.
I challenge you to watch the last 2 mins of the Port Freo game and tell me that was good management rather than good luck

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't help but notice all the Port fans on FB still bagging Hinkley after the win on Saturday night. They have already given up on the season after a 4--1 start and with the team looking very much like a finals contender.

Seems that many of them truly want Hinkley to fail more than they want him to take them to a GF. I'm sure some would still be hating on him if he was holding the Premiership cup aloft.

It really is a bizarre situation over there.
Yeah I can't see any reason why Port fans would not want to get their hopes up during another strong minor round performance with the same game plan and same challenges against top 4 sides.

We can only hope but you will excuse us for being sceptical based on all historical evidence.

Im still not 100% on the matter about Ken, just still felt the list never peaked in one year, in the Richmond prelim in 2020 (2021 forgot the year) players like Boak who you bolded missed set shots which would have won the game. 2014 Hawks was unlucky again bad kicking killed us, we had a good injury run in 2014, in 2015 we had a few injuries which affected the young team. Again in both those years we just miss on a prelim, do we get the result with a better leg up like a father son/priority pick? We paid a high price for both Dixon and Ryder, other clubs got free hits in come cases, we never did.

Ryder killed us not taking the ban for the bombers drug saga and sitting that year out. Other players were decent pick ups but as an overall team are we better than the Richmond dynasty? Last year Pies pinched it, with close wins against GWS and Brisbane in the finals. Both have very good lists with A graders across each line.

This year is the first year I am confident we have depth in most positions. Just need to stay healthy.

Also agree with the drafting we have done very well considering.
That's his fault, then, not sure why somehow it's not Hinkley's fault that he didn't pick the right players, the recruiting is done under his instructions. Players like Dixon specifically came to Port because of their connection at The Suns. Also, I don't get the "no other senior coach could do better" argument, when we've seen Buckley get fired from a 17th placed Collingwood, then McRae taking Collingwood to a premiership, 2 years later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back