Prediction North Melbourne or Richmond. Who will finish higher in 2024 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

North have lost so much experience across the park, and depth. How could you look at that weakened defence and think that they’ll win many if any more games in 2024?

1400 games of experience lost across the list without adding any hardened bodies that will move the needle. A list that was screaming out for AFL assistance only 3 months ago, and all those draft picks will take some time.

They’re the closest thing to a lock for the wooden spoon that we’ve seen, particularly if as expected the Eagles fitness problems get fixed. That spine will win them games.
Things have to go terrible wrong at any other clubs to beat out the Roos for the spoon.

Richmond probably won’t trouble the finals, and I’ve questioned the Yze hype ‘by association with Clarko’ for a number of years so I’m not as big on the new coach bump, but they’ve got a bunch of genuine match winners and more hardened bodies so should definitely out perform the Roos even if they start the season slowly like the Giants did with their new coach.

Last edited:

Tigers, but if North keep getting priority pick handouts by the AFL there is going to come a point in time where they blow past a few clubs.
or their salary cap blows up and they lose their stars in their prime

Roos will want to be bottom 2 next year for more delicious handouts.

Then start trying in 2025.
Lol All the Hawks posters talking about handouts in here who clearly have a short history problem.

You do remember Luke Hodge, Jarryd Roughead and Xavier Ellis, yeah? Guess what they have in common….? Here’s a clue, it ain’t a premiership.

Lol All the Hawks posters talking about handouts in here who clearly have a short history problem.

You do remember Luke Hodge, Jarryd Roughead and Xavier Ellis, yeah? Guess what they have in common….? Here’s a clue, it ain’t a premiership.

Luke Hodge? Feel free to explain.

We traded for the pick that got Luke Hodge. Is that what you mean?

North have lost so much experience across the park, and depth. How could you look at that weakened defence and think that they’ll win many if any more games in 2024?

1400 games of experience lost across the list without adding any hardened bodies that will move the needle. A list that was screaming out for AFL assistance only 3 months ago, and all those draft picks will take some time.

They’re the closest thing to a lock for the wooden spoon that we’ve seen, particularly if as expected the Eagles fitness problems get fixed. That spine will win them games.
Things have to go terrible wrong at any other clubs to beat out the Roos for the spoon.

Richmond probably won’t trouble the finals, and I’ve questioned the Yze hype ‘by association with Clarko’ for a number of years so I’m not as big on the new coach bump, but they’ve got a bunch of genuine match winners and more hardened bodies so should definitely out perform the Roos even if they start the season slowly like the Giants did with their new coach.
I do agree that if you're just looking at stats like average age, games played etc, the spoon is ours to avoid. I don't really think we'll be worse than last year though. The only experienced player whose departure really hurts us is Todd Goldstein, not that he's still the titan he used to be, more because our backup rucks look so underwhelming. Cunnington and Ziebell were out of the side already and we won without them in Round 24. Others like Hall, Howe and Turner were pretty far off it and won't really be missed, just the addition of Fisher and Stephens covers anything they offered.

I think the core that delivered the few wins and solid losing performances is undeniably a young one and you'd think they'll mostly get better and more consistent next year. A lot of it is going to depend on getting a full season out of certain players who've been injury prone and missed a lot of footy in the past like Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cam Zurhaar, Will Phillips and Tarryn Thomas (less injury prone in that case than idiotic behaviour prone). I do think it's a fallacy to assume that high draft picks = inevitable climb up the ladder, but I've seen what those guys can do when they're in full flight, they all missed a lot of footy last year and it's hard to see us not improving if they get a consistent run at it.

We'll see. And if the season's another long, seemingly endless nightmare, at least we have the AFLW to look forward to.

Richmond should clearly.

It's not impossible that North improve significantly and get to 8-10 wins and sneak ahead of Richmond. Unlikely though.

It's hard to see how Richmond completely bombs and gets less than 8 wins. It would require a complete meltdown cause their talent should get them at least that many.

I do agree that if you're just looking at stats like average age, games played etc, the spoon is ours to avoid. I don't really think we'll be worse than last year though. The only experienced player whose departure really hurts us is Todd Goldstein, not that he's still the titan he used to be, more because our backup rucks look so underwhelming. Cunnington and Ziebell were out of the side already and we won without them in Round 24. Others like Hall, Howe and Turner were pretty far off it and won't really be missed, just the addition of Fisher and Stephens covers anything they offered.

I think the core that delivered the few wins and solid losing performances is undeniably a young one and you'd think they'll mostly get better and more consistent next year. A lot of it is going to depend on getting a full season out of certain players who've been injury prone and missed a lot of footy in the past like Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cam Zurhaar, Will Phillips and Tarryn Thomas (less injury prone in that case than idiotic behaviour prone). I do think it's a fallacy to assume that high draft picks = inevitable climb up the ladder, but I've seen what those guys can do when they're in full flight, they all missed a lot of footy last year and it's hard to see us not improving if they get a consistent run at it.

We'll see. And if the season's another long, seemingly endless nightmare, at least we have the AFLW to look forward to.
I don’t know how you could be confident that Fisher will do anything. Same for Stephens.

The loss of depth, regardless of how good they were will mean you’re forced to play players who aren’t yet ready and with the youngest and least experienced list in the comp that could spell trouble with even just a few injuries.

That backline looks seriously shakey and inexperienced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 players over a few years vs 6 picks in a year.

Yeah, its so the same.

Any danger of the same 4-5 hawk posters throwing their obsession into one thread?

Richmond should easily unless all hell breaks loose at Punt road.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back