Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously doubt that in current form, even a full strength Collingwood could beat the Blooose.
We are simply out of form and, despite a few bursts of form, no one could say that there is a glimmer of hope of executing four quarters anytime soon.
I’m sure there is always hope, but I’m not watching this one because I’ve had enough pain from these blue bastards over six decades.
Don’t need anymore.

No offence but you need to get a grip. Carlton aren't some super power that have won 5 flags in a row.

Simply out of form yet haven't lost for a month. Please.

People keep suggesting Schultz as a tagger. Something he has never done or shown any signs of being capable of doing in his career to date.
Brysie asked if we had anyone who could potentially play a tagging role.
In answer to his query, I suggested Shoota based purely on his tackling and defensive skills.
I don't really think they would do this, but he has some of the required skills.
I'd like to see him get a run in the midfield - it would get him into the game more than he has so far.
Being a small forward, given the general quality of our forward entries so far this season, is like being sent to a gulag in Siberia.

Brysie asked if we had anyone who could potentially play a tagging role.
In answer to his query, I suggested Shoota based purely on his tackling and defensive skills.
I don't really think they would do this, but he has some of the required skills.
I'd like to see him get a run in the midfield - it would get him into the game more than he has so far.
Being a small forward, given the general quality of our forward entries so far this season, is like being sent to a gulag in Siberia.

Either way, i really want to see a big numbers game out of Shoota soon. Has been underwhelming to date but his numbers seem to be tracking up slowly. A 15-20 touch 3/4 goal from him would be nice.

Either way, i really want to see a big numbers game out of Shoota soon. Has been underwhelming to date but his numbers seem to be tracking up slowly. A 15-20 touch 3/4 goal from him would be nice.
Agreed.

HH came in off the back of a very ordinary game, not unusual.
HH's stats didn't suggest he was worthy of a game, but he did well when he came on.
His score was a textbook crumbing goal.
I hope he gets a full game this week.

HH came in off the back of a very ordinary game, not unusual.
HH had also been emg for multiple weeks
Dont believe thats been the case for bytel at this stage. Others ahead of him and we have a few players in the side that can shuffle to the wing.

HH's stats didn't suggest he was worthy of a game, but he did well when he came on.
His score was a textbook crumbing goal.
I hope he gets a full game this week.
Spot on. It will come down to who they think can play the roles best and for me, it's Bytel and Fin. That's if Mitchell and JDG miss

HH had also been emg for multiple weeks
Dont believe thats been the case for bytel at this stage. Others ahead of him and we have a few players in the side that can shuffle to the wing.
That's true but we look like missing 2 quality mids and that will change the selection criteria I reckon. I think HH will be sub again. This is just my opinion so it probably doesn't mean much

Ok, so Mitchell and JGD out, although I think JDG will play even if spending more time FWD.
We really really need the 2023 form out of the following:
JDaicos,
Crisp
Cox
WHE
IQ
Sidebum
They are very influential. If they can lift a fraction we’d have it over Carlscum’s very ordinary B grade players, they have few.
Need to replace Mitchell with Macrae, you can’t ignore 31 possessions in VFL as a 21 year old.
As Geelong did, we play from the back half, crowd the marking contest, they don’t have the quality small forwards to take advantage.
The key to a win is our forwards they fire and we win.
Note. My better half is a blues supporter so, please pies get this done.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That's true but we look like missing 2 quality mids and that will change the selection criteria I reckon. I think HH will be sub again. This is just my opinion so it probably doesn't mean much
I do agree it feels like we are already a mid short playing as we are.

If both Titch and JDG are out, our task will be gigantuan.
But we have a history of responding to such challenges, like last year when we had no recognised rucks.
So in this worst case scenario of both out, Crisp has to play permanently through the midfield, and most likely we will have to have Naicos running through as well. So maybe Markov comes in to reinforce the HB line and use his rebound energy off HB.
Fin gets another chance to play as the in and under mid we so desperately need.
HH plays the full game.
I think we might need to be brave, and manage Sidey, making Sullivan the sub. Ánother pure midfielder would be good to have up our sleeve.
So, I m thinking, in this doomsday scenario:
OUT: JDG, Titch (inj), Sidey (managed)
IN: Oleg, Fin, Sully. SUB: Sully
The other possibility, though it would take extremely brave selectors, would be:
Sully selected in the 22 with Oleg the Sub. Oleg, with his speed, could be a very impactful sub, and Sullivan gets his debut, as well as sharing the load with Fin to try to hold up Carlton's mids. Would be a huge test for both, but sometimes necessity begets unexpectedly positive outcomes.

