Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What blank check book?
They'll already paying Clarkson 23% of their salary cap apparently.
Well if AFL is going to offer them additional assistance, maybe it should be in the form of soft cap relief so they can build a good recruitment and development program. That to me is more important than getting more elite talent in.

I thought the fun fact was that the recruiters all walked because management kept overruling their list decisions, and the management decisions were the bad ones.
Only one of them works in football now, which probably tells you all you need to know about their abilities in recruitment.

Well if AFL is going to offer them additional assistance, maybe it should be in the form of soft cap relief so they can build a good recruitment and development program. That to me is more important than getting more elite talent in.
Soft cap relief only sets them up for the future, isn't going to stop them getting flogged in the now. That's all the AFL is concerned about, having watchable games every week.

They should bring in rules for north similar to the top up player requirements the bombers had so there isn't a dead rubber every weekend.

They were better last year tbh.

Lost a few close games and at times they dominated some good teams for decent periods of games(Melbourne & Sydney).

Players just look totally disinterested. Is it on the coach, or their leaders? Coach needs to make a statement and drop some senior players, like Simpkin and LDU, because they're taking the piss.

You can get smashed but all fans want to see is effort and they're not even giving that.

They were better last year tbh.

Lost a few close games and at times they dominated some good teams for decent periods of games(Melbourne & Sydney).

Players just look totally disinterested. Is it on the coach, or their leaders? Coach needs to make a statement and drop some senior players, like Simpkin and LDU, because they're taking the piss.

You can get smashed but all fans want to see is effort and they're not even giving that.
When Ratts was coaching, they were.

Ironically, that's the description that was given to Brady Rawlings when we got him from West Coast.

Wasn't Brady partially responsible for binning the Eagles as well.

It's amazing how one bloke has pretty much bottomed out (TBC for North) two clubs.

Wasn't Brady partially responsible for binning the Eagles as well.

It's amazing how one bloke has pretty much bottomed out (TBC for North) two clubs.
Nah, he had a good trade with GC which got us extra 2nd rounders, which Netted us Ryan, from memory.

I forget the exact trade.

He took the job as football manager at North when he first left, even though he was advised against it by Nisbett/Vozzo due to inexperience. Kind of makes sense now.

Fisher was an absolute horrible pickup for them he was a pussy at the blues and low and behold he's been a total fraud for them he will be lucky to be on a list in 2 years
The worst part is he has been better than Stephens. There IS a fraud. There are possums hiding and scattering in my backyard with more balls than him.

When Ratts was coaching, they were.
One day we'll get a memoir and find out WTF went on for the blues to sack him. A favourite son sacked with an 11-11 record for a messiah coaching appointment.

As for North. 8th year out of finals this year and the spine is a shambles. Logue, Dawson x2, Comben, Xerri and Larkey is atrocious. Larkey the only gun and he was there before the rebuild.

North have far greater issues than missing out on Reid.
Have LDU*, Powell, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Phillips and Goater.

*A shocking spine and LDU at 24 considering leaving, likely struggling to see North being good before he's in his twilight are far more concerning than Harley Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so last week the dogs looked cooked and should ditch bevo now the roos are awful and the rebuild is failing, hawks played to there peak and smashed the roos off intense training.

list wise they are better placed then the hawks imo

North should sign up Boomer Harvey in the MSD.

Get him to 450.

He'd still be in their top 5 players.
I honestly think they'd have been better off keeping Dan Howe on the list rather than trading for Fisher.

If the rumors are true about Zurhaar and LDU, then I actually have no clue what the path forward is.

For LDU, trade him for leaders. Forget picks, they’re pointless.
And where would these leaders come from who want to win 2-3 games a season as the club would be bleeding its best talents?

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

And where would these leaders come from who want to win 2-3 games a season as the club would be bleeding its best talents?

North should be given an enhanced salary cap for two years, with a possibility to extend if their youngsters haven't come on by then.

We ask the same of every rebuilding side.

There are always players out there who can help.

They may not be the greatest footballers but they don’t have to be.

What is crucial though is that you get the right players in. Talent ID is critical, not just for young kids coming through the junior system.

Stephens, Fisher were the wrong type of player. Nice to have in the right system, but not at North. Not where they’re currently at.

North should be given an enhanced salary cap for two years, with a possibility to extend if their youngsters haven't come on by then.

Great in theory. But for many players money isn’t everything.

This is why I laugh at people claiming their club has an “war chest” of salary cap space.

People have different motivations. Some are motivated by money. For many, success and lifestyle are just as important, if not more so.

Carlton throwing money at players over the years with little success taught me that.

An enhanced salary cap probably creates more issues than it solves.

I’d trade LDU to Saints now. No point delaying the inevitable. I’d pick up Dougal Howard plus first rounder

I’d definitely be targeting Rory Laird. Give him a 4 year deal. Start him in the middle and finish his career at half back

What is crucial though is that you get the right players in. Talent ID is critical, not just for young kids coming through the junior system.

Stephens, Fisher were the wrong type of player. Nice to have in the right system, but not at North. Not where they’re currently at.

This is why I laugh at people claiming their club has an “war chest” of salary cap space.

People have different motivations. Some are motivated by money. For many, success and lifestyle are just as important, if not more so.

Carlton throwing money at players over the years with little success taught me that.

Fisher/Stephens are not nice to have in the right system. Both were absolute plodders

Agree with all of that, however if their core players are all leaving because they want success, then something needs to be done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back