Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with all of that, however if their core players are leaving because they want success, then something needs to be done.

Sure. They can’t just sit on their hands and wait for the wheel to turn.

No club can.

But they also can’t panic. If someone wants to leave, let them leave.

Make sure you have the right people at the club, both on the field and off it.

Be smart, methodical, and probably above all else, don’t listen to the outside noise.

I’d trade LDU to Saints now. No point delaying the inevitable. I’d pick up Dougal Howard plus first rounder

I’d definitely be targeting Rory Laird. Give him a 4 year deal. Start him in the middle and finish his career at half back
heck me, Doug Howard?

Haven't we suffered enough already?

We ask the same of every rebuilding side.

There are always players out there who can help.

They may not be the greatest footballers but they don’t have to be.

What is crucial though is that you get the right players in. Talent ID is critical, not just for young kids coming through the junior system.

Stephens, Fisher were the wrong type of player. Nice to have in the right system, but not at North. Not where they’re currently at.

Great in theory. But for many players money isn’t everything.

This is why I laugh at people claiming their club has an “war chest” of salary cap space.

People have different motivations. Some are motivated by money. For many, success and lifestyle are just as important, if not more so.

Carlton throwing money at players over the years with little success taught me that.

An enhanced salary cap probably creates more issues than it solves.
Sure, we can bring in some leaders, and I'm all for that, but letting a player like LDU go is throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Were not attracting anyone in the prime or about to hit their peak as a free agent. Why would you.

I think we need to look at anyone approaching 30 and with a solid year or 2 left in them and see what itll take to get them to come across.

Been looking at other club lists and Zach Tuohy, Callan Ward, Dane Rampe, Jeremy Howe, Mark Blicavs, Mitch Duncan, Jarryd Lyons, Sam Day, David Swallow, Matt Taberner - these are the type of names we should be targeting with large contracts to come in and provide cover for Wardlaw and Sheezel and McKercher and Larkey and Comben for a year or 2 until the list is ready.

Darcy Tucker and Dylan Stephens and Zac Fisher are not the f***ing answer.

After all these years David Swallow can finally get to North Melbourne.

Sure, we can bring in some leaders, and I'm all for that, but letting a player like LDU go is throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

I wouldn’t be trading LDU.

In his case I would certainly hold him to his contract even if he does want to leave.

They were better last year tbh.

Lost a few close games and at times they dominated some good teams for decent periods of games(Melbourne & Sydney).

Players just look totally disinterested. Is it on the coach, or their leaders? Coach needs to make a statement and drop some senior players, like Simpkin and LDU, because they're taking the piss.

You can get smashed but all fans want to see is effort and they're not even giving that.
Perhaps losing Ziebell, Cunnington, Goldstein & McKay were bigger losses than we expected.

Also Logue injury doesn't help when our defensive stocks are bottom of the barrel.

Fisher & Stephens seem to be a bust.
Zurhaar one foot out the door.

We have no leaders, seniors spudding it up and the kids are getting beat up every week.

Loser mentality across the whole club.
Don't know when or how anything changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fisher isn’t a plodder.

Not a leader or someone to necessarily drive standards, but he can play.
He’s not in the best role right now with the Sheezel & Scott also in defence with him. Is nowhere near as effective when having to actually defend.

Cant have nothing and complain when you get a bowl of porridge to eat. It might not be tasty but atleast its something

I didn't realise one of the best mids in the league, who is still contracted until 2025, is nothing.

But anyway.

What did you pay for Kelly again?

I just looked it up - Pick 14,18,24,33.

I’d trade LDU to Saints now. No point delaying the inevitable. I’d pick up Dougal Howard plus first rounder

I’d definitely be targeting Rory Laird. Give him a 4 year deal. Start him in the middle and finish his career at half back

Why would LDU wanna go from one irrelevant club to another one

I honestly think they'd have been better off keeping Dan Howe on the list rather than trading for Fisher.

Yep, Howe was an average footballer but he always gave 100% and never dropped his shoulders. The team needs a few of these older types who never give up to lead all the kids.

The AFL gave the Roos later picks to be used for trades but they couldnt get anyone of any quality to join them. Maybe cap concession is the better option and they just throw $800k a year to a few solid battlers.

Bayside club 🤣

You don't think Moorabbin is Bayside? Linton St is 4 minutes up South Rd from Brighton Beach.

Most of the St Kilda players all live in Beaumaris, Black Rock etc. Quite a few of them live down the Penninsula (where LDU is from and is a massive surfer).

LDU himself lives in Elwood.

If LDU wanted to move back down the Peninsula, the best AFL club to do that is St Kilda, until Hawthorns Dingley training base is built.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back