Last edited:
Mc14 GIF by MasterChefAU

No JDG + No Mitchell + No McStay + No Murphy ever again = The bluest Friday night I have ever had to endure. :huh: :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been an advocate for Finn - but to use injuries as some slap in the face, for our genuine interest in trying to find our next generation of talent is just comical.
Is this where I suggest that if we'd given kids exposure earlier, then we would not be in this predicament of uncertainty about who's ready to step up?

Fin has played 16 or 17 games in part or in full and never been able to prove to the coaches that he can be trusted to perform to a sufficient level in the all-important centre square. His impact in all those games has been modest at best.

You blame the coaches for not GIVING Fin enough opportunities. I blame Fin for not seizing his (limited) opportunities to EARN more game time.

By contrast Harvey Harrison did so in his one quarter on the huge stage of Anzac Day, albeit in a different role. I’m quietly confident that Sullivan will grab his chance too when it comes along.

I do hope Fin comes good and proves you right but as things stand I’d put it to you that Brayden Sier showed more in his similar length tenure and opportunities than Fin Macrae has to date.

Play Maynard in the centre square on Cripps. Stick Crisp in there for a full game too. Rotate Pendles, Lippa, Nick, Jamie and Schultz through the middle too.

And pray for some miracles, such as (minor) in-game injuries to Walsh and Curnow and McKay’s kicking radar going offline again. Surely that’s not too much to ask?

Fin has played 16 or 17 games in part or in full and never been able to prove to the coaches that he can be trusted to perform to a sufficient level in the all-important centre square. His impact in all those games has been modest at best.

You blame the coaches for not GIVING Fin enough opportunities. I blame Fin for not seizing his (limited) opportunities to EARN more game time.

By contrast Harvey Harrison did so in his one quarter on the huge stage of Anzac Day, albeit in a different role. I’m quietly confident that Sullivan will grab his chance too when it comes along.

I do hope Fin comes good and proves you right but as things stand I’d put it to you that Brayden Sier showed more in his similar length tenure and opportunities than Fin Macrae has to date.

I think I’ve made my point very clearly on several ocassions. Finn is more than worthy of selection given his VFL performances, which reinforce the optimism with which Fly spoke in the preseason about his progress.
He got 37% TOG a few weeks ago - writing him off with such a small size is ridiculous.
He’s killing it in the VFL and gone to a level well beyond that of previous years, so his historical senior performances are irrelevant.

I knew the break between Anzac day and our next game was too far apart, the spot fires have started already and it's only Monday. Arguing with spinny is like having an octopus stuck on your face, no matter what you do, there's always at least one tentacle sucking part of your face off. In all honesty, chill fellas, we'll beat Carlton with or without Mitchell and JDG

I think I’ve made my point very clearly on several ocassions. Finn is more than worthy of selection given his VFL performances, which reinforce the optimism with which Fly spoke in the preseason about his progress.
He got 37% TOG a few weeks ago - writing him off with such a small size is ridiculous.
He’s killing it in the VFL and gone to a level well beyond that of previous years, so his historical senior performances are irrelevant.

Well, you’re going to get your wish.

With DeGoey and Mitchell likely out this week and potentially longer, it’s time for this 4th year, 22 year-old, first-round draft pick to show that he can translate his VFL form to the AFL arena and play at the necessary level to help the team get through a big challenge.

I was wondering about JDG having an injury and thought groin as his kicking has been way off.

If he and Mitchell don't come up, Elliott/McCreery in the centre and give either MacRae/McInnes full game the other sub.

Maybe even give the Sarge a go in the centre.

Time for the coach to think outside the box.

I was wondering about JDG having an injury and thought groin as his kicking has been way off.

If he and Mitchell don't come up, Elliott/McCreery in the centre and give either MacRae/McInnes full game the other sub.
His form has been down and as you suggest the groin is more than likely the culprit. He hasn't had the explosivness all year and that's usually groin related. Good call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back