Preview R:8 - Swans v Giants - 1:45pm SCG - Saturday 4 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS have a great defensive setup. In Taylor, HH and Buckley, they have one of the strongest tall defender group. Idun is capable of playing on any type of forward, good height and moves very well. Whitfield, Perryman and Ash all dangerous off HB. The fact that Haynes, Leek and Cummings most probably won't be selected is a good indication how strong the Giants defence is. I rate them the best in the league and if we are not slick on our delivery, it will be a very long night.

GWS have a great defensive setup. In Taylor, HH and Buckley, they have one of the strongest tall defender group. Idun is capable of playing on any type of forward, good height and moves very well. Whitfield, Perryman and Ash all dangerous off HB. The fact that Haynes, Leek and Cummings most probably won't be selected is a good indication how strong the Giants defence is. I rate them the best in the league and if we are not slick on our delivery, it will be a very long night.

Hayward will need to play well this week

I come in peace, for this exact moment.

I may have said some things in the past (2 days ago is still the past and not current) that may have been "degrading" to your club. But I'm a big enough Giant to admit that this is probably going to be the biggest, if not the best, Sydney Derby during the H&A since day dot.
Of course some have said there is a Sydney Derby GF in our future and that would make Vics heads explode so all good and hope that happens. Too early to tell now.
If you didn't degrade our club you wouldn't be respected as a true opposition supporter (who we don't respect anyway).
If we played off in the GF then the Tele may even have it on the 2nd back page!

A tough game in the wet makes for a perfect return for Parker… the conditions will suit him to a tee.
Agree with many that it’s time to give Amartey a rest… and Sheldrick as the sub sounds good too.
I’m super excited for this one and am expecting our boys will be raring to go against their crosstown rivals … just p1ssed about the weather forecast though, not only for the game but also as I’m playing in the final of the club foursomes on Sunday morning 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the amount of rain coming down for the next week, I reckon a couple of changes could be useful. I'm keeping Amartey for longer-term this year in the side but with all this rain, we don't need him as badly I think up forward. You do need a solid contest in the air ahead of the ball, but I think McLean and Logan can do a good enough job in the wet given how slippery the ball is gonna be to bring it to ground and let the smalls pressure and tackle. Parker for Amartey makes sense to me but I reckon Sheldrick as sub could also be the way to go. Couldn't have more perfect weather for him to shine and if we brought him on in the 2nd half to get in the guts and win some ball as a fresh man, it could be just the tonic needed. Not convinced Rampe will play this week but if he does, the very unfortunate guy to go out is Fox.

So at this stage I'd go with the following:

B: Florent - Melican - Cunningham
HB: Blakey - McCartin - Roberts
C: Gulden - Rowbottom - Lloyd
HF: McInerney - McDonald - Adams
F: Papley - McLean - Hayward
R: Grundy - Heeney - Warner

I/C: Wicks - Fox/Rampe - Jordon - Parker

Sub: Sheldrick

Emer: Mitchell - Francis - Ladhams

So Hamling was just cover for a Melican/McCartin injury? i feel he is to good to be playing in the 2s
I think we probably brought him in under the assumption that he could push for and earn a senior spot. He was given that chance over the pre-season but Melican beat him to it. And it's probably become clear why in the first two months of the season, where Melican has really impressed at AFL level whilst Hamling's barely standing out at VFL level.

I'm keeping Amartey for longer-term this year in the side but with all this rain, we don't need him as badly I think up forward. You do need a solid contest in the air ahead of the ball, but I think McLean and Logan can do a good enough job in the wet given how slippery the ball is gonna be to bring it to ground and let the smalls pressure and tackle.

Dont trust Logan yet to compete in the air every week. Was a lot better against Hawks as he should be but if hes off against the best KPD in Sam Taylor nothing will come to ground and I’d rather Amartey be another target

Cognilio coming back in for the Giants will actually help us imo. He’ll push out Finn Callaghan back to the wing and wont be as damaging with 30 touches, he’ll go back down to sub 20

Dont trust Logan yet to compete in the air every week. Was a lot better against Hawks as he should be but if hes off against the best KPD in Sam Taylor nothing will come to ground and I’d rather Amartey be another target

But in pouring rain, it'll be harder for both key forwards and key defenders to take marks in contested situations. Given the importance of intercepting marks in the current way the game is played, you could argue the forecasted weather takes the importance of those kind of marks away and heightens the importance of crumbing and skills in tight in the forward 50; the ability to take quick chances in congestion. They've got fleet footed small forwards who go up and back excellently but I'm not sure they're proven as quick chance takers, other than Toby Greene of course and maybe Brent Daniels. Papley on our end is pretty good in that respect, Wicks as well so might be line ball.

I think the rain is helpful for us in taking their game away from them a little and making it a more scrappy affair. That said, it might mean Tom Green and Kieren Briggs goes berserk so could be swings and roundabouts.

I come in peace, for this exact moment.

I may have said some things in the past (2 days ago is still the past and not current) that may have been "degrading" to your club. But I'm a big enough Giant to admit that this is probably going to be the biggest, if not the best, Sydney Derby during the H&A since day dot.
Of course some have said there is a Sydney Derby GF in our future and that would make Vics heads explode so all good and hope that happens. Too early to tell now.
1714440688901.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back